want my playful kitties back

jazzkane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I  have 2 kittens, Pixie and Boo, that came from the same litter and have never been apart. Over the last couple months we have watched the chase each other around and beat the crap out of each other, but when pplay time was over they would give each other a bath and sleep together. About a week ago they were playing as usualunder the couch, next thing you know there was a big hiss and boo took off running up the stairs, now she wont come back down and everytime she sees pixi she hisses and takes off running??.Boo has no problem with us or our dog only Pixie, I dont know what happened but i would love to have my cuddly kitties back. Will Boo ever go back to the way she was with Pixie?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they, have either of them been neutered, has anything changed about your house of late?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzkane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are 6-7 months not fixed only changes are a new couch

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are both males and not fixed chances are they are going to fight. At their age now their hormones are kicking in. They in a sense are becoming teenage boys with raging hormones. They will start fighting over who the dominate male is going to be and this will continue until you have them fixed. Also spraying can start at this age as each one will try to mark their territory. 

Once you have them fixed this will calm down and they should go back to normal. If you don't have them fixed chances are the fights will start esculating and you will have injuries on your hands which can be expensive if they end up with abcesses.

Good Luck

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting them fixed should help alot! It will also help them not to start spraying anyday now or trying to get out all the time.

jazzkane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We think they are both females but not sure how to tell

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ok, sorry I got the gender wrong. So forget about the spraying then, but getting them both fixed could still help them get along better. Their hormones are likely causing them to fight. Especially if it just started at 6 months old. Getting them spayed also helps prevent mammary cancer as well as other health issues. I would do it as soon as you can before they go into heat if they haven't already. I think you will have your playful kitties back.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By 6-7 months you should be able to tell if they are male pretty clearly. Sorry for graphic description but if you look at their anus and glance down if they are male you should see their (Knuggets) starting to come in. They will be close to peanut size by this age or if they are a little younger you will see a small space and then the penis area. It will appear like a little pronounced triangular shaped area with a small hole or circle area in the center.

If they are female glancing at the anus and looking down there will be a small vertical line coming almost straight from the anus. There is usually no real space between the anus and the vertical line. It will appear more flush to the body and not be as pronounced as the males areas are.

Females still fight for dominance and sometimes can be more vicious than the males. Also when they go into heat it is not fun. They howl, claw at the doors, throw themselves at anything that moves.

Either way if they are male or female getting them fixed will most likely fix your problem. They will calm down and be their loving selves without all those hormones raging.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, females going into season will have rivalry issues; they should be spayed ASAP. If one is a boy you're going to have bigger problems than rivalry! A male would have quite noticeable testicles by now, though.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We think they are both females but not sure how to tell
The vet will be able to tell, and they really should be neutered by now.  Males develop awful smelling pee, and neutering a female gets rid of the possibility of pyometra (infection of the uterus) and greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer.

jazzkane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the help, defiantly both females, and the graphic description really helped. Lol Guess we'll be heading to the vet.

jazzkane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, it's just strange?? Boo is completely scared of Pixie! Boo came down stairs this morning on her own, so I gave them some wet food as a treat. Things seemed to be going ok,then while I was sweeping boo was playing with the broom as usual, pixie decides to join in , got to close and Boo hissed, clawed pixie and ran.??? Pixie does nothing to show aggression , she just sits ther with a *** look?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By 6-7 months you should be able to tell if they are male pretty clearly. Sorry for graphic description but if you look at their anus and glance down if they are male you should see their (Knuggets) starting to come in. They will be close to peanut size by this age or if they are a little younger you will see a small space and then the penis area.

<snip>
Benny's 'knuggets' were obvious at just over 4 months!

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Benny's 'knuggets' were obvious at just over 4 months!
Wow! I have 4 boys right now and they didn't start getting them until around 6 months.  I just actually had them fixed on Sat at 9 months old and they were maybe large peanut or small almond size and not very pronounced. I usually have mine done at 4 months but these boys were feral and it took me until now to get them tamed and able to be handled by others without risk of injury or set back with fear of humans. It took me so long to get them to the point they didn't fear humans coming into the house or handling them I waited until now to have it done. I am lucky I have a vet that comes to my house and did their kitten check ups, worming and shots. So I only had to transport them for the neuter which I am happy to report they did great! Cool as cucumbers in the car and came home as if nothing happened. I also had 2 feral females spay on Sat as well. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't realise how obvious Benny's were until after he was castrated and I could see the difference...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't discount the spraying just because they are females!

A territorial female will indeed spray.

Baby Cat, my oldest was part of a feral colony and wasn't spayed until 2years old, if a tom comes round and sprays my trailer or yard, she will spray like crazy all over in the house.