Was I scratched or scratched and bitten? I am scared It was rabies. Please help

rozarlive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was scratched/possibly bit by a stray cat that sometimes hangs around feral cats that I have been helping for a little over a year. I am scared from rabies after reading about it. I didn't learn about the diseases cat transmit until I got scratched and started reading since the incident. I didn't get professional medical assistance and I am very scared of contracting a deadly disease.
I was getting an item that was left out in the back yard and I saw the yellow cat jumping off fence from the neighbor's side He most likely was looking for the feral cats . He walked by the house and when he saw him he approached me. He usually would stand , stair at me and meow. I was in a rush, so I ignored him and walked away. Suddenly it felt like he was biting me. It was the first time that happens to me from an animal so I walked away fast.

The scratch/bite happened on my outer left knee to the back of the knee (I apologize if the photos are graphic).

Is this a scratch and a bite/ or just a scratch?

May 6th scratch/bite
may 6th cat scratch bite knee.png

same area May 12th
may 12th scratch in knee now.jpeg

He also scratched the back of my leg, about 6 inches - 12 inches above my foot. (unfortunately no photo for that area from day of the incident) here it is as of (may 12th 2022)
scratch leg 6 - 12 inches above foot.jpeg

May 6th - scratched me also front leg, 6 inches below the knee (barely visible now)
may 6th scratch front left leg 5 inches hbelow knee.jpeg

Cat that scratched me kept meowing most of the night, sounded like a cry. I checked on him 6 a.m May 7th and I found him with another feral cat and shortly left after and I haven't seen him since then.
signal-2022-05-12-225531_001.jpeg

I am now scared to even get close to these cats about what I read online about the disease specially rabies.

Here is the story behind the cats that I have encountered (First animals I have ever dealt with and I am a male in mid 30s).

I have been helping two feral cats a little over a year as I found them living under my shed march 2021. They were little and seemed hungry I felt bad so I fed them soft food (mostly canned tuna) then soft food a few months then introduced them to cat food and they accepted it. they have been living and the roaming the neighborhood but come often to me asking for food. (I have never had a pet or ever dealt with animals before them)

September 2021
cat 092021.jpeg

October 2021
cat 102021.jpeg

nov 2021
nov 2021.png

during the winter it got cold, so I allowed them to live in the shed and setup warm areas for them to live hoping they would survive.
December 2021
2021 december.jpeg

January 2022 - female knocking on door asking for food
January 2022 - female.jpeg

In January 2022 this cat showed up and started and showed interest in the female and started to hangout with both cats.
January 2022

January 2022 - (new cat with the male feral)
012022-2.jpeg

He started mating with the female cat. Between January 2022 - and early april 2022 but he would only show up roughly 4-6 weeks for a 3-4 days then disappear. He allowed me to pet him and the second day I encountered him in January he walked around me and stood by my feet. Seemed to want attention. From the little I know about cats, he seemed like a stray cat. I tried giving him cat food (hard crunchy type) I tried giving him a piece of grilled salmon that I was eating and he refused. The only thing he accepted from me was milk.
january 2022 - new cat.png

Fast forward to May 1st. He showed him and I had not seen him in nearly a month. He made a little strange noise like coughing, gargling, (not sure how to describe it) like something is stuck in his throat but he is hanging with the two cats as he usually does normal.

He showed up May 1st and hung around until May 6th

may 1st 2022.jpeg

May 2nd
may 2nd 2022.jpeg

May 4th
may 4th 2022.jpeg

May 6th (The day of scratch/bite)

may 6th 2022.jpeg

they mated that day as well. The other male was hanging around near them.

May 6th at night after he attacked me about 1 - 2 hours after. I had cleaned the wounds with soap, water and alcohol.
may 6th 2022 - night after scratchorbite.jpeg

The next morning 6 a.m (may 7th 2022) . He was meowing most of the night, sounded like crying. 6 a.m I went to check on him and saw him hanging with a third feral cat that I saw one of the neighbors feed him. I watched them for several minutes then I saw him walk away and I have not seen him again since then.
signal-2022-05-12-225531_001.jpeg

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should go to a doctor to get checked out. Be aware that depending on where you are, animal bites/ scratches are often required to be reported to the health board and the cat may have to be quarantined. A cat has to be within 3-6 days of showing symptoms to transmit rabies at which point they will die soon after.

It can be transmitted by scratches, there is one documented case.

You can probably get rpep by telling the doctor of your concerns and say it was a random stray cat if you are worried about the outcome. Getting the vaccine and immunoglobulin treatment can be done after the exposure. Washing the wound for 20 minutes after can help stop transmission as well.

I can’t tell if it is a bite or scratch for sure. If you can trap the cat and quarantine for 10 days to observe that is ideal.

You should get a tetanus shot if not up to date and antibiotics if the wound is infected.

Cats rarely carry rabies, you can check your local statistics.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rozarlive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should go to a doctor to get checked out. Be aware that depending on where you are, animal bites/ scratches are often required to be reported to the health board and the cat may have to be quarantined. A cat has to be within 3-6 days of showing symptoms to transmit rabies at which point they will die soon after.

It can be transmitted by scratches, there is one documented case.

You can probably get rpep by telling the doctor of your concerns and say it was a random stray cat if you are worried about the outcome. Getting the vaccine and immunoglobulin treatment can be done after the exposure. Washing the wound for 20 minutes after can help stop transmission as well.

I can’t tell if it is a bite or scratch for sure. If you can trap the cat and quarantine for 10 days to observe that is ideal.

You should get a tetanus shot if not up to date and antibiotics if the wound is infected.

Cats rarely carry rabies, you can check your local statistics.
Would a cat that has rabies mate while rabid?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would a cat that has rabies mate while rabid?
I don’t know. I have read extensively about rabies but have not heard about that. I would guess no though. If he bit you on or over ten days ago and is not symptomatic chances are he did not have rabies and or was not able to transmit it when he bit/ scratched you. After 14 days you are in the clear most likely.

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry you’re going through this stress - the internet can be a wonderful thing, but it can (at least for me!) lead me into rabbit holes that just stress me out further!

I wanted to talk about a few things. First — how wonderful of you to care for these kitties. Kitties who live totally outside (whether feral or stray) generally have very short, very difficult lives full of hunger & pain. Giving them consistent food, water, and shelter turned their lives around — which is so caring of you. You should feel very proud. The kitties obviously care for you too (scary incident aside) - the look on the one little tiger’s face as it looks at you is too sweet!

Second: Unfortunately all that mating is VERY likely what caused the lashing out at you. It’s critical that the kitties be what’s called “TNR” (stands for trap, neuter & release). The fact no one’s fixed means constant pregnancies (& there a staggering number of unwanted kittens already brought into the world)….but it’s very likely why you were scratched. TNR is where cats who can’t be placed into a home are humanely trapped, spayed/neutered, and brought back to where they live & released (to be hopefully cared for by a caretaker). Cats that haven’t been “fixed” (spayed/neutered) spend a large portion of their lives trying to mate. Females draw males from a mile+ away, and the males get VERY territorial, fighting to mate. All that testosterone means lots of fights and aggression (neutering changes that!). That’s my guess as to why you were jumped at, not because he was rabid. Even cats who are social can lash out when they’re not fixed & fighting for the right to mate.

While I’ve been scratched & bitten lots (I’ve worked at a shelter), I’m definitely NOT a doctor, and I don’t disagree that if you’re still concerned, you should check with you doctor. I will say that the scratches don’t look infected & appear to be healing, but again — I’m not a doctor, & if you’re worried I’d check with your physician.

Lastly - rabies. It might make you feel better to read this great article from a well-respected cat organization) about the extreme rarity of cat to human rabies transmission. Here’s the link:

Alley Cat Allies: Cats, People & Rabies

Sorry so long, but I could feel how worried you are. I hope my (too long) answer put your mind at ease. And if you choose to try to help get these guys TNR’d (which I hope you do), we’ve got lots of people here to offer tons of advice!

rozarlive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry you’re going through this stress - the internet can be a wonderful thing, but it can (at least for me!) lead me into rabbit holes that just stress me out further!

I wanted to talk about a few things. First — how wonderful of you to care for these kitties. Kitties who live totally outside (whether feral or stray) generally have very short, very difficult lives full of hunger & pain. Giving them consistent food, water, and shelter turned their lives around — which is so caring of you. You should feel very proud. The kitties obviously care for you too (scary incident aside) - the look on the one little tiger’s face as it looks at you is too sweet!

Second: Unfortunately all that mating is VERY likely what caused the lashing out at you. It’s critical that the kitties be what’s called “TNR” (stands for trap, neuter & release). The fact no one’s fixed means constant pregnancies (& there a staggering number of unwanted kittens already brought into the world)….but it’s very likely why you were scratched. TNR is where cats who can’t be placed into a home are humanely trapped, spayed/neutered, and brought back to where they live & released (to be hopefully cared for by a caretaker). Cats that haven’t been “fixed” (spayed/neutered) spend a large portion of their lives trying to mate. Females draw males from a mile+ away, and the males get VERY territorial, fighting to mate. All that testosterone means lots of fights and aggression (neutering changes that!). That’s my guess as to why you were jumped at, not because he was rabid. Even cats who are social can lash out when they’re not fixed & fighting for the right to mate.

While I’ve been scratched & bitten lots (I’ve worked at a shelter), I’m definitely NOT a doctor, and I don’t disagree that if you’re still concerned, you should check with you doctor. I will say that the scratches don’t look infected & appear to be healing, but again — I’m not a doctor, & if you’re worried I’d check with your physician.

Lastly - rabies. It might make you feel better to read this great article from a well-respected cat organization) about the extreme rarity of cat to human rabies transmission. Here’s the link:

Alley Cat Allies: Cats, People & Rabies

Sorry so long, but I could feel how worried you are. I hope my (too long) answer put your mind at ease. And if you choose to try to help get these guys TNR’d (which I hope you do), we’ve got lots of people here to offer tons of advice!
Thank you very much for your response. Your reply and links helped reduce my fear.

What worried me is that I couldn't tell if it was a scratch or a bite as it had never happened to me as I have little knowledge about animals.
I also recalled seeing the cat that scratched/bit me the next day at night with the other two cats.
I am not concerned with the cat scratch disease or tetanus as the scratch didn't seem deep and I disinfected it immediately and washed it with soap and water for a long period then alcohol.

It would give a peace of mind if I can find out if the lashing was a scratch or both a scratch and a bite. I would have thought a bite would have four marks.
The other question I couldn't find an answer for was for a cat to mate while having rabies in their saliva.

Also, thank you for the TNR info, I didn't know about it and I will look into it

flyingcars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the reading about infectious diseases in cat's has caused you to think the absolute worst!! I've been dealing with strays/ferals, as well as housecat's for about 40yrs (since I was a kid) and I'm also a Registered Nurse. I've been bitten and scratched routinely and I have only gotten one infection that required a trip to the Dr & antibiotics. It was a deep puncture wound on my hand from a terrified cat that was cornered by 2 big cat's & I just had to rescue him! He is currently 13yrs old & is my best friend & constant lap cat. Anyway, I'm also covered in scratches, it's my "normal state". I highly doubt you have rabies, or any other systemic illness. It is very rare too, plus the whole scenario you described leads me to think the bite/scratch is 100% benign. The one bite/scratch you have is also quite shallow & chances are good you cleaned the wound effectively. The risk of a plain old wound infection has likely passed also, they appear to be healing nicely. (Wounds heal faster & scar less when covered by a bandage, applying some triple antibiotic ointment helps a ton too! Trim your hairy man hairs first, or ouch!! I would slap a hydrocolloid dressing on it, leave it on 3 days, the moisture helps heal it very nicely.) The cat also shows zero signs of infection, or neurological impairment, or "acting really weird".

No, a sick cat would not mate, nor would a lady cat mate with a sick cat. And cat's are far more intuitive than we are, plus they have an amazing sense of smell, so she would likely smell it too. Sick cat's tend to isolate too, not seek out other cat's.

Sometimes cat's can get angry, or frustrated, when you're not understanding their needs & they nip, or scratch. Feral cats are notorious for suddenly biting you after a few minutes of gentle petting, even while purring & clearly enjoying your company. Some feral cats can also get agitated if they're very hungry and need food, and they think you forgot about them, especially if they don't see you often & go for long periods of time without food. They're just not used to fragile humans, that same bite, or scratch, would leave no marks, or injury on a fur covered cat. They don't understand skin!! I don't think he was trying to hurt you, or he would've stayed latched on & kept attacking you until you scared him away (Sadly, it's happened to me a few times!). We have a big cat colony in my rural "neighborhood" & I'm grateful I have 2 neighbors that also help with them. We try to neuter as many as possible & take care of medical issues. Yes, it's expensive, but we do get some help from a feral cat rescue & some Vets are very understanding. (But they're all retiring, the newer Vets seem more about profit unfortunately.).

The cat may have misinterpreted something you did too, like you moved too fast when he wasn't expecting it & reflexively "defended himself". He clearly realized he was wrong & stopped, so again, higher level brain functioning & reasoning, probably not infected with anything, or anything serious, or transmissible to humans.

You mentioned kitty was sick at some point, but that's sounds like typical upper, or lower respiratory infection that goes in cycles in strays/ferals. They get a lot drainage, but it's all snot, like how a sinus infection, bad cold, or bronchitis, produces secretions. Remember most animal disease's do not cross the species barrier.

I really appreciate and thank you for taking care of your stray/feral cats!!♥ I wish more people were kind like you. It's not their fault some human let their cat's outside & let them breed.

Please don't worry about rabies, seriously, the cat would've had symptoms. If you're still super anxious, then by all means, please get it checked out. Also like another commentator said, reported animal bites need to be investigated & someone will come to the house to check on the cat to see if it "has any signs of infection". It takes like 5mins, but I honestly wouldn't consider it a typical bite wound, meaning straight in deep puncture wounds. Your's are more like scrapes, so not depositing anything deep inside your flesh. Good luck & try not to worry!! You'll be in my thoughts!❤😉😻

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the reading about infectious diseases in cat's has caused you to think the absolute worst!! I've been dealing with strays/ferals, as well as housecat's for about 40yrs (since I was a kid) and I'm also a Registered Nurse. I've been bitten and scratched routinely and I have only gotten one infection that required a trip to the Dr & antibiotics. It was a deep puncture wound on my hand from a terrified cat that was cornered by 2 big cat's & I just had to rescue him! He is currently 13yrs old & is my best friend & constant lap cat. Anyway, I'm also covered in scratches, it's my "normal state". I highly doubt you have rabies, or any other systemic illness. It is very rare too, plus the whole scenario you described leads me to think the bite/scratch is 100% benign. The one bite/scratch you have is also quite shallow & chances are good you cleaned the wound effectively. The risk of a plain old wound infection has likely passed also, they appear to be healing nicely. (Wounds heal faster & scar less when covered by a bandage, applying some triple antibiotic ointment helps a ton too! Trim your hairy man hairs first, or ouch!! I would slap a hydrocolloid dressing on it, leave it on 3 days, the moisture helps heal it very nicely.) The cat also shows zero signs of infection, or neurological impairment, or "acting really weird".

No, a sick cat would not mate, nor would a lady cat mate with a sick cat. And cat's are far more intuitive than we are, plus they have an amazing sense of smell, so she would likely smell it too. Sick cat's tend to isolate too, not seek out other cat's.

Sometimes cat's can get angry, or frustrated, when you're not understanding their needs & they nip, or scratch. Feral cats are notorious for suddenly biting you after a few minutes of gentle petting, even while purring & clearly enjoying your company. Some feral cats can also get agitated if they're very hungry and need food, and they think you forgot about them, especially if they don't see you often & go for long periods of time without food. They're just not used to fragile humans, that same bite, or scratch, would leave no marks, or injury on a fur covered cat. They don't understand skin!! I don't think he was trying to hurt you, or he would've stayed latched on & kept attacking you until you scared him away (Sadly, it's happened to me a few times!). We have a big cat colony in my rural "neighborhood" & I'm grateful I have 2 neighbors that also help with them. We try to neuter as many as possible & take care of medical issues. Yes, it's expensive, but we do get some help from a feral cat rescue & some Vets are very understanding. (But they're all retiring, the newer Vets seem more about profit unfortunately.).

The cat may have misinterpreted something you did too, like you moved too fast when he wasn't expecting it & reflexively "defended himself". He clearly realized he was wrong & stopped, so again, higher level brain functioning & reasoning, probably not infected with anything, or anything serious, or transmissible to humans.

You mentioned kitty was sick at some point, but that's sounds like typical upper, or lower respiratory infection that goes in cycles in strays/ferals. They get a lot drainage, but it's all snot, like how a sinus infection, bad cold, or bronchitis, produces secretions. Remember most animal disease's do not cross the species barrier.

I really appreciate and thank you for taking care of your stray/feral cats!!♥ I wish more people were kind like you. It's not their fault some human let their cat's outside & let them breed.

Please don't worry about rabies, seriously, the cat would've had symptoms. If you're still super anxious, then by all means, please get it checked out. Also like another commentator said, reported animal bites need to be investigated & someone will come to the house to check on the cat to see if it "has any signs of infection". It takes like 5mins, but I honestly wouldn't consider it a typical bite wound, meaning straight in deep puncture wounds. Your's are more like scrapes, so not depositing anything deep inside your flesh. Good luck & try not to worry!! You'll be in my thoughts!❤😉😻
You are wrong. I appreciate what you’re trying to do here but the fact is the cat does not have to be symptomatic when they bite or scratch somebody to transmit rabies and it has also been transmitted through a scratch to a young girl in California who is one of the seven people in the world to survive rabies without receiving rpep before becoming symptomatic. she described the cat as a normal cat, a feral car who scratched her near her school for no reason apparently.

Part of the behavior of rabid animals depending on the type of rabies is they become aggressive and attack other animals and people. I doubt they would mate etc. Most likely this cat was as you said trying to mate and that may have caused the aggression.

Chances are he is ok and it is rare for a cat to transmit rabies, but is in not impossible that he was exposed to rabies. If he is worried he should get RPEP.

Also rabies is not the only concern, he needs a tetanus shot if he is not current and he may need an antibiotic. When Merlin bit me I had to go to the doctor and I had to be on an antibiotic and I got a tetanus booster shot. M also had to be quarantined for rabies. It was all very stressful but it was necessary. Unfortunately it was reported by the doctors clinic however the health board never called me.

I looked up for my County the rate of rabies infection cats and there were two cats that were found to have rabies in the past 2 to 3 years when Merlin bit me. So it was not nonexistent in cats as the doctor told me and not nonexistent in general in cats as Allie cat allies seems to imply in the articles. I love alley cat allies, I’m a member and I have been for years, but they are not right about this.

Last edited:

flyingcars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are wrong. I appreciate what you’re trying to do here but the fact is the cat does not have to be symptomatic when they bite or scratch somebody to transmit rabies and it has also been transmitted through a scratch to a young girl in California who is one of the seven people in the world to survive rabies without receiving rpep before becoming symptomatic. she described the cat as a normal cat, a feral car who scratched her near her school for no reason apparently.

Part of the behavior of rabid animals depending on the type of rabies is they become aggressive and attack other animals and people. I doubt they would mate etc. Most likely this cat was as you said trying to mate and that may have caused the aggression.

Chances are he is ok and it is rare for a cat to transmit rabies, but is in not impossible that he was exposed to rabies. If he is worried he should get RPEP.

Also rabies is not the only concern, he needs a tetanus shot if he is not current and he may need an antibiotic. When Merlin bit me I had to go to the doctor and I had to be on an antibiotic and I got a tetanus booster shot. M also had to be quarantined for rabies. It was all very stressful but it was necessary. Unfortunately it was reported by the doctors clinic however the health board never called me.

I looked up for my County the rate of rabies infection cats and there were two cats that were found to have rabies in the past 2 to 3 years when Merlin bit me. So it was not nonexistent in cats as the doctor told me and not nonexistent in general in cats as Allie cat allies seems to imply in the articles. I love alley cat allies, I’m a member and I have been for years, but they are not right about this.
I said RARE, not impossible. Anything is truly possible. But likely or not likely is where I'm coming from. The quarantine process is to look for symptoms of infection, this cat had none at the time, and none afterwards (the quarantine period). A cat or dog or animal does not need to be in a formal quarantine for it to be observed for signs & symptoms of infection. Hopefully the poster has a tetanus shot already, but if not, he can easily get one. As you know tetanus lives naturally in dirt, dust & is all over the natural environment, so any puncture wound, even during gardening, or cleaning, can lead to tetanus, but is it likely, NO. Look, I'm not an expert on infectious disease's, but I am a nurse since '95, (in the hospital at the bedside) & have never seen a case of tetanus, or rabies. I had one pt with flesh eating bacteria in the ICU, but that was 19yrs ago & he got from a scratch he sustained while cleaning out his old RV. So, yes, sometimes bad thing's happen, but it is not the norm.

