Want A Cat, I Need Some Help

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I want a cat.
But I don't know which cat breed is suitable for me.
The two main characteristics the cat needs to possess is inactivity, he needs to be lazy and calm.

The second one he should be okay being an indoor apartment cat.

Who can help me pick a cat breed?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! There are several breeds that I can think of that could be a good fit. I would recommend looking into the Persian, Exotic, Selkirk Rex, Ragdoll, British Shorthair, and Scottish Fold. I would suggest going to a cat show, because that way, you could meet responsible breeders, and get a chance to see the cats in person. I’ll attach a link to the CFA and TICA show calendars.

CFA: Show Calendar

TICA: Show Calendar

Also, I would highly recommend checking out your local shelter to look for a kitty. If you adopt an adult cat (which, I think would be the way to go for you in any case, as kittens of any breed will be quite active), then you will already know their personalities, so you should be able to find a cat who is a good match. The shelter staff is usually quite helpful as well, in helping you find a kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the information!

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently deciding between a british shorthair, maine coon and ragdoll

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Check with shelters in your area and let them know what you're looking for, but I'd say that your description sounds like a ragdoll, or an older kitty for #1, #2 can be any cat as long as you're providing enrichment, lots of-, and different over time-toys, trees, scratchers, music, lovetime and playtime, #3 totally depends on the cat and could be any cat but a ragdoll or an older kitty could be a fit, #4, again this totally depends on the cat, and could be any cat that has been socialized and handled from kittenhood...

If you have a chance and haven't done this already, in your other post click on the little black flag in the lower lefthand corner, and in the box that pops up ask them to delete that duplicate post :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just head to your local shelters and rescues and see what cats are available? Most cats in shelters and rescues aren't any particular breed. They're "domestic cats", kind of the equivalent of a mutt.

An adult cat would be best if you don't want to deal with a cat bouncing off the walls with energy. Kittens are cute and all but they're super active and have to be taught good manners.

Talk with the shelter or rescue staff about what you are looking for. They will do their best to find a few possible matches for you.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If you have your heart set on a purebred, there are purebred cat rescues that you can look into. Are you located in the US? I’ll attach links to some US-based rescues:

Specialty Purebred Cat Rescue – Rescue dedicated to finding homes for purebred cats.

Adoption Application

Purebreds Plus Cat Rescue | Adopt Today!

Maine Coon specific rescues:

Maine Coon Adoptions – CALIFORNIA-BASED NO-KILL CAT RESCUE

Arizona Maine Coon Cat Rescue - rescuing, caring for and finding good homes for this loving breed

Ragdoll specific rescues:

Merlin's Hope: Ragdoll Rescue

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Having had and have a Maine Coon and Maine Coon mixes, I would not describe them in general as inactive or lazy. They are a breed that stay kitten like most of their lives, my Maine Coon who is almost 13 yrs old is lazy most of the time now, but for the first 10+ years or so he was pretty active and still gets playful when the mood strikes him. His daughters, who are mixes, literally were climbing the walls as kittens, they are smart and get into everything. They are almost 11yrs old and I still have to have baby locks on cabinets to keep them out, they are still full of energy and need playtime daily.

Like others have said though I think your best bet is to look at shelter cats rather then just a specific breed. Cats aren't like dogs who were bred for specific purposes, with the exception of maybe a Persian who were bred to look pretty and be pampered, lol. The shelter staff should be able to help make a good match based on personality.

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a country in Europe and the shelters here aren't overly full as in the US where there is even a breed specific shelter?! Wow lol... that is unheard of here.

All the nice/young cats get picked out immediately since not many people want to deal with an old cat with huge vet bills or behavioral issues they don't want to deal with the negatives but bring something positive in their life. I can understand that.

There isn't even a stray dog and cat issue here.
If there is it is definitely very little and people here love animals or are just very caring so they are immediately catched and put in shelter available for adoption.

I have tried looking into a shelter however I couldn't find what I want the easiest option is a breeder or like an online platform where individuals can sell and buy their belongings including pets.

Anyways after this huge text... then the maine coon is off the list.
What about british shorthairs and selkirk rexes?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely no kittens, if you want the kitty to be calm! Kittens of all breeds are hyper little guys.

If you absolutely want a purebred, sometimes breeders will have a retired show cat or breeding cat who needs a good home, and is past the wild kitten stage. Otherwise, check shelters and classified ads for an older cat who needs a home. Over 3 or 4 years old would be best if calmness is important.

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely no kittens, if you want the kitty to be calm! Kittens of all breeds are hyper little guys.

If you absolutely want a purebred, sometimes breeders will have a retired show cat or breeding cat who needs a good home, and is past the wild kitten stage. Otherwise, check shelters and classified ads for an older cat who needs a home. Over 3 or 4 years old would be best if calmness is important.
I have no issues with the kitten being energetic. As I can just watch it being playful and play with it. However once it has become an adult I want it to be calm and grown up

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A kitten is small and cute but once it is big I like it to be more sedentary and calm lol. The occassional play sessions are fine but as an adult I don't want it to be all over the floor running

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll probably either pick a british shorthair or a ragdoll since selkirk rexes aren't that often available.

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, how fortunate for the animals there. That is my wish for USA...if I ever win the lottery.
Cats and dogs are super good survivors if they are left in the wild they will swiftly raise their numbers.
If you have ever been to Istanbul or any part of Turkey you will see that stray cats in particular play a very important role there. They hunt rodents and vermin and therefore keep the cities free of those pests also people actually care about them.
They pet the cats on the street there, they feed them. The cats come inside the mosques, shops help them. To me those cats have a great life there.

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also cats of Turkey to me are one of the nicest and most beautiful cats in the world. Stray and purebred. Like the angora and the van cat are super beautiful. But mutts too are so nice.

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It just depends on how the street cats are being treated and handled. In Istanbul they are handled very well and have a good life. So those street cats have a great life. Many tourists also like them, pet them and feed them :)

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you go on youtube and type Istanbul street cats. Istanbul mosque cat you can see what I mean

Aros

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also locals feed them, provide blankets and boxes in the winters. They are like pets that are not owned

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes there are street cats who have become dissatisfied with street life and want to go home with somebody :D. So making friends with a street cat is another way to get a cat.

If you get a purebred, be sure to support a responsible breeder. Don't buy from some irresponsible twit who neglects and/or mistreats their cats. There is, unfortunately, no shortage of bad breeders. So make sure the breeding cats get proper vet care and have been tested for breed-specific genetic illnesses. I don't know what cat registries they have in Turkey but registration with a respected registry is the best way to know you're getting what you pay for.