Watching...and Waiting for Squirrel TV to come on

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get afraid with the deer.😄 Downright terrified with the bears!😂😂😂
I don't blame them about the bears. 😱 We used to go to Gatlinburg, TN often. We always rented a cabin. One day, we were driving back to the cabin and we saw a large bear standing on the side of the road eating out of a trash bin. In my infinite wisdom, I told my husband to stop the car and let me take a picture. We had seen bears on all fours but never standing up like that. I get out of the car and try to snap a photo but my arms are shaking so bad with fear. (Mind you I had the car in between me and the bear and we weren't that close). My husband thought it would be funny to hit the gas and move the car a foot down the road, leaving me standing there with no protection.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother/sister bonded pair. Every morning at 6AM. Squirrel TV.

You can buy squirrel food or feed them unsalted nuts. I feed the local squirrels once a month. They love unsalted peanuts & walnuts) because I saw a squirrel video that says they love walnuts.) BTW if you want a laugh look up “squirrel ninja warrior” on YouTube. This guy built a ninja warrior obstacle course for the squirrels in his yard. 🤣🤣🤣

⭐if you buy the bird food with chili oil on it; mammals/squirrels will not eat it. Birds can’t taste the spice & are free to pig out

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband thought it would be funny to hit the gas and move the car a foot down the road, leaving me standing there with no protection.
Your husband sounds like he would be great friends with mine.😄 That's something he would do too.
For mine, I even have a video of mine seeing one for the first time. We'd moved into a home literally tucked away in the woods. I'd put out wildlife cams and one had my cat's window in it.
Big ole bear walks onto my deck. Soon as he leaves the frame, you can see my cat standing up in the window staring out the window. HUGE eyes. You can almost hear his thoughts going... What the hell was THAT!?!😳 It was pretty funny.
There are days my cats suck. But that was priceless

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother/sister bonded pair. Every morning at 6AM. Squirrel TV.View attachment 393582
Your cats are adorable. Do you feed the squirrels? I used to feed them when I had a house. One day we were having a blizzard and there were quite a few of them eating the sunflower seeds I put out the night before. When I put out more seeds more squirrels started showing up. The more seeds I put out the more squirrels would show up. I ended up with about 50 squirrels in my tiny yard that day and my 8 cats were having a fit inside trying to get to them.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't blame them about the bears. 😱 We used to go to Gatlinburg, TN often. We always rented a cabin. One day, we were driving back to the cabin and we saw a large bear standing on the side of the road eating out of a trash bin. In my infinite wisdom, I told my husband to stop the car and let me take a picture. We had seen bears on all fours but never standing up like that. I get out of the car and try to snap a photo but my arms are shaking so bad with fear. (Mind you I had the car in between me and the bear and we weren't that close). My husband thought it would be funny to hit the gas and move the car a foot down the road, leaving me standing there with no protection.
That would be about the time I filed for divorce.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy squirrel food or feed them unsalted nuts.
You can buy dried corn on the cob at places like Walmart, etc. It's specially sold for use as squirrel and chipmunk food.

You'll have to tie it down, somehow, to prevent the critters from carrying off the whole cob. There are squirrel feeders that you can buy that are like cages which are hung from a hook or nail. I have one of those and it works well but I decided that there is a better way.

Get a large screw eye with a coarse thread and a piece of jack chain, about three feet long. Both are available at Walmart or other usual places. Screw the screw eye into the corncob so it won't pull out then use the chain to tie it to something sturdy like a fence post or table leg. Squirrels and chipmunks will be able to have their fill of tasty corn kernels but won't be able to steal the whole thing.

Here's a video of my invention in action:

Critter watching is also one of our cat, Casper's, favorite activities.
He'll sit by the patio door for hours, supervising the back yard, waiting for birds and critters to come.

As a matter of fact, Casper knows the word "door."
If you say that word within earshot, he'll come a'running and wait for you to open it for him. :lol:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caspers Human the squirrels here are kinda eh about corn. Peanuts? They love! Sunflower seeds? They will eat them. Corn? They save it for last, then only eat the tiny kernel inside & toss the rest! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I bought them squirrel food & they always eat the corn last. I do buy them raw unsalted: almonds, walnuts & I even gave them pumpkin seeds. I buy the bags of nuts at the $ store & mix it into the squirrel food.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caspers Human the squirrels here are kinda eh about corn.
That stinks! Squirrels go nuts for corn, here, in Pennsyltucky.

I wonder if it's because squirrels in Cali. aren't exposed to corn as much as they are in PA.
Around this neck of the woods, you can't throw a rock without hitting a corn field. I don't think corn is a popular crop on the left coast.

Casper's Girl-Human is originally from CA. She says that the squirrels and chippies, out here, are different.
She also says that the Eastern Coyote is different than the ones out west. I don't know. I've seen a hundred coyotes around here but not in the west.

Walnuts are also a biggie for squirrels, around here, too. If it wasn't so expensive to buy them, compared to corn, I'd probably feed them to the critters, too.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Koshka completely ignores squirrels. Ever since she body slammed the window and nearly knocked herself unconscious, that is. The squirrel, afraid at first, soon learned she could not get to him, and he began taunting her by jumping around in front of the window. She now pretends they don’t exist.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we first got Casper, I replaced the screen on the patio door (the one you see in my video) with pet resistant screen.

The first time I opened the door for Casper, he saw a chipmunk and pounced at it. He hit that screen, full force, but only bounced off like a trampoline! I'm sure it wasn't so funny for Casper but, I'm sorry, I couldn't help laughing!

Casper walked away with that, "I meant to do that," look that cats are so famous for. ;) ;) ;)

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am interested in the pet proof screen. Our apartment is on the 7th floor and we have a standard mossie screen, nylon mesh in an aluminium frame held in the window frame by 4 small pieces of metal. I haven't found any better solutions in Kiev and gave now doubt at all that even the lightest of our girls could knock the whole damn thing out of the window.
Paul
Kiev