I really don't understand why you're so confrontational though. We are all here as support & a "think tank", we are cat lovers helping each other out. Different opinions matter, it's not a sparring platform.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What area do you live in? Personally, I have been bit and scratched by more cats than you can imagine. Sick cats, healthy cats, and everywhere in between. I have never seen a doctor and all have healed just fine. Of course that is me. Rabies is rare in domestic cats. In 30 years of working at a vet, I have never seen it. If you are not immune compromised, I would not worry if it’s healing ok. But, I am not a medical doctor so take what I say as just from my personal experience.
I think it’s great you are caring for these cats, as they so desperately need care. But, like already said, you need to get them spayed and neutered. On the west coast I think it’s feral cat coalition and other area its alley cat allies. Check out the websites there for some information on how to go about it.

rozarlive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What area do you live in? Personally, I have been bit and scratched by more cats than you can imagine. Sick cats, healthy cats, and everywhere in between. I have never seen a doctor and all have healed just fine. Of course that is me. Rabies is rare in domestic cats. In 30 years of working at a vet, I have never seen it. If you are not immune compromised, I would not worry if it’s healing ok. But, I am not a medical doctor so take what I say as just from my personal experience.
I think it’s great you are caring for these cats, as they so desperately need care. But, like already said, you need to get them spayed and neutered. On the west coast I think it’s feral cat coalition and other area its alley cat allies. Check out the websites there for some information on how to go about it.
I live in Shelby county, TN in a city. Thankfully, I am not immuno compromised and the next day my right leg got scraped cleaning my shed and comparing cat scratch/bite to normal injury, both healing about the same.
The incident happened so quickly. Are you able to tell if the marks include biting or are they only scratches? It happened so quickly as I grabbed something from the back yard, he walked to me, I ignored him because I was in a rush and as soon as I started walking, I felt him grab my leg for 1-2 seconds then I walked away quickly.
I saw him the next night. He has been following the female May 1st to May 7th. I haven't seen him since then.
Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I feel better now knowing that the chance of rabies is extremely low considering he was mating that day and continuing to act normal the next day.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said RARE, not impossible. Anything is truly possible. But likely or not likely is where I'm coming from. The quarantine process is to look for symptoms of infection, this cat had none at the time, and none afterwards (the quarantine period). A cat or dog or animal does not need to be in a formal quarantine for it to be observed for signs & symptoms of infection. Hopefully the poster has a tetanus shot already, but if not, he can easily get one. As you know tetanus lives naturally in dirt, dust & is all over the natural environment, so any puncture wound, even during gardening, or cleaning, can lead to tetanus, but is it likely, NO. Look, I'm not an expert on infectious disease's, but I am a nurse since '95, (in the hospital at the bedside) & have never seen a case of tetanus, or rabies. I had one pt with flesh eating bacteria in the ICU, but that was 19yrs ago & he got from a scratch he sustained while cleaning out his old RV. So, yes, sometimes bad thing's happen, but it is not the norm.

I really don't understand why you're so confrontational though. We are all here as support & a "think tank", we are cat lovers helping each other out. Different opinions matter, it's not a sparring platform.
The point is the cat does NOT need to have symptoms at the time of the bite/ scratch to transmit rabies. And he has only seen the cat once since then. The cat bit him 7 days ago or so. If the cat is asymptomatic after 10 days he is most likely in the clear.

I am not confrontational, I wanted to give correct information about how rabies is transmitted. People need accurate information. Your info was not accurate.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

rozarlive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to provide an update. Thankfully the cat that scratched me was hanging at a neighbors house several houses down 05/14/22 (8 days after the incident. He was at my house the 7 prior days). He seemed normal. I spoke with the neighbor and he said he is a stray that comes regularly to his house to hangout with his two cats.
Also, the female had rubbed her self against my pants a few times while putting food and replacing water, most likely rubbing her scent on my pants, perhaps it is what attracted the male to me and made him scratch me when I walked away.
Thanks everyone for your supportive comments and hopefully I can convince my wife to adopt the female cat to be our first family pet since she is very gentle otherwise, I will do a TNR.