Vomitting, Lathergy, No Appetite, Swollen Belly & Leg Shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've been to 2 different vets in the past 24 hours.

They both have different opinions.

1: Thinks my 13months old cat has mammary gland hyperplasia, and the only way to get rid of it is to neuter her.

Could not tell me why she is experiencing those symptoms for the past 4 days.

2. Thinks it can be anything, and is asking me for a large amount of money to get her tested. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to do that 😪

First vet gave her an injection to help with the vomitting, and since yesterday she hasn't vomited which is a good sign. They also provided me with painkillers.

The second vet gave her a tablet to boost her appetite, and also a tablet to help her stomach lining. He also gave me a food supplement which I'm giving her through a syringe.

No overall her health has not improved but it also has not gotten worse, appart from the fact that she hasn't eaten in almost 4 days (apart from what I have assisted her with)

Any ideas to what this might be????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I will take a look, thank you.

She is currently waiting to be spayed, booked her in at the second vets today.

This wasn't done previously due to her being to young, and then again the vet said since she is in heat we have to wait until its over. So everything has been pushed back

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is something infected or ulcerated in the mammary glands which would cause an overall systemic reaction?

Vexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is something infected or ulcerated in the mammary glands which would cause an overall systemic reaction?
No there is no infection or ulcerations.

Poor kitty now is lying down lifelessly, with her little leg shaking from time to time:(

Vexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of the vets know this when I went to see them yesterday and today... i've been sent home with mild medication.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first thought was renal failure. Did you test for FIP? It's a young cat, so that's totally plausible. Until you can get a real diagnosis, all you can do is keep up food and water intake. Force-feeding is totally doable, especially on a cat that's practically gone limp tbh. Get as much food and water in as you can, but without a diagnosis, progress might be impossible. Sometimes cats go on hunger strikes over relatively minor issues and then end up getting liver cirrhosis just from digesting their own body fat.

Last edited:

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is she?
OP says she's 13 months old in the first post. I agree with others that this cat urgently needs to be taken back to the vet. My first thought was FIP with the swollen belly or perhaps she's swallowed something like a hair tie or string that's caused an obstruction. Regardless, this sounds like an emergency.

Vets here in the UK spay cats whether they are in heat or not - and they don't charge any extra.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always miss details!
I'd just gone back and read the post for the second time when I saw your post. I really hope Vexx has taken the cat back to the vet. I looked up that Mammary Gland Hyperplasia and I'm not convinced that's what it is but I'm not a vet. In the 40 odd years I've kept cats I've never heard of it before.

Vexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Just waiting for the blood results now! Should know within the next 30 minutes, I will update you all

Vexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OP says she's 13 months old in the first post. I agree with others that this cat urgently needs to be taken back to the vet. My first thought was FIP with the swollen belly or perhaps she's swallowed something like a hair tie or string that's caused an obstruction. Regardless, this sounds like an emergency.

Vets here in the UK spay cats whether they are in heat or not - and they don't charge any extra.
These vets told me otherwise... I've been told multiple things about her by original vet and ER! Messing with my head

Status
Not open for further replies.