Walkies Welcome, Photos And More, With Or Without Leashes

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't quite figured out how to hold him still as my little guy is sooooo strong he pushes and wiggles his way out of my arms like a wild rabbit and makes some god awful noises in the process lol! I think that in his perfect world it would judt be him and I outside and no one and nothing else, but unfortunately he has come to the sad realization that other people exist :running:
Sometimes Buddy is calm as I hold him and the person goes by.
Other times as they approach he starts to squirm. When he does this I place him in his backpack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
So many walkies!! YAY~ Our Ori loves to walk hoomans..
But I've never seen someone else walking their kitties in my neighborhood. :bawling2: People are always so surprised to see Ori walking on leash.
:clap::clap2:Oh your video is fantastic! Ori is so nice to stop and say hi to the camera, but then off to more adventures.:wavey: And you never know, others may be inspired to take their kittys for walkies. :yess:
I see you mention butterfly harnesses. That was one of the top three I debated about when picking out Gypsys first jacket. I had no idea how she would react and wanted to make sure she wouldn't have an easy time escaping. I went with the Kitty Holster, but I really liked the Mynwood and the Butterfly jackets too.

Last edited:

Ori's Meowmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:clap::clap2:Oh your video is fantastic! Ori is so nice to stop and say hi to the camera, but then off to more adventures.:wavey: And you never know, others may be inspired to take their kittys for walkies. :yess:
I see you mention butterfly harnesses. That was one of the top three I debated about when picking out Gypsys first jacket. I had no idea how she would react and wanted to make sure she wouldn't have an easy time escaping. I went with the Kitty Holster, but I really liked the Mynwood and the Butterfly jackets too.

I think she stopped to see if I had any treats for her. When she discovered there’s nothing in my hand, she just went past me.:flail:

When I trained Ori to walk on leash, I started out with H harness. Because she was too skinny back then and could only wear a kitten size H harness. But the H harness made her choke once, even it’s only for a few seconds, it scared the hell out of me! I wanted something safer for Ori. So I started looking for cat walking jackets. My top three were also Kitty Holster, Mynwood and Butterfly cat jacket. :beerchug: I went with butterfly cat jacket in the end because I just love the fabrics, they are sooooo cute!:wavey:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I think she stopped to see if I had any treats for her. When she discovered there’s nothing in my hand, she just went past me.:flail:

When I trained Ori to walk on leash, I started out with H harness. Because she was too skinny back then and could only wear a kitten size H harness. But the H harness made her choke once, even it’s only for a few seconds, it scared the hell out of me! I wanted something safer for Ori. So I started looking for cat walking jackets. My top three were also Kitty Holster, Mynwood and Butterfly cat jacket. :beerchug: I went with butterfly cat jacket in the end because I just love the fabrics, they are sooooo cute!:wavey:
:wave3:Great minds think alike :crackup: Gypsy did so well I've been taking her out in a H harness sometimes. :catlove:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver's first foray into the big bad world with Honey as bodyguard.

View attachment 224823
:hellocomputer: :clap: Brave Oliver did wonderfully.
Having dear Honey as a bodyguard made it a little less scary. Thanks for sharing your great video, hope to see lots more. :heartshape:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I think so too. He was all a bit slinky and close to the ground but it was his first time.
:crackup:That will get better with time and practice. Gypsy was so funny with the first H harness we had. She was fine until the leash was connected then she dropped to the ground like it weighed a 100 lbs! The Kitty holster jacket she acted like it was a straight jacket, like she couldn't move in it until something interesting caught her eye then off she went! Keep posting your outdoor adventures.:hellocomputer:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cool looking harnesses I see on this thread. I now have a good idea of what I to look for in getting a harness for Katy. thanks all. fun thread too!;)
I see a lot of us use Cat Holsters. They come in a variety of sizes and colors, and several trim options, even a lined one for cooler weather. Velcro makes them completely adjustable. Darwin loves his and stands perfectly still while it's put on. He didn't like the thin strap kind at all.

Some cats, when swaddled in a harness or clothing, suffer from something called "freeze and fall" which seems so hilarious in videos. In truth, it's not something a cat can control, sort of like a fainting goat. They are literally unable to walk and sometimes, even to move.

The trick to not allowing a cat to escape from a harness is to not let him back up and out of it. Always stay behind or to the side of him.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm, Oliver's fallen out with me now. I've just come in from his second outdoor adventure and he didn't like it at all, not moving from under the hedge and crouched throughout. I think it's from the CATastrophe that happened when I came indoors from the first one. Darn the good memories they have. Mind you, he doesn't hold a grudge for long normally.
I did post his first walk on a separate thread before I realised this one existed. This was the series of mishaps.
Should I try again?

When he decided to go indoors, I put the handle of the extendable lead down for a second whilst I closed the door. Oliver ran towards the kitchen but the handle got stuck under a door. He pulled and it pinged from the door after him. Our little Cavalier got mixed up in this so Oliver and Honey both panicked and went flying into the kitchen with Honey overturning the litter tray en route. The tray upturned with Honey underneath full of litter and unpleasant things. Oliver tried to jump up onto the side, missed his footing and fell off. It all made lots of banging and crashing noises throughout.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm, Oliver's fallen out with me now. I've just come in from his second outdoor adventure and he didn't like it at all, not moving from under the hedge and crouched throughout. I think it's from the CATastrophe that happened when I came indoors from the first one. Darn the good memories they have. Mind you, he doesn't hold a grudge for long normally.

Edit. Duplicate post

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I did post his first walk on a separate thread before I realised this one existed. This was the series of mishaps.
Should I try again?
:doh: Definitely try again :p Oh my goodness, poor Oliver and Company!:fear: CATastrophe is right!:gaah: I saw Honey was not leashed, is your yard safe to let Oliver out unleashed with you shepherding? I doubt he will do much outside fast moving around for a while. Goodluck, and keep trying. After a few times with no drama and treats once back inside he will be fine.:vibes::vibes::vibes:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw Honey was not leashed, is your yard safe to let Oliver out unleashed with you shepherding? I doubt he will do much outside fast moving around for a while. Goodluck, and keep trying. After a few times with no drama and treats once back inside he will be fine.
It looks secure but there are a million gaps at the base of the hedge so it's person and big animal proof but cats can easily slip through it. Honey can get through it but just saying no is enough to deter her.
I will try again. The small dog leash jacket I use is just a bit too small and awkward to get on him so I think I'll buy a medium dog one. Most of the scary bit to him is putting the darned thing on in the first place.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Did you let him wear it around the house (keeping an eye on him) to help him get accustomed to the harness?

Last edited: