Want A Cat, I Need Some Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes there are street cats who have become dissatisfied with street life and want to go home with somebody :D. So making friends with a street cat is another way to get a cat.

If you get a purebred, be sure to support a responsible breeder. Don't buy from some irresponsible twit who neglects and/or mistreats their cats. There is, unfortunately, no shortage of bad breeders. So make sure the breeding cats get proper vet care and have been tested for breed-specific genetic illnesses. I don't know what cat registries they have in Turkey but registration with a respected registry is the best way to know you're getting what you pay for.
True, btw I live in the Netherlands, Europe not in Turkey. I once saw a stray cat in the Netherlands that was super nice and came to every person he saw because he wanted attention. I understand some cats want to be with people others want to roam the outside and hunt.
I'll try search some shelters online and see if they have what I am searching for. I am not against adoption by any means btw I won't adopt rn but probably in a couple of months

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, haha, when you talked about the Istanbul street cats I figured you lived there :). Yeah, I don't think the Netherlands has much of a homeless pet problem. It's a small country so it's easier to keep everything under control.

Do you know any of the local breeders? Do you have friends who have a cat? You can ask where they got their cats and see if they have recommendations.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
A kitten is small and cute but once it is big I like it to be more sedentary and calm lol. The occassional play sessions are fine but as an adult I don't want it to be all over the floor running
The suggestion to get an older cat vs a kitten is because with kittens, you won't have much idea about their personality until they mature. With a specific breed, you can have some idea what the characteristics may be but each cat is an individual. With an adult cat, you know exactly what you are getting.

Cats aren't bred quite the same way that dogs are. Dogs breeds developed to serve a purpose, work, guard, looks, be lap dogs, etc. Cats are mostly bred for looks/ characteristics (I'm over simplifying/ generalizing here; others here can go into much more detail about specific breeds). If you want a specific breed, go to a reputable breeder 1. to ensure you get a healthy animal and 2. that breeder will know the parents, how previous litters turned out, and can help you choose a kitten that will be the best fit for you.

You can also find a great cat from a shelter. Not all of them are there because of health/ behavioral issues- sometimes people move and can't take the cat with them, or elderly owners pass away and leave their beloved pet behind. Generally, shelters can't accommodate animals that aren't adoptable, so you don't need to shy away from that as an option.

I'd suggest you look into shelters in your area, and just visit. Talk to the people there just to get a feel of things and see if anything strikes your fancy. At the same time, you can also research reputable breeders in your area and start talking to them about what what you're looking for. There may be a waiting list for you to acquire a kitten, or they may even have an adult cat that is no longer breeding.

I'd personally emphasize personality over breed, but then again the cats I've had in my life were acquired from someone else, a stray, and a shelter cat. They've all turned out to be some pretty nice cats.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out breed specific rescues. If someone already said this, I apologize.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, shelters can't accommodate animals that aren't adoptable, so you don't need to shy away from that as an option.
In fact most European shelters will accommodate any cat, including those not adoptable, as - imo - they do what they're supposed to do: give a cat in need a shelter. I understand it's different in US where non adoptable cats can end up being killed. There are places like this in Europe too, eg. I know that some Scandinavian countries may do this, but this is rather exception than the rule.

Aros Aros , you can also get in contact with some organizations that help to adopt a cat from overseas. Few years ago I needed to adopt a kitten in Luxembourg and since there weren't ANY, I ended up bringing it from other parts of Europe. Or you can see the shelters in the neighboring countries if you're not far away from the border, Belgium is unlikely but maybe in Germany?