Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Voting In The American Midterms

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by doomsdave, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Republicans only

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Leaning Republican

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. 50/50 Republican/Democrat

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Leaning Democrat

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Democrats only

30 vote(s)
    69.8%
  6. I can vote, but I'm not going to

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. doomsdave

doomsdave Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    So the election's coming up, and are you going to vote, and, if so, for who?

If not, share the reasons.

Working on my mail-in ballot right now.

2. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Generally speaking, a Democratic vote in this state is useless (last Democratic governor was before I was born). But oddly, this year the Democratic gubernatorial candidate (Billie Sutton) has a real chance. Most people like him a lot more than the R candidate (Kristi Noem). A few reasons I can see:
    1.) There are some locally that really don't think women should be in politics. I think that's hurting her a little. Not a lot but some.
    2.) She wasn't really trying because she thought that winning would be a gimme for any Republican candidate. But he's been going all over the state shaking hands. Also she's been in the House of Representatives for a while and nobody really likes her anyway.
    3.) He's a real good ol' boy who goes to church, rides horses, wears a cowboy hat, and has true South Dakota street cred because he was paralyzed in a rodeo accident and is in a wheelchair. Meaning that. . .
    4.) He has a "good reason" to be a Democrat ;). Yep, that's what one guy told me. He said you'd have to be stupid to be/stay a Republican if you're disabled. So for some people that might take the edge off the thought of voting for *gasp* a Democrat.
    5.) He's running on a platform of bringing more childcare and internet options to small towns. He knows what we need/want out here!

Anyway that will be interesting.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    daftcat75, margd and doomsdave purraised this.

3. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    The state that I am originally from Kansas is a ruby red state and they have had a number of Democratic Governors. From the 1960's forward it's about equal between the two parties. The Democratic governors in Kansas are much different then the ones on the national scene and the left coast. They are very moderate, many could be called Blue Dog Democrats.

margd, orange&white and doomsdave purraised this.

4. Elphaba09

Elphaba09 TCS Member Adult Cat

Sep 6, 2018
    NE Ohio
    I always read over who is running to see their stances on specific topics. While I never go in thinking "I can only vote for a Democrat," I do tend to end up voting all Democrat, as they typically align with my views. (There have been a couple non-Dems along the way.) I never vote blind, though.

My husband and I just filled out our ballots and are mailing them tomorrow.

doomsdave purraised this.

5. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Republican straight across. I already mailed it in, so it's done. :)

6. Tobermorey

Tobermorey TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    I never just blindly go through and fill in the blank for candidates of all one party, but after watching the candidates through the campaigning; reading about them in newspapers, magazines and online; and reading the voter pamphlet (book, actually), I always end up voting for candidates of all one party. :) The last Republican I voted for was Richard Nixon and see where that went.

Seriously, though, I don't believe the representatives of either party are doing so well at the moment. But the Democratic party most closely aligns with my belief that we need to take greater action to address a variety of challenges including the widening gap between the wealthy and those who struggle economically and the deterioration of our natural environment.

daftcat75, margd, LotsOfFur and 1 other person purraised this.

7. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    None of the local politicians have said one word on the environment. That would be The End for them :/. I don't know where everyone plans to live when this planet gets too ruined to support human life. . .

It's basically Jack Johnson and John Jackson here. The guys running for the House of Representatives even look alike except one wears glasses.

OK, there's one Libertarian running for Governor too. He says that Britain conspired with "the elites" to influence the 2016 election. Don't think I've heard that one before. He also thinks drugs should all be legal. He won't make a website except for his Twitter account, and won't do the Gubernatorial debate (he did do a forum at DakotaFest but that wasn't very big) or talk about his positions on the issues (except for his Twitter ramblings), he just says "like Ron Paul but more Nationalism". He sounds like fun :D.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    daftcat75 and doomsdave purraised this.

8. Tobermorey

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    Not unlike Utah where I lived for 10 years. Love the state. Love the people. But Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante, people. Let's not vote for those who would permit the Interior Department to turn over large swaths of these amazing natural and culturally unique resources to corporate interests.

margd, LotsOfFur, DreamerRose and 1 other person purraised this.

9. Gizmobius

Gizmobius TCS Member Alpha Cat

Dec 4, 2016
    Michigan
    I’d never cast my vote for anybody I didn’t thoroughly research and learn about their stances first, but everybody I have ever voted for whose beliefs have aligned closely with mine have been Democrats. With that said, I have procrastinated on my research of the candidates so this thread has inspired me to get on that!

margd purraised this.

10. Tobermorey

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    I’m hoping Fred Upton’s opponent has a chance. That was my district when I lived in Michigan, and I’d love to see him ousted.

Gizmobius and doomsdave purraised this.

11. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    I don't blindly vote Democrat, but I did end up that way this time just based on statements and where they stood on issues I care about. I have voted for Republican's in the past, just none felt right for me this time around.

12. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I feel the same way I did in 2016, where is the 'None of the Above' option.

13. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    I will vote Democratic straight across the board.

LotsOfFur, DreamerRose, muffy and 1 other person purraised this.

14. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    I don’t vote blindly, and, after review and consideration, the Democrats win.

The only Republicans I’ve voted for have been sitting judges.

15. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    So far, as of October 23, 2018 at 8:15 a.m. P.S.T. (Pacific Standard Time) 8 say they'll vote straight Democrat, 3 say they'll vote straight Republican and 1 will vote leaning Republican.

So far, no one's said "I don't care" which is a good thing.

Thanks to all who have participated.

And, additional thanks in advance to those who choose to participate in the future.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    tinydestroyer and Tobermorey purraised this.

16. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I voted that I would vote a straight Democrat ticket but in reality I'm checking to make sure I don't vote for a Democrat who shouldn't be in office. I'm still going through the ballot but so far I haven't found a Dem I won't vote for.

muffy, Gizmobius and doomsdave purraised this.

17. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    I try to do the same thing.

A conundrum can arise if faced with the choice of a Dem or a Reep who shouldn’t be in office. So far, thankfully, I’ve never had that problem.

18. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    :crazy: Yes, thanks. I corrected it.

If they are both equally unqualified, I'd go for the Dem.

19. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    A conundrum can arise if faced with the choice of a Dem or a Reep who shouldn’t be in office. So far, thankfully, I’ve never had that problem.[/QUOTE]
    If they are both equally unqualified, I'd go for the Dem.[/QUOTE]

I would too.

20. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    It looks like I’m the only 50/50 vote. I’m an Independant that votes for the person, not the party.

I’m going to have to go with lesser of two evils for Senator. I’m not going to feel good no matter who I vote for on that one.

tinydestroyer and doomsdave purraised this.