Was 2 hours late to give cat Apoquel...Is it alright to give dose at the same time tomorrow?

macaroonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the moment, my cat is trialing 5.4mg of Apoquel, half the pill every 12 hours. She usually take them at 7:30 AM and 7:30 PM, but today I was 2 hours late to giving her her PM dose...Is it okay if I still stick to her schedule and continue giving her Apoquel at 7:30 AM tomorrow, or is that a bit risky? Her vet is close on the weekends so I can't ask them, but I'll try asking the Chewy vets tomorrow morning and see if they have any info on that. Still, any advice would be helpful, thank you so much!!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience using apoquel in cats. The side effects seem a bit much, to me.
To play it safe, you could give the dose as soon as you can and then give the next dose 11 1/2 hours later and increase or decrease by 30 minutes, each dose until she is back on schedule. So, if you gave it at 9pm tomorrow would be 8:30 am and tomorrow night would be 8pm and the next morning would be 7:30am then just continue with the 7:30 am and 7:30 pm dosing.
I am not a veterinarian and the above is just my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macaroonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience using apoquel in cats. The side effects seem a bit much, to me.
To play it safe, you could give the dose as soon as you can and then give the next dose 11 1/2 hours later and increase or decrease by 30 minutes, each dose until she is back on schedule. So, if you gave it at 9pm tomorrow would be 8:30 am and tomorrow night would be 8pm and the next morning would be 7:30am then just continue with the 7:30 am and 7:30 pm dosing.
I am not a veterinarian and the above is just my opinion.
Thank you so much for your advice! I'll do the half hour method, that seems very reasonable. As for the side effects, yeah they scare me too but she hasn't shown any signs of them so far. In fact, she has been doing a lot better since taking Apoquel (so much more energetic & loving, barely scratching, and her 1 month long ear infection finally went away after she started on the med). Of course, I will meet with a dermatologist in the future to figure out a better course of action but for now the Apoquel is doing her some goods!