Warm Ears?

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why does my kitty have warm ears? From a search online, it suggests he has a fever but he has no other signs of this as he is playing non stop, eating/drinking fine, etc. I also saw that it could mean he is stressed.. but I am not sure how this is possible cause we spoil the little guy!

thoughts?

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not a vet, but ears as well as nose and paws are areas that help kitty regulate his body temp. You said there is no signs of him being sick and he is playing a lot he is probably hot from all activities. My cat’s ears get warm and then get cool. If he runs around like crazy for half hour his ears and his nose could be warm to the touch.

You could always give your vet a call and ask about it if you are still worried.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Warm (even pretty hot) ears in cats are the equivalent of sweating in humans or panting in dogs; it's how they get rid of excess warmth. I wouldn't worry about it unless he actually seems sick. If you really want to check for fever you'll need to invest in an anal thermometer, and your kitty will not thank you for that! :evilgrin:

Now, if his paw pads start sweating, that seems to indicate stress; I've only noticed that one when taking a cat to the vet (or elsewhere, but the cat thought it was a vet visit). And the pads seem to be the only part of the cat that has sweat glands, though I haven't actually looked that up.

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Margret Margret and kirathecat kirathecat ! It was after flailing around in zoomies mode that i noticed his ears were warm so must just be from that. I will keep an eye on it though!