Water broke 36 hours ago? + diability/syndorme?

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat mums water broke yesterday at lunch. Her legs and behind got all wet. So we thought the brith wasnt that far away.
But now it has been 36 hours since the water broke. And no other signs of birth. No contractions or anything.
Mother cat is acting calm. Eating, going to the toilet. But laying a lot in her nest and is a bit more "needy" on us. Buts she doesnt seem to feel ill or something.
I have felt movements in her belly too, so the kittens in there seems fine as far as I can tell.
But how long can it take? I have read that it can go up to 72 hours after the water breaks without it being anything odd.
But what is your experience? When should we get worried?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is mom cat now? Any contractions that you can see? I think when contractions start you should soon see kittens. If contractions start and no kittens come then you need to start watching her closely or then speak to a vet. If an odor is present in any fluid (infection type odor) then a vet should be consulted. Cats can delay birth a pretty good while so just watch for whether contractions start or not. Keep her calm and you stay calm as well. Mom cats do want a calm and relaxing environment around them. Please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!
One hour after I wrote this she started to having contractions! Now they come with a few minutes apart. But mama cat is still very calm. Lays by my feets and wants some support now and then. She was just up to eat a couple of minutes ago. But at least it starts to happen something!
Ill keep you updated!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is great news. The kittens should have dropped lower in her now or soon and then babies may be coming!!Give her lots of pets and calm talk. Maybe just reading to her while you sit beside her and pet. A hand placed on her belly regularly will help you gauge what’s going on.

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is great news. The kittens should have dropped lower in her now or soon and then babies may be coming!!Give her lots of pets and calm talk. Maybe just reading to her while you sit beside her and pet. A hand placed on her belly regularly will help you gauge what’s going on.
Cat mum is still really calm. Sleeping in between the contractions. You can see her stomach tighten up. And she get a bit uncomfortable when it happens. But she likes me to pet her stomach, so I do. She also has one 4 week old kitten we already have from our other cat (she got 6 kittens 6/6) in her nest that she cuddles with (that kitten loves her more than her real mum). And that seems to keep her calm and satisfied.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First stage labor takes about 24 hours until pushing begins.

Do you plan to spay your cats after these litters wean? Please keep them away from intact males in the meantime.

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other cat mum is going to be. She had an unplanned litter when we took care of her.
This cat mum is an indoor persian cat and this is a planned litter with our other male persian.

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now three little kittens are born. Everything went well.

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 kitens that is 5 days old today.
The problem is that they scream, especially one of them, like craaaazy when the mother isnt with them. Shes with them most of the time. But when she leaves them for shorter breaks to eat and go to the toilet they go nuts! Especially one of them can sound like a fire alarm for 20 minutes straight, while the other ones are resting at last. When mama cat is there, they are all quiet.
Out other kittens we have had before have never sounded like this, thats why I wonder if its something wrong? They seem to eat and grow as they should. The one that is screaming isnt smaller than the others.
I dont know what to do. Or how I know there is something wrong? But it stresses me out when one of them is sounding like a fire alarm the second the mother isnt there and doing it for so long, and doesnt get any rest, but the other ones are sleeping, like our six other kittens we had before also did when the mother went away after feeding them.
What to do?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Limited experience here, but we have had a few foster "families" of cats and most of them at 5 days have vocalized whenever Mama cat leaves the nest. How long does Mama stay away from them at a time? Do you know has she ever had kittens before? Is she readily letting them nurse, or does she act painful when they do?

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Limited experience here, but we have had a few foster "families" of cats and most of them at 5 days have vocalized whenever Mama cat leaves the nest. How long does Mama stay away from them at a time? Do you know has she ever had kittens before? Is she readily letting them nurse, or does she act painful when they do?
Its her first kittens. And she let them nurse for long period of times. And shes really in the nest with them most of the time.
Out of 9 kittens that we have had I have never experienced this screaming. Its so loud and like a fire alarm. The other two kittens falls asleep pretty quick. But the fire alarm one just screams and screams.
She leaves them for around 10-20 minutes at a time. And nursing them fine, as what I have seen. So I dont really know if the loud constant screaming is a problem or not?

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And this constat screaming have started today. But excalated over a few days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is likely experiencing separation anxiety. Go to the box and try to comfort the kitten when it begins screaming. Pet gently with the tips of your fingers, or hold it next to your chest. It will hopefully outgrow this phase soon. It means he is becoming more aware of his surroundings.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IDK about in cats, but in dogs, a first time mother is usually a little unsure of what they should be doing. Sometimes they don't go for the cuddle and protect at all costs, and take frequent breaks from the babies. Even 10-20 minutes is a long time for a 5 day old kitten to be without Mama. Is the Mama confined to a room with her kittens in their box? I'd encourage her to stay with them as much as possible until the kittens are a little older. Are you weighing the babies daily to make sure they're all gaining? Do you see her cleaning them and getting them to pee and poop? Also if you posted a picture or two, I wouldn't be mad ;)

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 persian kittens that is 4 weeks old.
But one of them look a bit strange and we're wondering if he have some sort of diability/syndorme or something?
One of hes eyes is further down on his face than the other, and his nose and mouth is kind of crocked. His chin is a bit slimmer on one side. Hes face isnt even really.
Hes the smallest of the bunch (was biggest at birth with his 103 grams, the other weight 88 and 90 grams). But hes eating fine, both nursing and is really into catfood too. Hes running aroung like his siblings, but is a bit more loud.
The other two kittens are fine and just like "normal" persian kittens.
Anyone who knows more about this? What can it be?

This is some pictures of him (he has some food around his mouth becuase he had just eaten when the photos where taken).

jabba.jpg

jabba2.jpg

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a picture of him as a newborn, and I think that you can see something off with him here already. Back then I didnt react on it, just thought I took a little funny picture of him.
(Hes cute tho)
😍

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His face is formed a bit differently than most Persians, so it may just be a slight genetic quirk. It sounds like he’s acting fairly normal though, but he should not be bred ever.

I would get him vet checked for a possible cleft palate or other issues, though it sounds like he eats, but perhaps not enough. Time will tell how he develops in other ways.

Is this the kitten who was screaming?

Let us know what the vet says! He’s very cute though!

Kattmamman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His face is formed a bit differently than most Persians, so it may just be a slight genetic quirk. It sounds like he’s acting fairly normal though, but he should not be bred ever.

I would get him vet checked for a possible cleft palate or other issues, though it sounds like he eats, but perhaps not enough. Time will tell how he develops in other ways.

Is this the kitten who was screaming?

Let us know what the vet says! He’s very cute though!
Thank you so much for your answer.
He is acting pretty normal yes, just looks a bit different.
Hes screaming a lot when hes out walking, or is alone, but if I sit down with him he gets quiet. Hes very cuddly and curious. But yes, he looks a bit different.
He has been very quiet until now. Another kitten screamed a lot when they where around two weeks old, but that wasnt him.

Ill let the vet check him up and I will keep his weight under observation.