Waking the Baby

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me start by saying I love Evie immensely! She's my cuddle bug and I love when she spends nights sleeping on my face.

The problem is, now we have the baby, who is a very light sleeper, and when Evie comes in to the room looking for love, she meows. She always has, and I've never liked it and tried to stop her, but it wasn't a big deal. Now it is.

After 4 1/2 months of her waking the baby, I'm having to lock her out of the room.
I miss her!

Is there a way that I can get her to stop meowing so I can let her back in?

Thanks in advance!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can stop a cat from meowing. Can the baby sleep in another room?

When my kids were little, they just got used to any usual noises. I guess I would call it desensitizing. When my kids were babies, I never turned down a radio or tv. The house went along as usual, and they acclimated. They were excellent sleepers due to that IMO.

I really can't see any solution other than another room for the baby, or let the meowing go on and IMO the baby will get used to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... What can I say, she inherited my sleep habits. After 6 years, Evie's meows still wake me up.

The only time we don't have noise is at night- during all her naps we always have TV or radio or some source of noise, just for that reason. And even at night we live right next to a four lane main street AND an 8 lane highway... So it's never quiet!

I was worried there was no way to do it... But thought I'd at least try. Thank you for your input!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would move the baby to a separate room and leave the door ajar. Maybe that will help her sleep better and not be disturbed by the kitty.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bobby could and still can sleep through everything, we were never quiet because we wanted Bobby to be able to sleep through anything. In fact I have a picture of Bobby on his first day home(3 days old) covering his ears. Until he was 5 every time I showed him that picture he told me we were being too loud.

They get used to it but some cats have meows that could wake the dead, it's just the pitch and tone of them. Paul's dog's(chihuahua/ jack russel mix) bark always woke me up. Now I could sleep straight through Abby's, purebred Old English sheepdog, barking, which was very different. Sheepdogs have a very deep bark, they sound really mean but they were bred to defend the flock against wolves so having a scary bark that might scare off a wolf is better than having to go tooth to tooth(the reason they have really long profuse coats) with one every time one showed up. Now Abby's yelp bark(when she was protesting something or once she was old) would wake me every time. Evie must have one of those 'magical' meows.

Move the baby into a different room, use a baby monitor if you are worried about hearing the baby.

Taryn