Vultures Won't Let Colony Eat

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't have a car, so it's kind of hard to go to garage sales. But I could ask around, maybe someone has an old one they don't use anymore.
surya surya , I see you are in Houston area so I don't know what's available there, but here in L.A. Metro there are smaller indy carriers who sell phones and plans for a lot less than the big corporations. I was with one called EXPO MOBILE for quite awhile and liked their service and their phones. You might want to do a search on independent cell phone carriers/plans/providers that service Houston and see if you don't find something you like. They mail the phone right to your home.
And on the subject of cats, it is a felony in all 50 US States to harm ANY cat including a feral cat. Getting this enforced is sometimes difficult or impossible as the legal system in this country doesn't seem to have much power for the innocent and blameless, but our standing up for them is what it takes to get these laws enforced and taken seriously. You may also want to contact someone like Alley Cat Allies, the national database for outdoor cat advocacy, at alleycat.org, or Best Friends Animal Society at BestFriends.org. They have national network participators on various levels and maybe someone will be able to help personally or give you more resources.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I check into the phones. I know it's against the law. It's nice to think that I could get the laws enforced, but that's not the reality. They don't kill the cats in front of me. If they did, I would probably be in jail. But It upsets me to even talk about this, so I'm going to let it go.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I check into the phones. I know it's against the law. It's nice to think that I could get the laws enforced, but that's not the reality. They don't kill the cats in front of me. If they did, I would probably be in jail. But It upsets me to even talk about this, so I'm going to let it go.
I feel the same, intensely. But if we do not stand up for them, it will continue. They have no voice. We must be their voice. Out here in CA, a serial killer got 16 years recently, I believe in part because the cats (victims) had massive support online in petition signing and letter writing, and in court on the MANY court dates this cretin had. 16 years is nothing compared to what I advocate for -- capital punishment, as was law in ancient Egypt -- but it is significant in a society that trivializes the rights of the defenseless and places little or no value on life.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand what your saying Tarasgirl and I appreciate it. I wish you were here to help me. Right now I'm mentally and physically drained from trying to help the cats. I'm doing all I can.​
Such can feel overwhelming at times because we want to help them all, not leaving a single one behind. We each have our physical and mental limits, and then there is our day to day life, which we must maintain and not allow it to unravel (for lack of a better word). Life can be a bundle of tangled yarn with which we have to unravel. :dizzy: Some days you want to :hide: under a rock. When you've done all that you can do...there is always one option left...and that is prayer to the Creator of all living creatures.

“While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. There were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, "It makes a difference for this one." I abandoned my writing and spent the morning throwing starfish.” ― Loren Eiseley

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm breaking a couple of laws being out there trapping, like trespassing. And I have not witnessed the cat killings, hearing of it second hand from children and a guy who might be doing something illegal himself. I do know that poisoning cats is very common with certain immigrant populations and I have found a dead cat. When they disappear I know there is always a good possibility someone has murdered them. You also have to consider if reporting someone you do not have evidence against will result in retaliation against you or the other cats you are feeding. This is not some nice suburban neighborhood like many of you probably live in. I have already gotten myself into a dangerous situation and I have to be careful. So I have to trust my own instincts and judgements of when it is appropriate to report someone. My own wellbeing is also at stake. But I appreciate the good intentions of those of you giving me advice.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm breaking a couple of laws being out there trapping, like trespassing. And I have not witnessed the cat killings, hearing of it second hand from children and a guy who might be doing something illegal himself. I do know that poisoning cats is very common with certain immigrant populations and I have found a dead cat. When they disappear I know there is always a good possibility someone has murdered them. You also have to consider if reporting someone you do not have evidence against will result in retaliation against you or the other cats you are feeding. This is not some nice suburban neighborhood like many of you probably live in. I have already gotten myself into a dangerous situation and I have to be careful. So I have to trust my own instincts and judgements of when it is appropriate to report someone. My own wellbeing is also at stake. But I appreciate the good intentions of those of you giving me advice.
:catrub:

:alright: :grouphug: :grouphug2: :hearthrob::redheartpump: At least you have us to vent to and hopefully our support helps you cope at least a little bit. Please stay safe and keep us updated. :catrub::bluepaw: :bluepaw: :greenpaw: :greenpaw: :lovecat3: :lovecat:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support dustydiamond1. I just feel bad that I can't do more to help the cats. But I am doing all I can.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh please don't feel bad, you are a wonderful person and you are doing the best you can with the resources you have. Are there any like-minded individuals around you that you can talk with for some closer-to-home moral support?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm OK, it's just been stressful with kitten season.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is a felony in all 50 US States to harm ANY cat including a feral cat
Do you have a link to that law? I unfortunately don't think that's true, as South Dakota only recently made aggravated animal abuse a felony, and that only applies to deliberate torture. Farmers drown and shoot cats on a regular basis, and I'm told it's entirely legal. But if you have access to something that proves otherwise, I'd love to be able to use that!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a link to that law? I unfortunately don't think that's true, as South Dakota only recently made aggravated animal abuse a felony, and that only applies to deliberate torture. Farmers drown and shoot cats on a regular basis, and I'm told it's entirely legal. But if you have access to something that proves otherwise, I'd love to be able to use that!
I don't have a direct link but you can research the fact that it is so on ANIMALS 24/7, an online publication, or look it up in your State's laws. The "people" -- and I use that term VERY loosely -- who are committing those most heinous of crimes are murderers and they need to be arrested, prosecuted, and imprisoned.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't able to find it on Animals 24/7, and after reading some of their stuff I'm mad at them anyway :/. There is nothing in the state laws, except that "cruelty" is illegal but apparently what qualifies as cruelty is up for debate. Starving, injuring, refusing vet care=cruelty, a "quick death" like drowning or shooting is considered euthanasia for population control=not cruelty.

The feral advocates in the town my mom lives in are having this fight because there's a trailer court owner who is killing the ferals (that have been TNRed) and the sheriff and city cops say it's not illegal and they can't stop him. So far it appears they're right :/.

I believe they were referred to 40-1-17 here, where "humane killing" and pest control are specifically mentioned as not being animal cruelty: SD - Cruelty - Consolidated Cruelty Statutes | Animal Legal & Historical Center

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a vet in Texas who shot someone's pet cat with a bow and arrow. The vet claimed it was feral. She posted a picture of the dead cat on her Facebook page. She wasn't charged with a crime. So if there is a law like that here, it is not taken seriously.