Walking cats using a harness

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all, been a while! I have some questions about walking cats outside. My cat is getting bored inside and toys just don't do it for him. I'm thinking of walking him as soon as the weather improves, or getting a pet carrier and just letting him see the world a little.

First, should I invest in a heavy duty type harness or are the typical kinds for cats ok? Second, I'd have to bring my cat down a fairly busy street in order to access the walking trail where he'd be walked...should I get a pet stroller?

And how likely is it that cats can pick up diseases from walking outside? It's a walking trail, people walk their dogs, and of course there are river rats n groundhogs.

Is walking a cat safe, and what about a stroller? Does anyone here use one?

Thanks!

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any particular reason why you'd need a heavy duty harness? If not, the normal cat one should be fine. 

If he's vaccinated then he's as protected as he can be. 

I don't see why you'd need a stroller? I mean personally I find the idea of putting cats in strollers a bit silly and denies them the opportunity to burn off energy. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
[article="22430"][/article]

My experience has been that a lot of harnesses are much too easy for a cat to slip out of; the "jacket type" or an H-shaped harness is safer. Our last cat used a sturdy dog harness with an extra strap that went between his front legs.

Any cat being walked outdoors requires the vaccinations recommended for an indoor/outdoor cat.

If you'd be walking him along a busy street where he could be easily frightened by a passing truck, backfiring car, or the like, either a stroller or a (lightweight) carrier would really be advisable. A carrier could offer some small protection to you and your cat if you encountered an aggressive dog along the path you'd be using.