Waruva Wet Food For Kittens

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten eats Purina veterinarian diet Essential care for kitten ,in dry food but she doesn't like the same type of wet food anymore. I've tried tons of different brands and flavors but no luck ... so, I tried Waruva wet food and she likes it, Is it okay to feed her that (Waruva wet food)in combination of her dry food?
Thank you in advance for your help

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's fine, Weruva is good food! The only small downside to Weruva is that it tends ro be fairly low calorie but since you're feeding it in conjunction with dry good, your kitten should get plenty of calories. It's great that you found a wet food that your cats seems to enjoy so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's fine, Weruva is good food! The only small downside to Weruva is that it tends ro be fairly low calorie but since you're feeding it in conjunction with dry good, your kitten should get plenty of calories. It's great that you found a wet food that your cats seems to enjoy so much!
Thank you! I really really tried so many different brands and flavors but she didn't like any of them. I was trying to stay away from whiskas, fancy feast, etc... because they are not that good but I even tried those since I was running out of kitten type options and she didn't even like those ones, so I thought to give Waruva a try. Thanks again for your help

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weruva is good can food but the brand mostly have fish as its ingredient, causing very smelly poo and urine for your cat.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with 10009891 10009891 that the only thing I would be cautious of is feeding too much fish. I like the Cats in the Kitchen “chicken-frick-a-zee” and “fowl ball” varieties. They are poultry based and don’t contain fish so you might add those in your wet food rotation.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats love weruva, and it's part of our rotation of wet foods (which I supplement with dry, also.) I usually use instinct by natures variety, which has a good chicken pate for kittens, but rotate in other brands because my cats seem to get bored with one kind. Weruva Truluxe - pretty in pink and Weruva Cats in the kitchen - fowl ball / splash dance are faves. They have multiple flavors with pumpkin as well if your cat's tummy is upset, which is nice. They also make single serving pumpkin purée packets (say that three times fast!) which are a good consistency for my cats to actually eat it.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with 10009891 10009891 that the only thing I would be cautious of is feeding too much fish. I like the Cats in the Kitchen “chicken-frick-a-zee” and “fowl ball” varieties. They are poultry based and don’t contain fish so you might add those in your wet food rotation.
Thank you for your advice @ do you have any other suggestion for wet food that comes in a pouch? She won't eat anything in cans or patés?
Thanks again

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva is a good food, in my opinion. it should be good for your kitten :) My cats also like Tiki cat, and almo nature, the salmon and apple, and the chicken and green beans. thats the fave right now. sometimes the minced flavors of american journey and Nulo. I have two that like chicken, and two that like fish. :)

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weruva is good can food but the brand mostly have fish as its ingredient, causing very smelly poo and urine for your cat.
Thank you!
So far we tried "cat in the kitchen " chicken and duck, she likes it!
Do you have any other suggestion for wet food that comes in a pouch? She won't eat anything that comes in a can or patès.
Thanks again!

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weruva is a good food, in my opinion. it should be good for your kitten :) My cats also like Tiki cat, and almo nature, the salmon and apple, and the chicken and green beans. thats the fave right now. sometimes the minced flavors of american journey and Nulo. I have two that like chicken, and two that like fish. :)
Thank you! I tried Tiki cat, she ate it once and refused to eat it again, she does that with most of the canned food or she won't go close to eat. I tried Weruva "cat in the kitchen " chicken and duck and so far she likes it. She's not a big fan of the fish ones...she us not eating the patès anymore too.
Thanks again

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I tried Tiki cat, she ate it once and refused to eat it again, she does that with most of the canned food or she won't go close to eat. I tried Weruva "cat in the kitchen " chicken and duck and so far she likes it. She's not a big fan of the fish ones...she us not eating the patès anymore too.
Thanks again
mine do that too, eat it once, never again. or eat it for weeks or months like its the best thing ever, then one day, just no, we hate it. :oops:
I try to keep several different ones around that they like, for when that happens. Glad you have found some she likes. And weruva is good with its higher protein, moderate fat and lower carbs Maybe just pick up a can now and again of different brands and flavors when you are at the store and try them. I like to shop cat food :)

Not sure if you found these yet, but i have two places i like to look up foods

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats love weruva, and it's part of our rotation of wet foods (which I supplement with dry, also.) I usually use instinct by natures variety, which has a good chicken pate for kittens, but rotate in other brands because my cats seem to get bored with one kind. Weruva Truluxe - pretty in pink and Weruva Cats in the kitchen - fowl ball / splash dance are faves. They have multiple flavors with pumpkin as well if your cat's tummy is upset, which is nice. They also make single serving pumpkin purée packets (say that three times fast!) which are a good consistency for my cats to actually eat it.
Thanks, she won't eat patés anymore ( wich all kitten wet food come in patés) is it okay to stick all the Weruva flavors even though they are in gravy?
I was told once not to give gravy... but that's what's working for us. She eats a good dry food (recommended by her vet)
Sorry about so many questions, but its my first kitty and I'm still learning what she likes and what she doesn't.
THANKS AGAIN

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mine do that too, eat it once, never again. or eat it for weeks or months like its the best thing ever, then one day, just no, we hate it. :oops:
I try to keep several different ones around that they like, for when that happens. Glad you have found some she likes. And weruva is good with its higher protein, moderate fat and lower carbs Maybe just pick up a can now and again of different brands and flavors when you are at the store and try them. I like to shop cat food :)

Not sure if you found these yet, but i have two places i like to look up foods

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
It's my first kitty and I'm still learning what she likes and what she says doesn't

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The company that makes Weruva also makes Soulistic which is nearly identical, just different variety names and a lower price. Petco sells this brand. HOME

The cans aren't any different from a pouch. Your cat sure is very particular about what she likes:) Pride by Instinct is another textured food but it only comes in cans. Look here to see what else is textured and then check the brand web site to see if the food is in a can or pouch: Canned Cat food Spreadsheets

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The company that makes Weruva also makes Soulistic which is nearly identical, just different variety names and a lower price. Petco sells this brand. HOME

The cans aren't any different from a pouch. Your cat sure is very particular about what she likes:) Pride by Instinct is another textured food but it only comes in cans. Look here to see what else is textured and then check the brand web site to see if the food is in a can or pouch: Canned Cat food Spreadsheets
Awesome! Thank you so much! You guys are very helpful!!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your intent here, LTS3 LTS3 , and I certainly don't mean to be at all argumentative, but I'd say there are actually some differences -- minor to us humans but potentially very significant for cats, including ours! -- between Weruva's canned and pouch foods.

The pouch foods (the Cats in the Kitchen line) tend to be very liquidy and they're thickened with tapioca, which adds significant carb calories. It's likely because of those carb calories that someone told you not to feed gravy, GGG GGG .

Canned Weruva foods tend to fall into two categories: Cats in the Kitchen are cheaper, lower-carb, and kind of aspic-like thanks to a lot of gums, but the other Weruva canned lines (which range in price and type) tend to be less solid, meaning that those foods are, indeed, pretty similar to the pouch foods in terms of their format of shreds + gravy. These canned foods also have some sort of thickeners (generally gums or potato starch, last time I checked, so adding varying levels of carbs) and almost all are shreds with gravy (our cats used to love Quick 'n Quirky) though the outlier "Glam 'n Punk" is minced/chopped stuff that forms "gelee," that our cats loved the one time I bought it. A lot of Weruva's foods do, indeed, contain fish, something many of us limit for various reasons. Weruva's site has photos and full nutritional information. I wonder, GGG, if your cats might like Quick 'n Quirky: it's much less carby than the Cats in the Kitchen pouches, though it's also considerably more expensive. (I cut it from the rotation because it was too expensive for the cats not to be enthusiastic about it. Like your cat, they change their minds a lot about their foods!)

We've fed our cats a fair bit of Weruva over the years. The pouches were very useful in our senior cat's last weeks -- I think the combination of fish and gravy were irresistible for her and Weruva's generally low phosphorous levels are great for kidney cats -- but I drain some of the liquid off the pumpkin/chicken food for our new cats because I don't like the carbs. (I only feed that food occasionally, making it okay to drain the liquid, which likely contains some of the nutrients.) The cats eat several of the canned Cats in the Kitchen foods but particularly like The Double Dip (chicken/beef) and the chicken/fish foods, which I feed every now and then, as a treat. They love the chicken/fish foods!

Soulistic is, indeed, very similar to Weruva in terms of the range and style of the foods, though I've found that sometimes the canned foods have much gloppier gravy. Of course the cats especially love Soulistic's canned chicken/pumpkin food, probably precisely because it's especially gloppy and carby, which means it's just an occasional treat!

Anyway, good luck, GGG, finding other foods your cat will enjoy! It's great that you're figuring so many things out so quickly with your first cat! ;)

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your intent here, LTS3 LTS3 , and I certainly don't mean to be at all argumentative, but I'd say there are actually some differences -- minor to us humans but potentially very significant for cats, including ours! -- between Weruva's canned and pouch foods.

The pouch foods (the Cats in the Kitchen line) tend to be very liquidy and they're thickened with tapioca, which adds significant carb calories. It's likely because of those carb calories that someone told you not to feed gravy, GGG GGG .

