Vomitting Cat - Any Aftercare Needed?

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Luciano has thrown up I think three times total since he came to live with me in early December. I don't know if there's any difference between vomiting and coughing up hairballs. but I'm talking about that weird peristalsis motion you can see in their stomachs with accompanying bizarre sound, and then something mostly liquid comes out of his mouth.

Anyway from December 9 to yesterday there were three incidences of this. Today there have been three incidents so far; the first was a bit more solid (I had to check to make sure it wasn't poop, no odor=no poop), the second and third were more liquid. He's a bit more quiet than usual; he's generally a big meower. Should I be concerned? I think I detected two pieces of tinsel-like substance from a play wig he got into back on Tuesday; the tinsel is red and shiny so it stood out.

As a side note, and this may be ridiculous, but I bought a cheap wooden top today & have been spinning it for him. It's small, just a two inch stick & small painted disc. He seems to like watching it spin and will occasionally touch it with his front paw to move or stop it. Is it possible this is making him dizzy watching the top? The first vomit of the day was this morning before I left, and before the top was purchased, so I know it's not the sole reason.

Should I be making him plain white rice or something other than his usual wet and dry food to eat? Is there anything else I should be watching for?

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats vomit sometimes as well. If it was only 3 times since December, (in my personal experience and opinion) If I were in that position, I wouldn't worry. That's just me though, all cats are different, and I wouldn't want you to not get professional advice or care just because of my personal experiences. He may have a bit of an upset stomach. Try to get him to eat some grass, as that can sometimes help him vomit out anything still in his stomach that is making him sick. I've never heard of a cat vomiting because of a top, but it is possible. Maybe don't let him play with it and see how it goes? If he continues acting strange, I would suggest calling your vet. It could always be something simple, but it could just as easily be something serious. I would just watch him to see if anything changes, or if he shows any other symptoms. :) I hope this helps!

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no rice...i dont really understand your problem, you are talking about something that happened in december? are you worried about your cat throwing up 3 times in the last 6 months?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
no rice...i dont really understand your problem, you are talking about something that happened in december? are you worried about your cat throwing up 3 times in the last 6 months?
No I meant to convey that although he only has thrown up three times since I've had him in December until yesterday, today he's thrown up three times. So now he's thrown up six times total, half of those times being in the last 20 hours. I mentioned the December date to show that he's not one of those pukey cats who's always coughing up hairballs; generally his digestion is wonderful.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Now he's thrown up five times in the last two days and hasn't eaten in three meals. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow.

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now he's thrown up five times in the last two days and hasn't eaten in three meals. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow.
Very good idea. Not eating and vomiting can mean something is wrong. Let us know how it goes! :) I'll be praying for your kitty

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, FreedomKitty17 FreedomKitty17 . In typical Luciano fashion, moments after I posted here & sent an email to my vet, Luciano ate some of the wet food I put out this morning & even played a tiny bit with his mouse on wire. He's still not himself, but I hope very much he's on the mend. I just hope he keeps this food down & eats some of what I put out for him tonight.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe I was too optimistic last night. He threw up again overnight & didn't eat much of anything again.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
The vet had me try a bland diet, boiled chicken and rice, and 1/2 Pepcid AC. He ate maybe half a morsel of chicken and a few grains of rice. No way he got any of the crushed Pepcid. He threw up last night and this morning, although at this point it's only liquid since he's had close to no food since Friday night.

We went to the vet this afternoon and $800 later, all I know for sure is there is no tinsel in his stomach. Xrays showed that, but not much else. A radiologist will read them tomorrow for a second opinion, when we'll also get the blood test results. Maybe it has something to do with his pancreas? He also got a B12 shot and sub-c fluids, but since he was sedated for the xrays, he's still lethargic and a bit dopey.

I thought things had taken a turn briefly this afternoon when I came home from work early to take him to the vet. He greeted me at the door purring, the first time I've heard him purr since Friday. I thought if he had eaten his food I would cancel the vet, but it hadn't been touched all day. The vet said no food tonight but try to feed him a variety tomorrow and see what he eats.

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet had me try a bland diet, boiled chicken and rice, and 1/2 Pepcid AC. He ate maybe half a morsel of chicken and a few grains of rice. No way he got any of the crushed Pepcid. He threw up last night and this morning, although at this point it's only liquid since he's had close to no food since Friday night.

We went to the vet this afternoon and $800 later, all I know for sure is there is no tinsel in his stomach. Xrays showed that, but not much else. A radiologist will read them tomorrow for a second opinion, when we'll also get the blood test results. Maybe it has something to do with his pancreas? He also got a B12 shot and sub-c fluids, but since he was sedated for the xrays, he's still lethargic and a bit dopey.

I thought things had taken a turn briefly this afternoon when I came home from work early to take him to the vet. He greeted me at the door purring, the first time I've heard him purr since Friday. I thought if he had eaten his food I would cancel the vet, but it hadn't been touched all day. The vet said no food tonight but try to feed him a variety tomorrow and see what he eats.
Poor little guy! I really hope you can find out what's wrong, but I hate it costs so much. :( I'll be praying!

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
At least he didn't throw up overnight & he did eat some wet & dry food this morning, but nothing significant. He must be hungry, but I'm glad he's taking it slowly. I won't be home til 7:30 tonight, hope I don't come home to more vomit.