Waiting Until End Of Summer To Decide To Rehome Or Not - Thoughts?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to re-home a cat due to a medical issue. My granddaughter, who was an infant and her mother had to come live with us, and her mother was terrified of having an infant in the house with a cat. There were NO other choices, so with a breaking heart, I re-homed my precious Berry with my best friend, who adored her. I did NOT go to visit for the first two weeks, because I wanted her to settle into her new home. Sher told me that Berry was noticeably mopey for a few days, but then picked up and began taking over her new house. When I came to visit her, she ran to me for love and snuggles, but settled back down as soon as I left.

SO...she will be upset for a FEW days. She will NEVER forget you, or cease to love you, but cats live in Zentime...an eternal "now." She will adapt, find new loves while not forgetting the old ones, and be happy very shortly. She will remember you, love you, enjoy seeing you when you visit, but not pine for you. The exception to this seems to be cats who have lived with someone for many years who dies, or goes into a care facility, but even they eventually make themselves happy in their new homes. It is their way, and their greatest strength, to live in Zentime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to re-home a cat due to a medical issue. My granddaughter, who was an infant and her mother had to come live with us, and her mother was terrified of having an infant in the house with a cat. There were NO other choices, so with a breaking heart, I re-homed my precious Berry with my best friend, who adored her. I did NOT go to visit for the first two weeks, because I wanted her to settle into her new home. Sher told me that Berry was noticeably mopey for a few days, but then picked up and began taking over her new house. When I came to visit her, she ran to me for love and snuggles, but settled back down as soon as I left.

SO...she will be upset for a FEW days. She will NEVER forget you, or cease to love you, but cats live in Zentime...an eternal "now." She will adapt, find new loves while not forgetting the old ones, and be happy very shortly. She will remember you, love you, enjoy seeing you when you visit, but not pine for you. The exception to this seems to be cats who have lived with someone for many years who dies, or goes into a care facility, but even they eventually make themselves happy in their new homes. It is their way, and their greatest strength, to live in Zentime.
Oh I feel you! I also do not want to reach out for at least two weeks, just to make sure my cat settles in nicely. It just sucks that it's 10 hours of driving for me to go visit her, but it's still the best place I could have found for her.

Thanks for explaining that. I was extremely upset knowing that she might remember me and become depressive about being away, but, it is true that they live in the moment!

Honestly, I couldn't stop crying until last night. I would just see where her old bed used to be and notice the now empty space, and remember how she'd always greet me when I'd come home late but now she never would, etc. But, I went out for a late night walk in the rain. I was still balling my eyes out but kept walking. Then, this beautiful orange cat (outdoor, tagged cat of a neighbour) approached me so happily, even though it was pouring. I picked her/him up and it purred so much, and meowed happily and everything. That was truly one happy cat! And it reminded me how my own cat didn't seem so happy at my home. This orange cat was full of light and good feelings, and I definitely and desperately want my own cat to be just as content. I hope her new home is exactly where she was always meant to end up, and ever since last night with that super happy cat, I finally stopped crying. I intensely realized that my cat was clearly stressed in my home/in a stressful situation and she deserves to be in a peaceful place with peaceful emotions. If that means away from me, then so be it. I will definitely miss her for the rest of my life, and she will forever have a piece of my heart, aaand I will probably always be a little emotional when I speak about her, but I know this was the right choice.

Thank you so much once again!

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someday, one day, THE cat will come. I believe this. It will be a way to honor your baby. The two of you will never forget each other, but will BOTH find joy again.
Thank you so much. I love cats sooooo much, I think only people on this site would understand. Innocent little fur babies. I hope I can meet the one meant to be with me some day. I will forever be heartbroken about losing this one (I get emotional even when I see a fur strand of hers somewhere). Sigh. I appreciate this.

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hugs, Darlin, HUGS! Yes, we do understand.
Thank you :) Today, I checked the organization's FB page and they had posted a picture of her. She looked sooo comfy, fluffy and happy. It made me so happy, I cried. I then called and asked how she is doing, and apparently she's quite popular and they expect her to be adopted soon. She doesn't get along with the other cats so she has her own space and everything. The staff is so great. They said she's a great cat! Which she definitely is. I am so glad I made the 10 hour driving trip for this. Will always have been worth it.