Canned Weruva foods tend to fall into two categories: Cats in the Kitchen are cheaper, lower-carb, and kind of aspic-like thanks to a lot of gums, but the other Weruva canned lines (which range in price and type) tend to be less solid, meaning that those foods are, indeed, pretty similar to the pouch foods in terms of their format of shreds + gravy. These canned foods also have some sort of thickeners (generally gums or potato starch, last time I checked, so adding varying levels of carbs) and almost all are shreds with gravy (our cats used to love Quick 'n Quirky) though the outlier "Glam 'n Punk" is minced/chopped stuff that forms "gelee," that our cats loved the one time I bought it. A lot of Weruva's foods do, indeed, contain fish, something many of us limit for various reasons. Weruva's site has photos and full nutritional information. I wonder, GGG, if your cats might like Quick 'n Quirky: it's much less carby than the Cats in the Kitchen pouches, though it's also considerably more expensive. (I cut it from the rotation because it was too expensive for the cats not to be enthusiastic about it. Like your cat, they change their minds a lot about their foods!)

We've fed our cats a fair bit of Weruva over the years. The pouches were very useful in our senior cat's last weeks -- I think the combination of fish and gravy were irresistible for her and Weruva's generally low phosphorous levels are great for kidney cats -- but I drain some of the liquid off the pumpkin/chicken food for our new cats because I don't like the carbs. (I only feed that food occasionally, making it okay to drain the liquid, which likely contains some of the nutrients.) The cats eat several of the canned Cats in the Kitchen foods but particularly like The Double Dip (chicken/beef) and the chicken/fish foods, which I feed every now and then, as a treat. They love the chicken/fish foods!

Soulistic is, indeed, very similar to Weruva in terms of the range and style of the foods, though I've found that sometimes the canned foods have much gloppier gravy. Of course the cats especially love Soulistic's canned chicken/pumpkin food, probably precisely because it's especially gloppy and carby, which means it's just an occasional treat!

Anyway, good luck, GGG, finding other foods your cat will enjoy! It's great that you're figuring so many things out so quickly with your first cat! ;)
Thank you! I'll keep trying... some of the brands or types I've been suggested to try unfortunately I'm not able to find where I live, but I really appreciate all the advice and helpful tips I've been given in this group.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
GGG GGG I think I heard someone on TCS say something really wise: the best cat food for your cat is one that she'll actually eat! If your cat likes the gravy, that's totally fine! In fact, some say it's good for hydration because of the added moisture, especially if your cat doesn't drink a lot of water. Keep doing whatever works for you and your cat. You sound like you're being thoughtful about the brands and ingredients your food has, and you're feeding dry to keep the caloric content high enough at each meal. I think you're doing great by your cat, so don't worry!

Edit: Since you're feeding two types of food every day, here's a calculator to determine how many calories to give daily as your cat grows.
https://www.animalmedicalcenterofchicago.com/pdf/CalorieRequirementsForCats.pdf

The general consensus is that growing kittens can eat as much as they want, but as it gets older (and gets spayed or neutered,) a cat's energy needs change. Even though I use a rotation of wet flavors, I have a few planned "meals," where I can adjust the measurement of dry fold accordingly, and get the same calories daily. I just keep a few plastic measuring cups 1/4-1/3-1/2 cup) in the food bin and adjust depending on which wet food they eat that day. I eyeball the wet food based on how many calories are in the whole can (this is harder to do with large cans.) It took a little while to do the calculations, but now that I have a few meal options, I don't have to count calories for them anymore, and I know they're getting enough (and not too much,) to eat every day.

Last edited:

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GGG GGG I think I heard someone on TCS say something really wise: the best cat food for your cat is one that she'll actually eat! If your cat likes the gravy, that's totally fine! In fact, some say it's good for hydration because of the added moisture, especially if your cat doesn't drink a lot of water. Keep doing whatever works for you and your cat. You sound like you're being thoughtful about the brands and ingredients your food has, and you're feeding dry to keep the caloric content high enough at each meal. I think you're doing great by your cat, so don't worry!

Edit: Since you're feeding two types of food every day, here's a calculator to determine how many calories to give daily as your cat grows.
https://www.animalmedicalcenterofchicago.com/pdf/CalorieRequirementsForCats.pdf

The general consensus is that growing kittens can eat as much as they want, but as it gets older (and gets spayed or neutered,) a cat's energy needs change. Even though I use a rotation of wet flavors, I have a few planned "meals," where I can adjust the measurement of dry fold accordingly, and get the same calories daily. I just keep a few plastic measuring cups 1/4-1/3-1/2 cup) in the food bin and adjust depending on which wet food they eat that day. I eyeball the wet food based on how many calories are in the whole can (this is harder to do with large cans.) It took a little while to do the calculations, but now that I have a few meal options, I don't have to count calories for them anymore, and I know they're getting enough (and not too much,) to eat every day.
Thank you so much!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GGG GGG , it looks like you might have a snowshoe mix! We have a snowshoe and she's the sweetest, happiest cat ever. She's also generally a big eater, so watch out. :p