Want To Make Whipped Cream Ahead Of Time?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you can. I tried this a few weeks ago and it really does work! I made my whipped cream in the early afternoon and took it with us to my sister's house, along with a chocolate chiffon pie. At 7:00 when we were ready for dessert, the whipped cream was fine. And the next morning, Rick finished the cream off with a chocolate brownie. And it was still fine. It's worth trying, if you want to make it ahead of when you're going to serve it.

From Cook's Illustrated....they tried all different ideas to stabilize whipped cream: marshmallow creme, zanthan gum, unflavored gelatin, cream of tartar, nonfat dry milk powder, instant dry vanilla pudding, gelatin, buckwheat flour. To be honest, some of these ideas made me think "Ewwwww!" Buckwheat flour? Seriously? The gelatin worked the best for them. And it really worked well for me, too.

To make 3 cups of whipped cream in advance,
  • Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin over 1-1/2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl and let it stand for 3 minutes.
  • Microwave the mixture in 5-second increments until the gelatin is dissolved and liquefied.
  • Whip 1-1/2 cups of chilled heavy cream (along with 1-1/2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, if desired) in a stand mixer, staying on low speed until small bubbles form and then increasing the speed to medium.
  • When the beaters begin to leave a trail in the cream, slowly pour in the gelatin mixture and then increase the speed to high and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
  • If well covered, the whipped cream will retain its moisture and airiness for up to 24 hours.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting:) I found a no-bake tart recipie I want to try that uses either Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream. Both types have a gelatin base added to them.

If one doesn't have a stand or hand mixer, could shaking the heavy cream in a large jar for a few minutes work just as well?:think:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Maybe when it's not so hot I'll attempt to make the tart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'd try the Mason jar. *shake, shake, shake. Shake, shake, shake. Shake your Mason, shake your Mason* You could dance around the kitchen while shaking your jar. Think of all the fun (and exercise!) you could have! :lol: Do it to music. (With my luck, I'd drop the jar. :paperbag:)