Welp, I can't look at her photo for too long because I do get overwhelmed and sad, but I am so glad she is okay. I know that facial expression so well. It's her happy place face.

I... still cannot believe she is truly gone. It is still hard, but I am so glad she is okay. Her photo got 100 likes on that post too which warmed my heart (she always makes adorable goofy faces). Sigh. This is a tough year but I am doing my best to not let guilt, in general, get me so down. I kept one of her collar tags and I'll always have it around. I don't know where this is going, but once again, thank you to this forum. I know without it, I would have kept trying to fix something I just couldn't. *hugs*

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read your story and I cannot express how deeply it touched me. Foremost is the wonderfulness of you being so in touch with your own feelings and your ability to express what you are feeling so beautifully. I admire your strength in moving through the painful feelings to get to a resolution that is best for both of you.

I was also so moved with the orange cat who greeted you in the rain. I hope you know that was a spiritual event. Whether you believe in God, or a higher power, or whatever, that cat came to comfort you. Sent for you to experience the feeling of joy you had with him. What a wonderful event. Please remember that whenever those deep feelings of sadness come over you.

I hope so much you will continue to post here with updates about how you are doing. Your story will help so many others who may be in the very place you have been. I know I will always remember your story and will think of you often. I hope each day it has become a little easier for you. Hugs and blessings to you and Rose.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so relieved to know that she's adjusted so well, and I can feel your own relief in every word! Just remember...no matter how hard this was, EVERYONE is better for it, and what you did was utterly unselfish. She will have a home where her personality is a perfect fit, and YOU will be sent just the right cat for you!

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read your story and I cannot express how deeply it touched me. Foremost is the wonderfulness of you being so in touch with your own feelings and your ability to express what you are feeling so beautifully. I admire your strength in moving through the painful feelings to get to a resolution that is best for both of you.

I was also so moved with the orange cat who greeted you in the rain. I hope you know that was a spiritual event. Whether you believe in God, or a higher power, or whatever, that cat came to comfort you. Sent for you to experience the feeling of joy you had with him. What a wonderful event. Please remember that whenever those deep feelings of sadness come over you.

I hope so much you will continue to post here with updates about how you are doing. Your story will help so many others who may be in the very place you have been. I know I will always remember your story and will think of you often. I hope each day it has become a little easier for you. Hugs and blessings to you and Rose.
Thank you so, so much. I read this on my email back then, but I was way too caught up in my heavy emotions to bring myself to be on this site for a while. Thank you for your kindness and compassion. Your message brought tears to my eyes from happiness, and I also believe that orange cat had come to me for a reason and higher purpose.

It's still not easy, and every time I come across another one of my cat's random belongings like an old towel or a strand of hair, I still get "time warped" back with my memories of her and it hurts. I miss her a lot and always will. I ended up calling the centre again and she's doing just fine, but it's still so tough. Some days I completely regret all of this and think I should have or could have tried harder. Ultimately, I still believe it was the right decision, but my goodness is this ever painful.

Thank you once again for writing me this. It's just what I needed at that moment. Honestly your care and genuine concern for others radiates through your writing. It will always mean so much to me. I'm still living through the worst year of my life and thank goodness for people like you who make life a little more beautiful, even a little more easier, for others.

I'm so relieved to know that she's adjusted so well, and I can feel your own relief in every word! Just remember...no matter how hard this was, EVERYONE is better for it, and what you did was utterly unselfish. She will have a home where her personality is a perfect fit, and YOU will be sent just the right cat for you!
Thank you bunches! My heart definitely has a hole in it that was always fulfilled by my little baby, but I know this was the best choice for her and I. Every once in a while, I come across a cat that lets me pet them for a long while. I hope something can work out for me one day where I can take care of one again or something along that line. I keep wanting to visit my cat at the center, but I know my heart will shatter all over again. AHH. It's so tough! Thanks again for your support <3

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was thinking about you just the other day. Thank you for letting us know that you are...not getting over, but getting through this, at least as much as you are able. We haven't forgotten you, or her.