(warning: Graphic/distressing) Stray Cat With Puss All Over His Head

alexw87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This guy hangs around my neighbourhood, and is always getting into fights and getting injured.

I've seen wounds and stuff on his head before but it's healed up, but this looks REALLY bad.

Does anybody know what's up with him (and if I need to take a chemical shower after having being in close contact with him!!!)

Thanks!

P.S. I know he wears a collar, but many of them do. I think it's some old lady who collars them so they don't get taken to the pound.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks like he really needs to go to the vet. Are you able to take him? Or ask the old lady if he belongs to her and if you can help her take him?

Of course, you always want to clean up after dealing with strays or ferals b/c of fleas, worms and other things, but I'd be more concerned about him getting the help he needs than about taking a chemical shower.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my. Yes. A vet visit is needed ASAP. I agree with Adelei Adelei . If you know who has been caring for him, please talk to her about bringing him in. I'm going to guess that he's intact? If he's always getting into fights, that's the #1 reason. Fights over territory and females in heat. Please discuss neutering him with his caregiver. We can help find a low/no cost place that does spay/neuter if you give us an idea of what large city you are closest to.

Thank you for caring about him

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's a little bit past home remedies! Does the lady who collars them take care of them in other ways? Let her know about his condition and see if the 2 of you can come up with a way to get him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexw87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my. Yes. A vet visit is needed ASAP. I agree with Adelei Adelei . If you know who has been caring for him, please talk to her about bringing him in. I'm going to guess that he's intact? If he's always getting into fights, that's the #1 reason. Fights over territory and females in heat. Please discuss neutering him with his caregiver. We can help find a low/no cost place that does spay/neuter if you give us an idea of what large city you are closest to.

Thank you for caring about him
Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I'm actually in Moscow, Russia - we've just come out of a cold winter, so we think it might be frostbite. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might have started with frostbite (but more likely a cat bite from fighting), but it's too far gone to tell. He needs antibiotics at least, and preferably a good cleanup too.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am no expert, but to me it does not look like frostbite. From your picture, the other ear is fairly intact. If it were frostbite, it would probably affect the tips of both ears, the tip of the tail and possibly some toes. This poor boy looks like he was on the losing end of a cat fight. But, at this point the cause of the injury is not that important. I agree with everyone above. He needs a vet, probably antibiotics and preferably to be neutered as well so he will stop getting beat up in cat fights.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, he needs a vet to see him. I have seen similar sores on feral males...one I finally was able to trap last summer and the next time I saw him he was so much improved because the fighting had stopped that it was remarkable....but your guy needs some care for that sore.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try to get him some help. Time will work against him in this case. I can tell you really care about him. You may be saving his life. Any infection near the area of the brain can be life threatening. Vet care is very important in this case. Thank you for caring about him. Even if he belongs to someone else, they may need your help. You might be able to step in to help a human and a kitty! If someone put a collar on him, they care about him. If that lady is trying to save him from being picked up and you ask about him, she may be very grateful! Please let us know what happens! We care too!

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He definitely needs a vet. As much as her heart is in the right place, this cat needs help -- and probably a breakaway collar. Perhaps the woman doesn't know that she can get low-cost care through the Humane Society? This doesn't mean taking the cat to the local Humane Society itself, but there are programs where you can sign up and there's actually a mobile animal hospital that you bring the cat to for care. If you could find that information and present it to her, she will probably be thankful that somebody else cares about this cat that she loves.