Water Dish preferences

Miamha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you all prefer to use for a water dish, bowl, fountain for your cats? I've always used a dish, but the fountains look cool.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have big elevated water bowls and fountains. One of my cats is tall so I use old phone books and towel. She does use one of the fountains. The other she is fascinated by it because of the running water. Never uses it. Just stares at it.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of mine drink much,as they have a PMR diet with blood in with pumpkin for extra moisture (and fibre) with one of their meals, but I always have water out. My boy will drink from anything, but will violently dig from bowls and get the entire floor wet before drinking, while my girl only drinks from the fountain or the sink. As such, they always have access to their fountain, and I’ll also provide water in shallow metallic bowls, so Chips doesn’t have as much water to slosh around. Fountain is definitely the fan fave, but currently not in the budget for me to maintain multiples.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Stainless steel water dishes, both cat's seem to prefer them. My daughter has a cat that likes using cup's she leaves his cup on the side for him.
Jum has tipped my open Nalgene before so she could lap the water off the table. A water bowl was 3 feet away. I’d just changed the water 😓

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jum has tipped my open Nalgene before so she could lap the water off the table. A water bowl was 3 feet away. I’d just changed the water 😓
I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh but that's such typical cat behaviour.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 ceramic water bowls, each placed inside a larger bowl to prevent tipping and to contain minor spills. We also have a fountain; a Drinkwell 360.
Edit. Actually, we have 2 fountains, but only one of them is in use at any given time. It sits on one of those 18" aluminum party platters to catch any drips or spills.

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently most cats prefer drinking from moving water.....the difference from drinking from a still pond or moving stream.

Its very important cats get adequate water intake, especially true for male cats who can develop blockages from urinary tract crystals. We encourage our cats to drink and try to make it pleasant for them to do so.

This is what greg and arnold drink from: (you can get the same one used for half price, just make sure you clean the dish and pump and replace the filter.)

Attachments

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What do you all prefer to use for a water dish, bowl, fountain for your cats? I've always used a dish, but the fountains look cool.
I have three stainless steel dishes placed around the house plus 2 fountains that I bought from Chewy. Cats love the the fountains. It’s the Drinkwell Platinum, it cost about $48 but well worth it for me since I have 12 indoor cats. Lol. But it’s easy to clean and quiet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently most cats prefer drinking from moving water.....the difference from drinking from a still pond or moving stream.

Its very important cats get adequate water intake, especially true for male cats who can develop blockages from urinary tract crystals. We encourage our cats to drink and try to make it pleasant for them to do so.

This is what greg and arnold drink from: (you can get the same one used for half price, just make sure you clean the dish and pump and replace the filter.)
Moving water my cats stares at the bowl. Ceramic bowls she uses.weird

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mine are older Drinkwell which are still working fine. The stainless steel 360 was overrated as the grips which hold the bowl in place were difficult to use and snapped eventually. Personally, I would google pet water fountains and look at some of the newer versions and see what you think would appeal to your cat and fit your decor.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are older Drinkwell which are still working fine. The stainless steel 360 was overrated as the grips which hold the bowl in place were difficult to use and snapped eventually. Personally, I would google pet water fountains and look at some of the newer versions and see what you think would appeal to your cat and fit your decor.
Ours are not the stainless steel, but rather the plastic Drinkwells. .When we rotate one of them out for cleaning, the plastic parts go in the dishwasher. So far, we have had no issues at all. We have had one of them for about 4 years now, and the other about 3 years.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Plastics are an issue for both my cats because they get really painful oozing zits if they use plastic. If you can, try and avoid plastic.

skygem

Guardian of a little old grandpa named Rayleigh
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got Rayleigh, his fosters told me that he didn't really seem interested in the fountain they had gotten for him, so since I had already bought one (petsafe), I decided to use it, but also leave out a stainless steel water bowl that I would exchange for fresh water every time I gave him his meals. But since he wasn't very good with drinking water even with the bowl, I took to mixing some in with his food during every meal time (he's on a 100% wet food diet because he's had a lot of his teeth pulled).

Now that he's gotten more comfortable at home, he's starting to use the fountain, which is great because it means I didn't waste my money 😹 I still mix in some water with his wet food though, because he seems to prefer it that way, and takes longer to finish his food if I don't.