Vultures Won't Let Colony Eat

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't able to find it on Animals 24/7, and after reading some of their stuff I'm mad at them anyway :/. There is nothing in the state laws, except that "cruelty" is illegal but apparently what qualifies as cruelty is up for debate. Starving, injuring, refusing vet care=cruelty, a "quick death" like drowning or shooting is considered euthanasia for population control=not cruelty.

The feral advocates in the town my mom lives in are having this fight because there's a trailer court owner who is killing the ferals (that have been TNRed) and the sheriff and city cops say it's not illegal and they can't stop him. So far it appears they're right :/.

I believe they were referred to 40-1-17 here, where "humane killing" and pest control are specifically mentioned as not being animal cruelty: SD - Cruelty - Consolidated Cruelty Statutes | Animal Legal & Historical Center
They are interpreting the law according to their own bias. It is a FELONY in all 50 US states to harm or neglect ANY cat.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a vet in Texas who shot someone's pet cat with a bow and arrow. The vet claimed it was feral. She posted a picture of the dead cat on her Facebook page. She wasn't charged with a crime. So if there is a law like that here, it is not taken seriously.
The murderer's name is Kristen Lindsey; its license to practice veterinary medicine was suspended for 1 year and you are correct that the jury failed to do its duty. It was also arrested on a DWI some time after this murder. And yes, the law is frequently not taken seriously, in regards to non-humans as well as humans. The "justice" system in this country is so seriously flawed that I'm not alone in having little faith in it. But that does not mean that there are not laws on the books that need to be applied, and the more people throw up their hands and say they are too demoralized, tired, cynical, or (fill in blank with whatever term applies) to stand up for those victimized by bullies in any instance, the more the laws will continue to be flouted. Just sayin'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost got beat up and/or arrested trying to rescue some kittens. I'm just sayin'.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost got beat up and/or arrested trying to rescue some kittens. I'm just sayin'.
Hatred, intolerance and all of the other very negative things of which people fall prey to are certainly alive and well -- no one has to look far to see ample proof of that. But we must not let bullies and haters rule. Especially, most importantly, when the voiceless, the innocent and the blameless are involved.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started doing TNR last year and including kittens I have rescued, I must be up to around 100 cats now. So I am tired and I am doing the best I can.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started doing TNR last year and including kittens I have rescued, I must be up to around 100 cats now. So I am tired and I am doing the best I can.
You're a hero! Keep your spirits and your strength up, take good care of you, and know you are doing great, great work for those who need you the most!:thanks:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are interpreting the law according to their own bias. It is a FELONY in all 50 US states to harm or neglect ANY cat.
Can you point out where it says that so I can take it to the State's Attorney?

I seriously doubt it's a felony. Felony animal abuse is defined as: "Cruelty," to intentionally, willfully, and maliciously inflict gross physical abuse on an animal that causes prolonged pain, that causes serious physical injury, or that results in the death of the animal". So without the "gross physical abuse" I don't think there's a chance.

I was just hoping you knew more than I did about the subject :/. I'd like to help them out.

Keep it up, surya! It's tough but the kitties are worth it :D.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I have an unintended new pet. I made a little cat house and put it by the door of my apartment. There is something grey and fury underneath there. Maybe a possum?

Possum.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you point out where it says that so I can take it to the State's Attorney?

I seriously doubt it's a felony. Felony animal abuse is defined as: "Cruelty," to intentionally, willfully, and maliciously inflict gross physical abuse on an animal that causes prolonged pain, that causes serious physical injury, or that results in the death of the animal". So without the "gross physical abuse" I don't think there's a chance.

I was just hoping you knew more than I did about the subject :/. I'd like to help them out.

Keep it up, surya! It's tough but the kitties are worth it :D.
No, I don't have the laws here. But I have read reputable sources stating that it is so. You could search laws in your State on animal cruelty and find what it says.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I have an unintended new pet. I made a little cat house and put it by the door of my apartment. There is something grey and fury underneath there. Maybe a possum?
Yep, that's a possum! Don't bother him and he won't bother you. They usually move on after a couple weeks anyway, but even if he sticks around you probably won't even notice him unless you look. I always have a bunch of possums around and they never bother anything. The cats will eat right out of the same bowl with them.

No, I don't have the laws here. But I have read reputable sources stating that it is so. You could search laws in your State on animal cruelty and find what it says.
I have searched the laws. There is nothing in there stating that people may not kill cats, as long as the killing is done "humanely". Farming states are notoriously lax on animal welfare laws. Perhaps your reputable sources aren't well-informed about every state. It would be nice to try to get a political group together to help change that though.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, that's a possum! Don't bother him and he won't bother you. They usually move on after a couple weeks anyway, but even if he sticks around you probably won't even notice him unless you look. I always have a bunch of possums around and they never bother anything. The cats will eat right out of the same bowl with them.

I have searched the laws. There is nothing in there stating that property owners may not kill cats. Farming states are notoriously lax on animal welfare laws. Perhaps your reputable sources aren't well-informed about every state.
No, I think actually the killers are the misinformed/noninformed ones. Cats are the nation's and the world's most beloved companion animals, with millions more cats in domestic homes than the next most popular, dogs. These laws do exist and they need to be applied.Anti-Cruelty Laws Protect all Cats

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't happy about having that possum right next to my door. So I made his life a little unpleasant, waking him up by banging on the cat house and a few squirts with my new squirt gun (that I bought for the vultures, but didn't get to use). He did not leave his spot, but this morning he was not there. He can share the cats food, but he has to find a different spot to sleep.