Walnut Based Cat Litter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been using a Wal Mart brand unscented clumping clay based litter. I have two closed in litter boxes for my cat. I have noticed him sneezing some. Also, I became aware of clay based litter dust being an irritant for cats and humans and possibly a lung issue. I found Litter Maid walnut based clumping litter this week and brought it home to try. I poured it in the litter box and sprinkled just enough regular litter from the last batch he used over the top for him to get his scent. He has used it faithfully for the last two days with no outside the box accidents. It scoops easily and we both seem satisfied. Has anyone else used this litter with good results.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used it, and I like it too. I'm really not a fan of clay litters at all, and I really dislike scented litters. I generally use the grass litter, but I'll take the walnut if that's all the store has. I think the grass out clumps the walnut somewhat? But the walnut is more easily available and has multiple different formulas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have heard some members have good success with the LitterMaid Walnut Litter (think that particular type is sold exclusively at Walmart), but frankly I did not. It must sit for quite a long while for the clumping to be effective. And, if by chance your cat would step into an area that he has already peed in, the clumping is rendered useless.

It also was no better, perhaps even worse, in helping to prevent pee from sticking to the walls of the litterbox. But, in that regard, I haven't found any litter that will completely stop this from happening should the cat pee in a manner that hits the walls - even if that area is covered by the litter.

I say if it works for you - great!!! It seems like everyone has their preferences about litter for a whole host of reasons - and, I do think some of that is driven by their cat's litterbox behaviors.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm combining littermaids walnut with clumping clay litter, and the dust is decreased quite a lot.
But, due to not being able to find a clumping litter lately that doesn't stick to his feet (arm&hammer, dr elseys, …) I'm trying a tidycat granule style of litter just lately. The hunt continues LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is the clay content that disturbs me so I want to quit even using that mixed when Snoop gets used to this litter. His litter box is on the screened in back porch so it is not a house issue. He has another one in the garage if the weather is extreme and I put him there at night. During the day, he spends time outside in his closed in area.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This cat litter is working out good for Snoop. I like it much better than the clay litter I was using. This clumps and is easy to clean. Since this is a biodegradable cat litter, I am wondering about disposing of it on my property to fill holes. I would never use it around any of the trees or bushes that produce edibles. Does anyone else here dispose of natural cat litters outside on their property?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something about this walnut litter keeps the scooped waste from smelling so offensive. To me that is a definite plus.