Warming Pad In Stray Cat Shelter?

tandl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a few stray/feral cats who come visit our house on a regular basis. We started to put some food and water out, and then in the fall we made a couple of those home made cat boxes—plastic bin lined with insulation, within another plastic bin, full of straw, etc. none Of the cats like my home made cat boxes, of course. But we do have one kitty who sometimes goes into a cardboard box my husband left out—he put an old cat bed and a bunch of straw inside, and of course that is the only box that gets used.

We are getting ready to experience negative temps during the nights this week, and of course I’m worried about the strays. They must have at least one other warm(er) option as they have made it thru the winter so far, but I’m still concerned and would like to see if there is anything I can do to make what we have a bit warmer, if necessary.

I do have two k&H brand ‘Thermo kitty pads’ that I used with my previous two elderly cats. I believe this is the one I have—it has been a year or so since I bought them. K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Mat, Sage - Chewy.com
I have only ever used the pads indoors, and I don’t know if I can use these safely plugged in outside. I wonder if putting the pads inside the one cardboard box that the one cat uses is safe...would putting that pad under all of the straw so that the kitty had extra warmth while retaining the ability to hide/burrow in be safe? Or is mixing those pads and straw and outdoor use a no no?

We have four cats and no way to allow any of the strays into our house safely. We do have a garage and I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping our garage door open slightly so that the strays could access shelter in there, but I don’t know that the cats would find it. We have a nest camera set up so we can see who shows up and where they come from, and all of the cats trek in from the backyard (which backs up into some woods) and they all leave that way as well.

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure about the warming Matt you are speaking of but something I do for my outside kitties is order mylar blankets for them. You can find them on Amazon and they are the warming blankets emergency responders use I've had to get creative in using them.because they crinkle and make noise. I line plastic crates with them and then put wool blankets inside. Also, Amazon has microwave warming plates that can be heated in the microwave and you can place them under their blankets. They are supposed to stay warm for up to 6 hours. I haven't tried them yet though.

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah ok. I read where someone else on another feral chat site recommended them. Are the ones you reference matts you have to plug in?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah ok. I read where someone else on another feral chat site recommended them. Are the ones you reference matts you have to plug in?
The mylar self warming blankets you referenced are just fine for outdoor use. I would not use blankets though as they can retain moisture and trap the cold in them. Can you get a hold of some straw ( not hay) and stuff the shelters with the straw and then add the mylar blanket? You can also then use the microwave heat discs too.

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was concerned about the blankets retaining moisture but they have been good. They are in a covered cat crate which is also under a shelter. I don't readily have access to straw, only hay. I check the blankets every couple days

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use that mat outdoors but in a garage so the plug is not exposed to the elements. I also use it with an extension cord, just saying as some people worry about that aspect of these products as well. It is rigged up so the cats cannot access it and would not have any interest in rearranging anything to find it. In addition I have the Snuggle Safe discs which heat in the microwave. The ferals who use them at first did not use the mat, but last night two of them were cuddled up on it. For as hard as they are, they also seem to like the discs which are left over from two previous, now deceased cats...and those two loved them. I put the discs under enough padding so that they are warm, but not hard and I have a fleece blanket partially over the mat. Having said all this, I am in Los Angeles and it is just not that freezing like those suffering with the Polar Vortex. Some people on Amazon said that they did not think that the mat got that warm but to me it seems that if the cat lays on it the warmth increases, but safely. I don't know about burying it under straw....and don't do anything that you don't perceive as safe. I can see the side door of the garage where the cats sleep from my back kitchen door, so can keep an eye on them.