Washing cat food dishes

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This is odd but am sharing it just in case anyone else experiences it. I have had several weeks of Willow sometimes refusing to eat her wet food. I assumed it was related to a switch in cat food brands since the kind she likes, Crave, is no longer produced. But one day she would eat the new brand with gusto and a day later refuse to even taste it. She has never been fussy about wet food so this new behavior has been very concerning.

After some detective work it turns the problem was that during this period of refusing her food I had occasionally hand washed some of her dishes instead of running them through the dishwasher. Even though they were well rinsed and dried, they must have carried an unfamiliar scent that she really didn’t like. Once I washed all of her dishes in the dishwasher she has consistently eaten whatever wet food I give her.

So if your cat is suddenly picky about their food it’s worth checking to see if there are any new and therefore unfamiliar scents on their dishes.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is odd but am sharing it just in case anyone else experiences it. I have had several weeks of Willow sometimes refusing to eat her wet food. I assumed it was related to a switch in cat food brands since the kind she likes, Crave, is no longer produced. But one day she would eat the new brand with gusto and a day later refuse to even taste it. She has never been fussy about wet food so this new behavior has been very concerning.

After some detective work it turns the problem was that during this period of refusing her food I had occasionally hand washed some of her dishes instead of running them through the dishwasher. Even though they were well rinsed and dried, they must have carried an unfamiliar scent that she really didn’t like. Once I washed all of her dishes in the dishwasher she has consistently eaten whatever wet food I give her.

So if your cat is suddenly picky about their food it’s worth checking to see if there are any new and therefore unfamiliar scents on their dishes.
good to know thanks i have been considering using vinegar to get rid of the hard water stains in graycies food and water bowls thus far i just toss em out and buy new ones every few months

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Handwashing dishes is fine, just use a non-scented one that doesn't contain lotion or antibacterial stuff or anything else. I use Seventh General Free and Clear dish soap.

Plain blue Dawn Original is one of the more familiar brands that is widely available.

But cats being cats, even a non scented dish soap may be "yucky" if they're used to a dish washed in a dishwasher :crazy:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I handwash all my cat's dishes between meals with blue Dawn and hot water. Never have had any issues. They get run through the dishwasher when we have enough to run it, usually twice a week.
:yeah: Ditto! I do the same, i.e. hand wash but a different brand of dish soap with hot water as you mentioned and run them through the dishwasher with the other dishes when I have a full load. In all the years we've had cats I've done it this way and have never had a problem. But it's a good tip to know about the scent being different between hand washing and the dishwasher. 👍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think there is anything wrong with hand washing or dishwasher washing for that matter. Just if they are used to one scent and then another is introduced they may, like Willow, refuse their food.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I hand wash my boy's ceramic plate with mild detergent and rinse well after each meal. Every day I'll soak his plate with hot water so to kill whatever bacteria that is harbored if there is in between hairline cracks.

After a period of time, I'll change a new ceramic plate for him. So far, no issues of not eating from all the plates he has except that when he's not hungry when food is served.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use one of those stainless steel bowls, and have always washed without soap. they get put through the dish washer about once a week...I haven’t had an issue yet, but then again, my cats are hardly fussy.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a small Corelle dish for G's were food; a stainless for dry food.. a stainless bowl for water.
Since I do ton have a dishwasher, I use Dawn soap.. the same as use.. and wash with my own dishes.. rinsing all very well. and I let them air dry.