Was getting a cat a mistake?

Asklepiad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to this forum, so I'm really sorry if I put this in the wrong place.

I'm a university student, only in my 2nd year, so I have two more years of study. The other day I adopted a cat because I was having a really rough time and he looked like my old kitty and I missed her lots and lots. Additionally, this cat would have ended up in a shelter or worse if I didn't take him, and he's 8 years old, litter trained, well behaved, cuddly, everything I could want in a cat.

But I'm horrified of treating this cat wrong. I'm so worried because in two years, I'm moving from Northern Canada all the way down to the middle of the united states to live with my partner, and I'm worried about carrying this cat everywhere. I'm worried about not being able to move to live with my partner because of the cat. I'm worried about not being able to take care of this cat for another 10 years. I love him so much and I don't want him to suffer.

I could have just ignored the Kijiji ad. I could have just let someone else adopt him; who knows if he'd end up in a shelter? I'm terrified, and I hope it gets better. I feel like was stupid and I made a huge mistake. I know this sounds super irrational but I'm just... I'm lost and scared. I hope to bond with this cat more so I don't have to give it back to his owner. I feel like a pretty bad person.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are looking at possible problems in the future. Think of yourself and your new best friend at this time. Many people move long distances with cats without any problems and I'm sure you will work it out in two years time when you need to. Just enjoy getting to know each other and enjoy having him.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off....Breathe.
You will be fine. An older cat is not like a kitten that requires almost 24/7 supervision. As long as you give him food, water, shelter and loving when you are home, he will be fine. As far as moving, just get a place where you can have a pet and hope your partner isn't allergic. Ask a vet for a sedative to give him when it comes time for the actual move. He will probably sleep a lot of the trip. Get some soft 'kitty' music to play. I have one cat who loves Phil Collins and although I listen to classic rock, I have to listen to Phil when I have to take her anywhere.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wasn't a mistake. You gave an older cat a loving home, that is not a mistake. Many of us have moved with our cats and have looked for rentals that would allow us to have our cats. That is just the things that happen in life, we find ways to get it done.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congrats on being a new cat parent. :bouquet: Feeling like you made a mistake adopting a cat is actually a pretty common reaction. In fact, If you weren't a little worried about your hasty decision, I would be more concerned about your ability to take care of him. But the fact that you are worried about doing the right things to care for him, means you were the purr-fect purr-son to rescue him. :catrub:

Since you won't be moving for 2 years, don't stress over that right now. Just enjoy getting to know and bonding with your new cat. You have plenty of time to research the requirements of bringing a cat into the US and the transportation mode you'll use.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might check with the nearest US consul as to what it takes to bring a cat into the USA. Probably proof that her vaccinations are current and that recent blood tests show no sign of infectious disease. And a complete copy of her vet file. That's just a guess. Check with the consul. Thank you for adopting the cat!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
With you thinking of the cat's future with you seems to me that you do really are a loving pet parent. Just take it one day at a time, and as advised above, just make sure that your cat's vaccinations/shots are up to date.

Enjoy your many years with your kitty. :)
Thank you for adopting him.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been through this, too, but slightly different circumstances. I'm a college student, too, (adult student who went back to school a few years ago) and have my cat with me that I've had for 9 years. Recently I adopted 2 kittens because it has been hard on Isabelle being just us two when she was used to a big house with multiple people in it for most of her like. I am so happy to have adopted them, but worry about the difficulties in my future plans it may cause.

I'm interested in grad school, but would need to find another place to rent, given it is in another location. Having 3 cats can make it challenging to find a place to rent I've read. Plus, can I afford to move somewhere else that most likely will have higher rent and still afford my 3 kitties?

It is scary to think about, and I've gone through many emotions, like you, wondering if I made a mistake. But you know what, it sounds like we both love our furbabies and will do whatever we can to make it work. We will find ways to provide and keep our furbabies. I've already had times in the past where Isabelle and I both had many medical expenses at once that dropped my bank account in half, and with some expenses newly ongoing, I didn't know how I'd not run out of money. I'm was already really frugal, but I found ways to be even more frugal that helped me.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your worrying, and you'll figure things out when you need to figure things out when the time comes.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might check with the nearest US consul as to what it takes to bring a cat into the USA. Probably proof that her vaccinations are current and that recent blood tests show no sign of infectious disease. And a complete copy of her vet file. That's just a guess. Check with the consul. Thank you for adopting the cat!
Or you can do the illegal immigrant thing and haul your cat through the woods in a rucksack, LOL. Just kidding, and don't sweat the "buyer's remorse" with your cat, just think of all the love and affection you'll receive from the kitty when ya need it most!!! It's a no-brainer, this cat adoption, and it was clearly meant to happen... preordained by the cosmos, so to speak. Legitimate concerns are one thing, but don't be a worrywart, there's no future in it. Focus on the positives... you have a cat who will love you forever!!! Enjoy the quality time you share with your kitteh... and don't sweat moving, my cats have traveled thousands of miles!!! Of course, they were in a separate vehicle on a tow dolly behind the rental truck (so I wouldn't have to hear 'em for x number of miles), but they were rigged with food, water, litter box, etc., and I said hello to 'em every time I stopped, unless they were asleep, in which case I let them be. Traveling with cats can be an adventure, but you'll get through it with a little planning, my secret is to hammer down for my destination and make as few stops as possible, LOL.

Remember the most important fact: YOU HAVE A CAT WHO WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asklepiad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much! It's been a few days, and things are going so much better! I love the little orange and white floof a lot and while I still get anxious about him and the future sometimes, I love him lots!