Wanting a new companion for my kitten!

peachypeach

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try to make the preface of the story as short as possible-

I moved out of my parents house into a small apartment and took my 4 year old cat with me. I thought getting her a kitten friend would make her feel less lonely, turns out I was completely wrong she never got along with him and now she’s back at my parents house because her health was declining so much due to the stress. Now I just have my 3 month old male kitten who just wants to play. I’m thinking of getting another kitten of the same age so he can grow up with it and someone to run around with. After my experience trying to introduce my two cats (i did all the methods the internet suggests) i feel very worried about how things will go with another kitten. I know kittens get along better but I’m worried at 3 months is not as little as I see other kittens meeting and getting along.

What should I expect if I decide to bring home another kitten of the same age?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to worry about them getting along. Oh, there might be some hissing for a couple of days, but two kittens always become friends no matter what you do. Still a good idea to isolate the newcomer in a "safe room" for a couple of days so they can get used to the room and you before meeting the other kitten, but beyond that no special concerns.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens should be easy to introduce. I think male/male pairs work best long term, especially for indoor only cats. They tend to be more active in play, as they grow vs many females.
Make sure you neuter them before sexual maturity, as male cats can spray and tom cats fight.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might be more affordable to check the local rescues for an adult that socializes well with other cats.
Many rescues have already altered the cat if not done prior in life. Many have them vet checked, shots current, possibly microchipped.
If they have been in foster, they may well know their personality and how they react to some other cats.
We never fully know the personality of a kitten, yet a three to five year gives us a good indication of who they are.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's more likely is that you'll have complaints from the neighbors about the noise from the cats chasing around playing at night.;)

My situation was similar to yours. My cat was beating up on me, so I got a buddy for him to beat up on. My two boys were a bit older than your cat--about a year old--when they met. They bonded almost immediately.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 month old shouldn't be a problem at all. My cats (brother and sister) are a little over 1 year old and they are very active. I recently adopted a 6-month old male kitten and it went very smoothly. I isolated him in a room at the beginning but my male resident cat started to visit him from day 2. A little hissing happened for 2 days and the two male immediately became best buds and now they're wrestling and chasing all the time. My female cat didn't like him at all and it took her like 1 week to stop hissing and 2 weeks to warm up a bit. I think another male kitten is a good idea.