Want to see all the horses I went through before finding the right one?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took me quite some time to choose the right horse! So here's my story...

I got a call from a family friend that she found a horse I might be interested in! We go to look at it. Beautiful, mustang, young, but untrained! He wasn't even halter broke at four years old! He would rear at the slightest pull on the halter and had only been lead and touched a few times! YIKES!

His name was Beauty, he was also VERY short, 13.3 hands

Then I looked in the local paper and found two horses for sale in my price range, $900. So I go out to check out the one that was "kid broke."

Her name was Judy

She was NOT kid broke, and most likely not broke period. She reared when he put the saddle on her! And I got bucked off of her twice before I said, NO THANK YOU!

Then the second horse, a nice looking dun! I took him home for two days before calling the owner and telling him to come get his horse because I don't want it! He had a slight problem with bucking when you rode him in large open area's. The owner came out to show ME how to ride him and ended up with 12 stitches on his face.....serves him right for selling bad horses.

Then there was the appy..... She was a trail horse, rode nicely other than she had a very hard mouth and didn't take direction well. There was also something the owner was holding back, you could tell. The horse had a horribly split hoof and the owner FLIPPED out on me for walking the horse across the gravel driveway. The horse limped after that, anyone who knows horses, they shouldn't limp from just walking over a short bit of gravel.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't have been able to help myself... would have gotten the little mustang and just spent a TON of time working with him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

I wouldn't have been able to help myself... would have gotten the little mustang and just spent a TON of time working with him
You know I really thought about him, but he was so dang small and wasn't going to get any bigger. Plus, I was 16 and never had a horse before, so I needed something that wasn't going to kill me.

And I'm not fond of Mustangs

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, they are all so beautiful!
But I guess with a horse you have a working relationship, so you can't just buy the cutest one or the one that needs you the most... Kind of like if I were to get another search dog.

Glad you finally found the right one for you! I take it these were the ones you looked at before you found Bonnet?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to post what I ended up with!!!

Prom pictures a year after I got her

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Wow, they are all so beautiful!
But I guess with a horse you have a working relationship, so you can't just buy the cutest one or the one that needs you the most... Kind of like if I were to get another search dog.

Glad you finally found the right one for you! I take it these were the ones you looked at before you found Bonnet?
You're right. Some horses/people mesh better than others. For example my sister's horse and I don't mesh well.
You can tell she's sad when I get on her back. I swear she sighs every time.
But usually the only reason I ride her is to work on things she's not doing right. (show horse, western pleasure)

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My school's prom was 26th June, but I didn't go for the simple reason I hate wearing dresses, dancing and the place where they went was totally rubbish.
But if I had gone, I would have wanted to go on horseback.

those are some pretty pony piccies

It serves that man right he had to have stitches - it could have been you!

and the poor little appy's foot!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What beautiful horses. I'm glad you found the right one for you!!

I wanted horses for many years when I was younger. My aunt was going to buy me one to keep on her land, but she ended up getting rather sick for a few years and died shortly after. I still would love to have a horse, but don't have the land/time/place for one. And Rob thinks horses are unpredictable
Like they will look at you then bite you. Kinda like his brother's hamster

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

pretty horses.

and nice prom dress.

I never went to prom *sigh*
Thanks! My mom didn't get to go either so she let me go all out for my Senior prom.

Originally Posted by lauracatlover

My school's prom was 26th June, but I didn't go for the simple reason I hate wearing dresses, dancing and the place where they went was totally rubbish.
But if I had gone, I would have wanted to go on horseback.

those are some pretty pony piccies

It serves that man right he had to have stitches - it could have been you!

and the poor little appy's foot!
Wouldn't everyone love to go on a horse!

I'm glad that man got stitches too! He's one of those horse traders that believes anything he sees at a horse auction, never gets on them, and then sells them to inexperienced riders!

Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

What beautiful horses. I'm glad you found the right one for you!!

I wanted horses for many years when I was younger. My aunt was going to buy me one to keep on her land, but she ended up getting rather sick for a few years and died shortly after. I still would love to have a horse, but don't have the land/time/place for one. And Rob thinks horses are unpredictable
Like they will look at you then bite you. Kinda like his brother's hamster
My SO isn't much for horses either, he likes motorcycles better. "You know what they will do!"
Horses are much more fun than any dumb old motorcylce!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

My SO isn't much for horses either, he likes motorcycles better. "You know what they will do!"
Horses are much more fun than any dumb old motorcylce!
I agree
IMO you can't beat riding an unpredictable horse who could bomb off at any second!
Everyone who used to watch me ride Monty always said I rode him like a motorbike
I think it was because I always leant in the direction he was going

God I'm missing riding him

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness, seems like you had quite the run of bad luck before you found your forever horse!

Haha, I don't think I would have been able to resist that poor mustang's face, look at his pretty coloring!

for all those horses that they found forever homes that can deal with their problems and help them through them

And your prom dress? Gorgeous!
When my prom comes, I probably wont be able to resist a dark green dress, because then it will match all of Mikki's equipment

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

I agree
IMO you can't beat riding an unpredictable horse who could bomb off at any second!
Everyone who used to watch me ride Monty always said I rode him like a motorbike
I think it was because I always leant in the direction he was going

God I'm missing riding him
No kidding! My horse isn't a beginers horse by any means, in fact, I'm afraid to let people that own horses ride her! She's a blast though! It keeps you awake in the saddle, my little sister's horse is pretty lazy and listens too well

Originally Posted by Kernil

oh my goodness, seems like you had quite the run of bad luck before you found your forever horse!

Haha, I don't think I would have been able to resist that poor mustang's face, look at his pretty coloring!

for all those horses that they found forever homes that can deal with their problems and help them through them

And your prom dress? Gorgeous!
When my prom comes, I probably wont be able to resist a dark green dress, because then it will match all of Mikki's equipment
I did have some bad luck! That mustang was the only other horse I was considering besides Bonnet. There was one more horse that I didn't have a picture of. It was GORGEOUS! A black and white paint

I wanted her the most, but she had strangles and didn't look well at all. The man selling her wasn't trustworthy at all, and I didn't want to take any chances buying that horse. Plus it wasn't broke either, and I wanted something to ride as soon as I brought it home!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

No kidding! My horse isn't a beginers horse by any means, in fact, I'm afraid to let people that own horses ride her! She's a blast though! It keeps you awake in the saddle, my little sister's horse is pretty lazy and listens too well
One of my mates is gonna let me ride her 14.1 welsh cob in the 'summer' holidays and because she's only 5 she's told me that I need to be calm etc so she doens't get too excited, and I just said to her "The more she takes off with me, the better!"

See my friend isn't the speed freak that I am, and any chance of a gallop etc I get I take it, no matter what horse I'm riding!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean!

You can come out and gallop my sister's mare, she has a problem with bucking at the lope
We're having troubles getting her to knock that off!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mustang was gorgeous! I don't mind smaller horses since I grew up riding Icelandic ponies (that's the only horse breed in Iceland so everyone, even 6 foot tall grown up men, rides them). So my preferred size of horse is from 13-15 hands.

However your Bonnet is gorgeous as well

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a couple updated pictures of her today!

Being herself, SPUNKY! Keep in mind she's 21 years old!

And if you were wondering what whas on her hind end in the first picture. Lord knows what happened. It seems like every week at least one of the horses have to have an injury of some sort.
Granted she's blind on that side... It's a small scratch, nothing to worry about!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened to Monte? There was a comment that you miss riding him.

Hmm how old do horses get? And....... what happens to those horses that have trouble (sick, can't be ridden), do they get put down somewhere and turned into pet food or something horrible like that?