W8shingvi had done better by Smudge

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smudge was my baby, he was about 5 when we adopted him and he had acute kidney failure at age 8/9. The intensive care vets asked if we had lilies or if he ate something and the answer as far as we could tell was no. His kidney numbers were astronomically high but otherwise he acted totally normal. Dialysis would have been very extreme on his body so we said goodbye.

It was

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was sudden. I can't help think where did we go wrong? You can't do a ton screen on a cat and they found nothing in his x-rays or ultrasound. We adopted a new kitten to help our grieving girl after a period of time and consulting our vet, that process is going...

But 8m still haunted by what I could have done to stop this, we didn't see any signs and I don't think genetic kidney failure pops put of nowhere, so did we accidentally poison our buddy?
I miss him so much and feel his loss every day, try to fawn over his sister but it is just so hard. I miss you buddy.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, sweet Smudge, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

While genetic abnormalities often manifest very early on, this is not always the case. And a potentially deadly issue might be very slight at first, worsening imperceptibly over time. You will never know. But I know this...you loved your boy dearly, and you did everything possible for him the very moment you knew there was a problem. I know that because you said "ER vet." What you did was give him a loving home and joyous life for as long as he was here. What more can anyone ask for?

You will always wonder "what if?" because you are human. We do that. But Smudge, who is now In That Place Where All Things Are Known, knows you did everything possible to do for him. He blesses you for it, and he send his love for you, now translated and purified into Love back to you again. It will never leave your side. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kidney failure usually does not just appear, but cats are so good at hiding pain and symptoms and he may have been genetically prone to kidney failure as he got older. Kidney decline and failure are common in many cats as they get older, some progress slowly, some very fast. Please try not to dwell on the why, this makes his death more important than his life, and that can never be. You spared him suffering, and that and the love you shared is what is important right now. Second-guessing yourself and all those should haves, could haves bring nothing but pain and are a part of grieving.
He is a part of your very soul. Love is spiritual, so eternal. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers so send him thoughts of love and remembrance. To be thought of and mourned after death is a great honor, his life was important to you and your family and he will always be a part of your past. Just like you would want for him if you were the first to go, so he wants for you. To go forward and to live your life as it should be lived, to the fullest, and seeking the joys and happiness that life brings. That is love.
Of course you miss him, he shared your life's journey for a while. it takes a long time to adjust to the changes that his leaving brought on and time to allow your broken heart to heal. There will always be a scar, and a pang of sorrow when you think of him, but eventually it will mellow and thoughts of gratitude and love will overshadow the bad. But it takes a long time, one day at a time......take care of yourself, you have that sister to love and share your grief with. Never be afraid to add on to the love you already hold in your heart for Smudge. It is firmly entrenched there and can never be replaced, only enhanced by any added love, allowing it to grow and flourish, like a parent's love for each and every child. Unique and irreplaceable......RIP dear Smudge. You will always be missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Acute kidney failure can come out of nowhere unlike chronic kidney disease. The vet asked the right questions. It could have been a blockage, an infection, or ingestion of a toxin that brought it on. It also could have been a heart condition. There is a list of causes on this page.

Acute Kidney Failure in Cats

I believe you did your best and you prevented suffering. The pain is gone now. But the love remains always. I hope you'll share more pictures and when you're ready, a tribute or some stories about her life.