Want To Get A Male Cat - What Are The Chances Of Spraying?

New_Pulse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I want to get a kitten. From experience, I found male cats easier to take care of than female cats, but my mother doesn't like male cats, because, from her experience, they sprayed all the time. I don't think my mom wants me to get a male cat, to be honest, even though I told her that chances of spraying is decreased if a kitten is fixed early, but there's still that chance of getting a cat who is just territorial and whatnot, so that's a worry that's been planted in my mind.

So, if I were to get a male kitten, what are the chances of it being a sprayer? How can I know that a male kitten won't be a sprayer? Is it worth getting a male kitten, or should I just get another female kitten?

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm really interested in the responses you get to this question. I've had two cats, both females, and very deliberately chose females because I have family/friends who have had male cats that sprayed. I was surprised to read in other threads on this board that people find males to be friendlier and easier to deal with overall; my girls were/are both delightful companions.

Thanks for asking a question that I've wondered about....

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both male and female cats will spray; its territorial marking behavior to say "I am here". Males get the bad name because an unaltered male cats spray stinks, badly. If you get your cat neutered before he develops the behavior chances are really good that you will never have to deal with it. Most vets won't neuter before 6 months old but clinics will typically do it regardless of age if the kitten is 2 pounds. I got both my boys neutered at 2 pounds and never looked back.

I have had four males in my life. None have sprayed, at least in the house. I have had three female, two females sprayed (yes, up the wall full on spray) and peed in the house. It's a long story but it was a stress response not territorial marking so an extreme situation. My current female does not spray in the house but I have seen her spraying outside more than once (tail up, straight back stream spraying). I think its because inside fully smells like the family while outside there are other cats walking around so she has to let them know. She also wasn't spayed until she was 6-8 months old AND she was around tom cats who did spray for her first 3 months. Not sure which of those factors is the important one.

Bottom line, early spay/neuter will almost always result in no spraying for males. Extreme stress can trigger a spraying behavior but it is just as likely in males as it is in females in those situations.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Early neutering certainly decreases the chances of spraying significantly! And do tell your mother that even female cats can and do spray if they feel their territory is threatened! And there are ways to fix that, should it happen! We can and will help you if it does! I've mostly had female cats, but the toms that I've had over the years were all lovebugs after neutering!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My female cat has sprayed up my entire house! She did that when I brought home my male cat. The male never sprayed at all. I think a lot of it has to do with confidence levels. The boy never sprayed because he didn't need to -- he could kick everyone's butt. Not that he ever went outside but still... She lacked confidence and it showed in other ways too.
I used to house sit for some folks who had six Siamese cats -- a mom and dad and four siblings. They were all adults but the time i came on the scene but the "dad" sprayed frequently.
I don't really know if there is any way you can tell if a cat is going to be a sprayer or not. Just gotta hope you get one who doesn't.
My female I had to put her on a low dose of prozac and she stopped spraying.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have only ever had one male cat and that is the one I have now. He was neutered at 10 weeks old and he has never sprayed. Though I have seen outdoor male cats spray that were both neutered and unneutered but I assume that was a territorial issue as they were constantly claiming areas of the neighborhood. Giz doesn't go outside at all. Even with bringing in a new female cat, Gizmo hasn't sprayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New_Pulse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting responses. I have told my mother that both male and female cats spray, and that chances of spraying decrease if cats are fixed before 4 months, but that was dismissed, because my mom claimed that some cats are just territorial, regardless if they were fixed before 4 months, and the spraying problem cannot be stopped e_e

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That may be true (some of my sprayers were spayed/neutered early) but it's equally possible with a male or a female so. . .just take your chances? Lol.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting responses. I have told my mother that both male and female cats spray, and that chances of spraying decrease if cats are fixed before 4 months, but that was dismissed, because my mom claimed that some cats are just territorial, regardless if they were fixed before 4 months, and the spraying problem cannot be stopped e_e
True. So maybe she just is not a cat person. There is always a risk male or female, fixed or not, age of neutering, etc...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always neutered by 6 months .... though Dante did get neutered early at 4.5 months because he wiggles his tail when he gets excited (I thought he might start spraying, freaked out & got him an earlier neutering time.) I have lived with & owned several male cats that were neutered, none sprayed.

Heck even our semi feral never sprayed in the house even though he didn't get neutered until he was 5 years old. (He is an indoor/outdoor cat so he is no doubt spraying his territory outside.)

I would say if you neuter young your chances are between slim to none. I love my boys ... I loved my female cat to ... though she did have catitude ;)

New_Pulse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom loves cats, but prefers female cats. She just had a lot of bad luck with male cats, and even one of her female cats sprayed as well.

Anyway, would it be wise to ask a caretaker if a kitten has had a history of spraying, or is kitten age just too soon to tell?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
because my mom claimed that some cats are just territorial, regardless if they were fixed before 4 months, and the spraying problem cannot be stopped
Well, she is right...but the females do it, too! We do have LOTS of articles on dealing with issues like this.

New_Pulse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, she is right...but the females do it, too! We do have LOTS of articles on dealing with issues like this.
Indeed.

Anyway, thanks for all of your responses! We shall see what will happen once I get another kitten in the future. Already got potential names chosen and everything

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say if neutered at a young age, and kept happy and with minimal stress throughout their lives, very small risk of any cat spraying.

I have 3 male cats, the only one who has ever sprayed was my older ex-stud cat that I adopted, and he only did that once the first week he was here which was shortly after he was neutered and afraid about being in a new home, wanting to mark it. Yes he was worth it, he settled in ok and is completely sweet and lovely.

Female cats spray too, and can be more protective of their territory than males.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My only worry would be that if you were to go with a male kitty and then if, on the off chance, this were one of the few kitties that did spray, would your mum be more likely to get annoyed at the cat? Or kind of think along the lines of "I knew we should have gone with female..."?

If you get female, and she does spray, well, at least female was your mum's choice and she knew it was somewhat likely.

How are you getting your cat? If you're adopting is it going to be a joint decision? If you both pick on personality rather than male/female there might be less of a chance of anyone getting annoyed at a cat they fell in love with at first sight... :catrub:

New_Pulse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably, haha. My mother both had male and female cats who sprayed, but more male cats sprayed more than female cats. One female cat my mom had only sprayed when stressed out. For my cat, she never really sprayed, but she did crap and urinated on beds when she felt stressed or threatened.

Getting a cat is going to be my decision. My cat, before she died, was my 16th birthday present, and picking her was entirely my choice. I raised her and paid what I could when it came to medical payments (with some help).

Of course, I picked my cat because she was the smallest :lol: I'm hoping to get an orange kitten, because I had best experience with orange cats, but if the kitten is sweet, loving and healthy, I may adopt it, regardless of sex, color and breed it may be :)