Was Probiocin enough? Stray kitten, extremely soft-to-liquid stools.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have another thread explaining we adopted a stray kitten on Wednesday (august 26th).
A coworker got him off the streets and had him for a few days, but they had too many animals that were stressing him out so they asked if we could take him and we did. I have no idea of his history beyond this.

He's 5lbs and estimated 4.5-5mo

That night he did have very very mushy but not quiet liquid stools, and he went several times. I took him to the vet the next day, and he was tested for heartworm / fiv / felv, all negative. They did not do a stool sample because he was VERY upset, they had to come out and ask permission to put him in a cat bag in order to get blood.
Since I have a 6mo kitten already we had to make sure of the felv/fiv, so we told them to go ahead (other option was sedation).
Because of his tummy issues, we also didn't vaccinate him yet.
They gave me Probiocin 15g to give 1g a day, and Centragard topical to deworm him as a precaution. Otherwise they were pretty unconcerned with his stool.

He doesn’t really have any other symptoms but he’s very sleepy, I have no way of knowing if that's just him though. He plays with my other kitten for a long time or me if I get the wand (I hear him and Winnie tearing through the house tackling each other at the moment). He’s eating and drinking.
He has a weak raspy meow but I’m starting to think that’s just his meow and he only uses it when he wants people food (we haven’t given him any),
His eyes are clear and no runny nose or anything.
His breathing is fine as far as I can tell.
I have not saw worms in his poo, or blood.

When I think of diarrhea I think of an uncontrollable episode but that’s not really what he is having. It’s just that when he does go, it’s liquid. He is going a few more times a day then Winnie, my healthy kitten, but again, it's not a TON. He always makes it to the box.

I’m leaning on the side of it being new home, new cat stress, total change in diet (whatever he has on the streets and then whatever the co worker fed him for a few days).
Also maybe the foods I have are too rich for him? I have lots of high protein limited carb wet food, and very high protein, low carb dry foods. I also have a bag of meow mix leftover from when I adopted my first kitten and that’s what she was eating.
The first night I gave him a tin of wet kitten food, which he gobbled down, but after that he really only wants dry food. He was trying to get my dogs kibbles (he can’t get them now), and there’s only one wet food he’ll eat but it’s pretty rich (weruva lamb burgini). I’ve been giving him tiki cat kitten dry food, mostly. He drinks a lot of water.

Should I try the meow mix? It’s an awful food but maybe easier to digest because it’s not so rich? Should I not allow any wet food? The vet told me to avoid it for now as it can make things worse, but I've always thought the opposite with cats, and I really want him to get extra fluid while this is happening, especially.

I could boil chicken and rice? Just wondering what else I can try here. I'll certainly go back to the vets if things don't improve soon, but they were so unconcerned that I feel silly. I am not sure how long I should give the Probiocin, today was his second does. and he just had the Centragard last night. I waited a day after the vets to start treatment since he was so stressed from the visit, and I hate putting topicals on stressed animals.

It was pretty bad early this morning and late last night, pretty much pure liquid - thinner then pudding. However, his last 2 poos have been EVER so slightly more formed - and I use that word mildly - it's still pure mush, but it piled instead of puddled. I did get him to finally eat some pumpkin a few hours ago, it took a bit to figure out how to get him to eat some (mixed it into the Weruva and microwaved it for a few seconds).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I"m thinking it very well may be the change in food, richness of the food. But am also wondering if that Meow Mix may now be expired since it was for your other kitty? It's really hard to say at this point. Could be ALL of the factors you mentioned. It's also possible he has some parasite other than worms and the only way to find out is to get the Vet a sample of his poop, which you could just take in rather than have them take it from him. But if you don't want to do that just yet, I would continue with the Probiocin, continue mixing in some pumpkin into whatever he eats (even dry food should work) and see how it goes.

I definitely agree that he needs lots of moisture while he's got diarrhea, so it's good he's drinking a lot. Since he's already having to adjust to (probably) a new food, I don't know that having him on whatever your other kitten is eating is really a problem. I would think ANY food may be a problem with his digestive tract, so why bother switching him again in a few weeks to the better stuff, if that makes since. Maybe just feed the kibble for a couple of days to see if he firms up, (along with the probiotic and pumpkin), and then every so slowly introduce a little bit of wet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I"m thinking it very well may be the change in food, richness of the food. But am also wondering if that Meow Mix may now be expired since it was for your other kitty? It's really hard to say at this point. Could be ALL of the factors you mentioned. It's also possible he has some parasite other than worms and the only way to find out is to get the Vet a sample of his poop, which you could just take in rather than have them take it from him. But if you don't want to do that just yet, I would continue with the Probiocin, continue mixing in some pumpkin into whatever he eats (even dry food should work) and see how it goes.

I definitely agree that he needs lots of moisture while he's got diarrhea, so it's good he's drinking a lot. Since he's already having to adjust to (probably) a new food, I don't know that having him on whatever your other kitten is eating is really a problem. I would think ANY food may be a problem with his digestive tract, so why bother switching him again in a few weeks to the better stuff, if that makes since. Maybe just feed the kibble for a couple of days to see if he firms up, (along with the probiotic and pumpkin), and then every so slowly introduce a little bit of wet?
Thank you for the response! About the Meow Mix, the bag is about 4 months old and was stored in an airtight container, so I wouldn't think it is expired. I haven't fed it for a few days anyhow, because as you said, I figured anything was going to tear his tummy up so might as well do it with something healthier... I was just wondering if it might be LESS tore up with a less rich food, but, a few days have gone by and it's not so different so, I'm not sure it matters.

