Warming up Wet Food?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I purchased one of these silicone lid that fit multiple sized tins and leave the food in room temperature on the counter unless it's hot summer days and it keeps the food fresh AF!
Screenshot_20191213-011048_Chrome.jpg

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchased one of these silicone lid that fit multiple sized tins and leave the food in room temperature on the counter unless it's hot summer days and it keeps the food fresh AF!
View attachment 311961
Canned food should be placed in the fridge after opening even when using these lids. Unless it’s just for a few hours.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Seven or eight seconds in the microwave takes the chill off the food without really warming it up. I do stir after microwaving it to make sure there are no hot spots.

Gail froelich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 yr old cat that wants to eat 4x a day and once in middle of the nite! To top that off he likes fancy feast and wants to eat the wet top and sides...result is I throw away most of the food. His food is costing someone living on Social Security way too much. All of these ideas remind me of reheating half jars of baby food! Babies didn’t like it either. We had plastic bowls that you could fill with hot water and put the plug in then put the food on the top. There were also electric ones. I am desperate to get his cat food costs down, but at 14 I need to get him enuf to eat. Dry food he throws up, so I can only put about 1T in his bowl. And he doesn’t sways want the can I gave him,and brews until I go I’ve him something else! I love my Joey.....does anyone ave any suggestions? Did I create this myself by giving in? Thx.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats canned food from the fridge as well as I just run the tap till it’s hot and mix it with the food until it’s sloppy. It’s quick to do, warms it up, and gives them extra water.

travellingbelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my Simon had his yearly vet visit today (got the rabies and feline distemper/panleuk vaccines, as well as an ear cleaning and claw trimming) and did phenomenal. Apparently, the regimen we had in place with the miralax and l-lysine paste is working out great in terms of keeping his health in check, though I need to find a way of cleaning his ears (boy is very sensitive about his ears being messed with; No infection or mites, just gunked up ears, I guess)

Anyway, he apparently gained four pounds since we adopted him last year - moving from right around 10 lbs to 14 lbs, though the vet admits that he might've been a bit underweight for his size when we adopted him. Vet recommended that we cut him down to a half can of wet food a day - which won't work since that's how he takes his meds, but we're going to try doing just one can a day split into morning and evening feeds (If that doesn't work, we go back to two cans and just figure out a better exercise/play routine).

I put the other half of the can in a small tupperware container in the fridge - but how do I go about reheating it for his dinner? I share the microwave with other residents of the house, and they are ADAMENT that they don't want the microwave to smell like cat food (I wonder why! :lol2:)

How would y'all recommend that I reheat his dinner (since I know cats don't typically like eating cold food)? Do I fill a bowl of hot water and let the water reheat the can of food?

Help is appreciated! :)
I reheat my cats' wet food in the microwave and it doesn't smell at all. You just want to warm it up to room temperature, not really heat it up so a few seconds is usually sufficient. My husband had never noticed that I heat it up in the microwave and my kitchen doesn't smell from it...