Was he a domestic long hair or medium hair? (pics)

FatPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question about personality and about coat about my beautiful boy who we lost two weeks ago. We rescued him at 3 so don't know his backstory. He was SO docile, loved to be cuddled, picked up and talked to softly, loved to roll over for a tummy rub, was happy to have his paw held and loved being in my company.
(1) I'm wondering if this trait is a typical of domestic medium hair, or could he have had some American Ragdoll genes, or is personality random and were we just lucky?
(2) Would you describe his coat as medium hair or long hair? He had a very fluffy chest ruff and tail, with long hair around his cheeks. His belly was fluffy like candy floss. His back was definitely shorter, with each hair about 1in long, and his paws and ankles were short hair. Some winter and summer coat pics below.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many would say medium hair. The problem is, the purists tells us, there is no such thing. You are either a shorthair or longhair, not just genetically, but also, in the cat fancy language...

So it suddenly becomes easy: as soon you consider the cat isnt a shorthair, the label will automatically be a longhair... :)

But if you wish to describe him as a medium hair, its of course OK. :)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww he sounded like a great kitty! So sorry for your loss. My Jetty is very similar, he loves to roll onto his belly wanting to be petted, loves to be carried and is just a sweetheart. We weren't even planning on adopting, but then this is what happened the first day we got him as a foster.. lol. I'd say longhair but longhair kitties come in many different hair lengths. Jethro is super poofy, while his brother isnt as fluffy on the body. All longhairs front legs tend to be short, the back legs have the poof in the back lol.

20181210_122437.jpg

2020-05-09 13.45.04.jpg

2020-05-02 12.21.16.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FatPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gooosshhh!!! They are so gorgeous. Do they know they're handsome?
Ben was a similar experience - we fostered him under strict instructions not to fall for him. Whoops. I like that we both had serendipitous experiences with our fosters. Gives me hope that one day, we might be ready to take on another fluffy boy who we don't even choose, we're just assigned.