Waffles

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never liked pancakes or waffles, but I tried waffles with a fruit sauce at work a few times and they were quite yummy.

I cashed in some of my airmiles reward miles and ordered a waffle iron. It arrived a few days ago and I finally got around to using it this morning.

The waffles are yummy, but man! Talk about a lot of work to make them! I don't know if it was just the recipe I used, but it required 3 bowls, and I don't do well with cooking things that require so many bowls to mix it up,

1 for dry stuff
1 for egg yolks and sugar which I had to beat. Then add the vanilla, butter and milk
1 for the egg whites that I had to beat to stiff peaks

Then I had to combine the milk mixture with the dry mixture and mix. Then I had to fold in the egg whites. I don't know how long that is supposed to take for the average person, but for uncoordinated me it took me 45 minutes by the time I got everything out, sorted into the right bowls and mixed! LOL

The first batch I cooked turned out quite icky and soggy; I guess I had the temperature too low and they didn't brown well. They were also really thin because I didn't put in enough batter. The second batch turned out better because I turned the temperature up higher. But I put too much batter in and it over flowed all down the sides and onto my counter. What a mess!

They sure aren't as easy to make as they seem.

Anyone have an easier recipe for waffles other than to open a box and stick one into a toaster?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there are some mixes out there that make pancakes and waffles... and I don't mean Bisquick.... I've gotten to hating that stuff... no flavor whatsoever. Depending on what flavor you're going for, there are lots of things out there, including healthier multigrain mixes to buttermilk mixes....

My mother has a recipe for simple cornmeal pancakes and waffles... if you're interested, and I can find it, I'll pass it along to you... if I can find the binder it may be in... if it's not there, I can email my dad and he can scan it and send it... but I think it is in the binder.

I don't have the kitchen space to make 'em from scratch, but I love my mixes!!

A.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember it was in Florida where i tasted my very first waffle with a blueberry syrup, and it was gorgeous!!

I must admit i wouldn't have the patience to make them myself

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a waffle recipe to make pancakes.
And I prefer fruit and whipped cream on mine!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was gonna say, there has to be some sort of mix! that sounds like a lot of work, Linda, makes them less enjoyable when you have to put forth that much effort to eat

I like my waffles with cinnamon apples and whipped cream

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
its funny you posed this, I have been looking for a nice chap waffle iron, as I want to make my own to, I havent looked at recipes tho

EASY GOOD WAFFLES\t

1 3/4 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
2 lg. eggs
1 1/4 c. milk
4 tbsp. melted butter

Sift dry ingredients. Add egg yolks, milk and shortening. Beat thoroughly. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. from...http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...waffle,FF.html
I have used the site b4 but neever made the waffles the link takes you to lots of waffle recipes

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 cups flour - sifted if you want, I rarely sift
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk - the older the better
2 eggs
4 Tbsp vegetable oil

The original recipe says to separate the eggs and fluff the whites. I quit doing that years ago.

Dump the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the buttermilk and eggs ( I usually crack the eggs into the buttermilk while it's in the measuring cup and stir them together pretty good before adding the wet to the dry. ) Mix well. Add the vegetable oil and incorprate gently.

Cook according to your waffle iron's instructions.

This receipe is easy to half. During the long dark nights of winter, we'll often have waffles for supper.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love waffles but am sort of spoiled when it comes to them...They have to be homemade and huge.

I got hooked on waffles as a kid visiting my grandmother. She would make them for me and serve them with blackberry preserves (homemade). Very few things can measure up to that..

Since I can't make them as well as she did I don't make them often but when I do I usually have them with blueberry or blackberry syrup.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make waffles like on The Simpsons, where Lisa says "Hey, these are just square pancakes!"

I'd love to make them, though, but I've never had a waffle iron because it seems a nightmare to clean, and I'm anti-Teflon and anti-cooking spray.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using this recipe from a betty crocker cookbook for YEARS!!!
They freeze nicely too.

Popular Waffles

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 plus 2 Tablespoon veggie oil

Heat waffle iron. Beat eggs then add remaining ingredients with mixer (or a good wooden spoon) until smooth.
Pour batter into center of hot waffle iron. Cook about 5 minutes or until steaming stops.

Makes about 8 7 inch waffles.

If you are freezing them I cook them until on the light side. I freeze in ziploc bags, unthaw in microwave then crisp up in toaster.

The best with warm (real) maple syrup and melted butter!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I think I'll try those other recipes and see how they go. Dumping everything into one bowl or into my Kitchenaid is my style of cooking, LOL

I noticed that some people mentioned corn meal and oatmeal waffles. I think I'll pass on those because I don't think I'd like them given the fact that I didn't like waffles at all until I tried them with blueberry or strawberry sauce.

The waffle iron isn't really that hard to clean. The plates don't come out. All you have to do is because it's nonstick, is to use a damp towel to wipe the grid. I had to do a bit more than that today though because I over flowed the iron and it spewed all down the sides. Had that not happened, just wiping out the grid would have taken a minute or two.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a brand of mix up there called Krusteaz, try that! The name is wretched -- my mom and I call it Kruschev instead -- but the mixes are really, really good.

And when a recipe calls for mixing the dry ingredients together and then the wet ingredients together and then blending the two -- I ignore it!
I just mix the dry stuff, make a little well in the middle, pour in the wet stuff and stir it up a bit before starting to incorporate the dry mixture. Works fine.

Try adding pecans or bits of chopped apple (or both!) to your waffles! I love it.

And I make cornmeal waffles, too, with frozen corn in them...wonderful.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a really simple recipe, with variations...

Basic Waffle Recipe
(makes eight double waffles -- for the two of us, I do a half recipe and it works fine)

2 cups milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tsps baking powder

Whisk together and cook according to waffle maker instructions.

This produces a lovely, light, crispy waffle. You can make it a little healthier, by using whole wheat flour. That's also nice. Serve with butter and syrup, and fresh berries if available.

Our favourite variation on this happened in the middle of winter, with no suitable fruit for topping, and a yen for fibre with no whole wheat flour in the house. I added some All-Bran to the milk and let it soak for ten minutes or so, and some cinnamon to the dry ingredients, and then, after pouring the batter on the griddle, lay some apple slices on top. The waffles take a little longer to cook, and they are definitely not crisp. But they sure are tasty!! For this recipe you'll need a generous half cup of All-Bran, probably 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and a couple of apples -- I favour Spartans, but any good cooking apple should be fine -- 1/4 of an apple for each 1/2 cup batter.

Alternatively, you can sprinkle some Grape Nuts cereal on top of the regular batter after pouring it on the griddle, and then scatter a few frozen berries on top. These will be more crispy than the All Bran ones, but will also take longer to cook than the basic recipe, naked.

Rob loves waffles, so I do them at least every couple of weeks. Any leftover ones can be warmed in the toaster, or left for snacking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Try adding pecans or bits of chopped apple (or both!) to your waffles! I love it.
Oh that sounds yummy! Maybe even a bit of cinnamon with the apples.

Yesterday I drizzled some honey and added some canned pear slices to the top. It was really good. But I think nuts would be really good.

I don't think I'll be going to boxed mix route. They're cheap enough to make from scratch requiring only eggs and milk over top of the basic staples like flour, vanilla, sugar, baking power and butter which I always have on hand. Plus it's nice to know what exactly is in what I make.