Water Fountains And Scoop-Free Litter Boxes

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to have a ferplast Vega, then tried a different one. Charly won't leave it one though. He started pawing at it like crazy after a year or so of using it. He will try everything to open it, push it over, etc and usually succeeds. I gave up for now and went back to bowls unfortunately.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for a stainless steel pioneer raindrop fountain. Ours is probably 3 years old and still going strong.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got one! Do you push the tiny lever to the right on the motor to make it go?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The lever just controls the flow (I keep it at a low trickle so it doesn't scare my cat). To turn it on just plug it in.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
The lever just controls the flow (I keep it at a low trickle so it doesn't scare my cat). To turn it on just plug it in.
Got it! Took me a minute to figure it out: if any other person has assembly questions, happy to help! It is VERY quiet. (Now hopefully my cat won’t snub it).

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you really don’t want to scoop then take a look at litter sifters. This is a screened box that you can sit inside an empty litter box and then dump the contents of the used litter box through it. The good litter flows through and the clumps can be dumped in a bin. It is heavy to dump a whole box but I use lightweight litter and I
like being done with cleaning in 30 seconds. It is also a very thorough way of getting all the tiny bits out of the box.

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got this one from Amazon. I recommend (like I do so often) to buy two. This will make it much easier to keep them clean and sanitary as you can swap in a clean one and then clean the dirty one "offline" (aka on your own dang time instead of the cat's.) I also use simple large or extra large litterboxes with no hoods. I buy those in pairs as well. Once a month I swap in a fresh fountain and a fresh box and clean the dirties without leaving kitty without services.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7J4PBQ/?tag=thecatsite

I like this one because it visually shows you when the water is low (the basin is illuminated blue) and it tells you when to change the filter. If you buy filters in pairs too, you won't be caught off guard.

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Avoid plastic; breeds bacteria and is hard to clean.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Bought both Raindrop fountain & banana catnip toy for Zorro: big snub! …Maybe when you’ve reached a certain seniority, what you really appreciate is just daily attention and sharing quality time, neither of which can be bought on a website. So, we went outside and had a sun bath & chewed the fat & one of us purred.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bought both Raindrop fountain & banana catnip toy for Zorro: big snub! …Maybe when you’ve reached a certain seniority, what you really appreciate is just daily attention and sharing quality time, neither of which can be bought on a website. So, we went outside and had a sun bath & chewed the fat & one of us purred.
*Hoping that next time, you BOTH purr!*:catlove:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista would summit the nightstand to drink from my water glass.
90A7A07C-CB22-4E8F-B242-44D0F6BA0149.jpeg
So I got her her own glass and nightstand. Sometimes she drank from it.
8124B89D-A975-4F39-93BD-02E03CFB2FB0.jpeg
Often she was back to mine. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹
366B6D45-66D2-4E10-9BE9-D2437C64FB92.jpeg
Sharing is caring. 😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can also recommend the Pioneer Raindrop (Stainless Steel) and the Drinkwell 360 (also SS). I have and use both in my house.
As they say "4 out of 5 cats recommend them".

However, and this is a Huge However, it you want a zero maintenance water fountain, check out AquaPurr. https://aquapurr.com/ .
In it's standard configuration, you set it up in a bathroom sink (whose cats don't follow them into the bathroom anyway), and when they want water, they go up to it and use it.

The only improvements I've made to mine is:
1) I hooked mine up direct to the water hose under the kitchen sink. No need for a diverter, and I can use the sink at the same time Sam drinks her water (and often do)
2) I drilled a couple of extra 1/2" holes in the case so I could position the sensor appropriately.

And, no, I get no kickbacks or anything for touting this... One day, a couple of years ago, Sam decided that she liked drippys from the sink over the two fountains (above). So much so that when we decided to stop leaving the water drip for hours at an time, she stopped drinking and then needed an emergency vet trip for re-hydration. I figured it was easier to fix the problem than fix the cat, so....

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there any you recommend? I was just looking at them on this site:

Water Fountains:
Shop Pet Fountains by PetSafe

Scoop-free litter boxes:
Shop Litter Boxes products by PetSafe
I got the PetSafe Seaside Stainless fountain, but Buddy refuses to go near it when running, and will only sniff it when turned off, so I cannot really recommend it obviously. Of the ten+ models I looked into, it had the best reviews, the most silent, the cheapest and easiest to source replacement parts, and seemed the best price. Unfortunately Buddy is a scaredy-cat that is convinced everything is a monster out to eat him alive, until proven beyond shadow of doubt otherwise, and a simple stainless steel saucer of water is easiest to prove harmless.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the PetSafe Seaside Stainless fountain, but Buddy refuses to go near it when running, and will only sniff it when turned off, so I cannot really recommend it obviously. Of the ten+ models I looked into, it had the best reviews, the most silent, the cheapest and easiest to source replacement parts, and seemed the best price. Unfortunately Buddy is a scaredy-cat that is convinced everything is a monster out to eat him alive, until proven beyond shadow of doubt otherwise, and a simple stainless steel saucer of water is easiest to prove harmless.
I had that with Delilah and the Catit one. So I wound up with the Petflow II. It was more like a slow cascading waterfall with a large flatter dish area in the front. She was happy with it. I would have liked it better if it wasn't plastic and really ugly, and if it was easier to clean. Eventually I was able to graduate her to a stainless Pioneer Raindrop.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this one is plastic. But my new cat, Betty, took right to it. What I really like about it is that the washable components lift right out of the exterior case without having to disconnect the power. Yes. Turn it off first. But no more reaching into the water to detach/reattach the pump. No more having to muddle around with the power cord every time I need to wash it. Instead, the removable piece has contacts. It’s not dishwasher safe. But you can easily lift it out, wash it and the filter trays in the sink, and reinsert the freshly cleaned bits back into the fountain. The whole teardown, cleaning, reassembly takes maybe five minutes. I have a “wipe down Wednesday” that I dedicate about 10-15 minutes to weekly cleaning tasks—cleaning the cat fountain is one of those tasks.

PETKIT Dog Cat Water Fountain,Automatic Pet Water Fountain with Anti-Dry Burning Pump, Smart/Normal Modes, Water Level Window, Ultra-Quiet, Quadruple Filtration Dog Water Dispenser -2L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7J4PBQ/?tag=thecatsite

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My angel kitty, Krista 😻🌈, she hated fountains of all kinds. But she did sometimes drink from the one above. Mostly she just wanted to drink from my water glass. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this one is plastic. But my new cat, Betty, took right to it. What I really like about it is that the washable components lift right out of the exterior case without having to disconnect the power. Yes. Turn it off first. But no more reaching into the water to detach/reattach the pump. No more having to muddle around with the power cord every time I need to wash it. Instead, the removable piece has contacts. It’s not dishwasher safe. But you can easily lift it out, wash it and the filter trays in the sink, and reinsert the freshly cleaned bits back into the fountain. The whole teardown, cleaning, reassembly takes maybe five minutes. I have a “wipe down Wednesday” that I dedicate about 10-15 minutes to weekly cleaning tasks—cleaning the cat fountain is one of those tasks.

PETKIT Dog Cat Water Fountain,Automatic Pet Water Fountain with Anti-Dry Burning Pump, Smart/Normal Modes, Water Level Window, Ultra-Quiet, Quadruple Filtration Dog Water Dispenser -2L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7J4PBQ/?tag=thecatsite
Unfortunately my studio is tiny (think New York City tiny). The only space for a water fountain is about 3ft from the foot of my bed. That eliminates anything with a light, or runs too loud for my silicone ear plugs to handle. The Seaside fountain wasted about $45. Maybe in six months or so I might try again, if my terrified tomcat ever relaxes, but I can't keep flushing money down the toilet until I find something that doesn't push his panic button or trip his MONSTER! MONSTER! alarm. This month I replenished my $500 emergency vet fund. Next month I need to get vet insurance started. Month after that the goal is a cat tree, since my not-so-senior cat is a climber. Yesterday he tried the bookcase, the shelf gave way, DVDs went everywhere, and he was up late running from one hiding place to another.