I think he's gone three times today - mushy all times however it's now almost 6pm and hes not gone since about 11am. That's probably the longest he's gone without having to poo, he has peed a few times. Maybe a good sign? I hope so. I am just keeping a hawk eye on both of them for poos now. Winnies was getting a little mushy (just a bit at the end), but I think it is because she was stealing some Meow Mix when I had it out and now she is wanting more dry food then she usually eats, copying him! Nothing to the level he is experiencing although I know if she starts getting bad, then it's likely a parasite. I've been doing my best to clean out the box as soon as one of them goes. For some ungodly reason they've decided they both want the boxes in the living room, and haven't touched the one in the bedroom anymore.

I bought some unflavored pedialyte. I did the skin tent test on both of them and it seems fine, wondering if I should give at least the boy a little bit anyhow? Either way, I have some on hand now.

I've not given any wet today just to see how he does - maybe that's why he hasn't gone since this morning? Just had Tiki Cat Kitten today, water, and his probiocin.

Otherwise, still seems healthy. They played quite a bit today, and I caught them plopped together in the window perch for the first time, Winnie grooming his head, lol.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unflavored pedialyte is always a good idea with diarrhea. Helps even out any lost electrolytes. Hoping no parasites :crossfingers:.

So happy he and Winnie are already getting along so well. Makes it so much less stressful on everyone :lol:

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we finally had a poo. He went about 9 hours since his last one. Sadly, it was still just mush :( I was really hopeful since he was going a lot more yesterday.

Winnie also went, and it was fine, so that's a good sign for now.

I gave him about 1.5oz of the Weruva, and I put in 15ml of pedialyte and a bit less than a teaspoon of pumpkin. Licked the plate clean. I hope that was an acceptable way to give it, as most instructions are about cats that have other symptoms, and are refusing water and need it to be given directly? Also, should that be enough for now - 15ml a day, to try and keep dehydration at bay? Again, most advice was directed at cats whom were already dehydrated, and need it hourly.

I also set up the fountain I got Winnie that she ignored, and he's fascinated with it, so he's drinking from it just because it's there, which is great.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve never been so excited about about poop!
We just had a shaped poo! It’s still super mush, but it’s his first poo with form! I even took a photo before he got it buried.
DEA97F3C-B3C7-4414-BBEC-64348DF0EB5C.jpeg

So much better - everything else has been literal puddles.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well... I guess I spoke too soon! :(

He just went again ( about 8 hours later ), and it was sort of worse then ever. I say sort of because it wasn’t pure liquid as before, it piled cow-patty like and there were a few distinct shapes, whereas a few days ago it was just a puddle of liquid. However, the amount that came out was significantly more then other times, probably 2.5x more then his normal amount, and it was very noisy on the way out. Same color as above photo. It stinks, like poo, but it is not like more offensive then healthy poo. I think Winnies have always stunk more.

Considering the earlier poo, and the 8-hour without poo, I thought we were on an upswing but it seems not yet :(

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another poo update.

Husband cleaned the boxes while I was asleep early this morning so I’m not sure what if any happened from 2am-11am, but he went as soon as i got up and it was back to mushy but formed (so better, again).

I’m not sure why it’s not being consistent. But at least we’ve seemed to move past the pure liquid stage, I haven’t saw that for a few days now.

I ordered some Saccharomyces Boulardii which I read a lot about. I can use it along side the Probiocin since it’s a yeast. It should be arriving in a few hours.

Hes still in great spirits (actually, I feel like he looks brighter in his face recently), and his skin test is fine. Still giving pedialyte and small amounts of pumpkin.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm wondering if the "noisiness" from the other night was gas coming out along with the "cow paddy"? I would think that might be. The S. Boulardi is a great idea! Fingers crossed that he starts producing more formed stools quickly. Glad he seems to be feeling well at least.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if the "noisiness" from the other night was gas coming out along with the "cow paddy"? I would think that might be. The S. Boulardi is a great idea! Fingers crossed that he starts producing more formed stools quickly. Glad he seems to be feeling well at least.
Maybe it was gas! I'm not sure. It was very noisy. He doesn't really have gas otherwise, but I do feel his tummy rumbling sometimes!

We had another poo - around 9 pm, so 9 hours between - and it was still formed! Maybe even a bit more formed then earlier's. Still not where it needs to be, but that's the first time he's done two "better" poos in a row! We're getting a bit longer between each one, too.

I added the S. Boulardi to his food tonight, here's hoping it makes a big difference!

What the heck is in Probiocin? I think he's becoming addicted to it. He recognizes the syringe and gets really happy and squeaks for it, LOL.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hesitant to think S. Boulardi could have had any effect that quickly, he'd only gotten one dose and he didn't get all of it either because he doesn't like it in his food and left a bit. But todays poo was great! It was semi-hard, no pastey bits at all; it even had the, uh, segmented look. It just "looked" wet/shiny, so it's not quite there yet, but so close!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! Dare I say anything yet? (like "way to go" whispered)