Vomiting

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10year old male indoor neutered cat vomits every night toward morning. It is yellowish tan-gold color with no food or hair in it and is pretty runny. He eats Friskies Ocean Fish wet in the mornings and Purina Sensitive Stomach Dry in the evenings. He rarely ever is able to sneak outside. I have had him to the vet and got no answers. There is some dry food left out at night if he wants to munch at night, but I have tried putting that away to see if it would help and it doesn't change anything. The vomiting does not coincide with any food, or other, changes. I haven't seen any other changes in his weight or behavior. I feel so bad for him and sure do not like waking up to messes every morning.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 10year old male indoor neutered cat vomits every night toward morning. It is yellowish tan-gold color with no food or hair in it and is pretty runny. He eats Friskies Ocean Fish wet in the mornings and Purina Sensitive Stomach Dry in the evenings. He rarely ever is able to sneak outside. I have had him to the vet and got no answers. There is some dry food left out at night if he wants to munch at night, but I have tried putting that away to see if it would help and it doesn't change anything. The vomiting does not coincide with any food, or other, changes. I haven't seen any other changes in his weight or behavior. I feel so bad for him and sure do not like waking up to messes every morning.
How long is this been going on? Does it coincide with the opening of a new bag of dry food? How long has he been on this food? Is there food left over in the bowl in the morning? And he does not vomit the wet food right?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing he is going too long between meals. How much of the dry does he eat? If not a lot, it is probably because he is no longer as interested in that food and would rather not eat much of it. I would give him some wet food in the evenings, and still leave out the dry for overnight. Can you try another wet food so that fish isn't the only flavor he gets?

Feeby (16+ yo) stopped eating her dry food a couple-three years back - her own choice - and now wants all wet food. She was throwing up bile in the early AM until I started to make sure she has something to eat later at night. I also feed her more meals in a day as that seems to work better for her than just trying to give her only two.

Try some wet food for at least a partial meal later in the evening and see if the vomiting stops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long is this been going on? Does it coincide with the opening of a new bag of dry food? How long has he been on this food? Is there food left over in the bowl in the morning? And he does not vomit the wet food right?
Thanks. It has been going on for about four weeks, it does not coincide with a new bag of food, and he only vomits at night, toward early morning. He has been on the wet food for years and the dry food for about six months. There usually is some dry food left over in the mornings. No. He does not seem to vomit the wet food. The vomit is kind of goldish and runny with no signs of food or hair in it. I put him on the sensitive stomach/shedding food about six months ago in attempt to cut down on shedding, but the vomiting did not coincide with that change. Thank you for your response. I am desperate to get to the bottom of this.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. It has been going on for about four weeks, it does not coincide with a new bag of food, and he only vomits at night, toward early morning. He has been on the wet food for years and the dry food for about six months. There usually is some dry food left over in the mornings. No. He does not seem to vomit the wet food. The vomit is kind of goldish and runny with no signs of food or hair in it. I put him on the sensitive stomach/shedding food about six months ago in attempt to cut down on shedding, but the vomiting did not coincide with that change. Thank you for your response. I am desperate to get to the bottom of this.
I would start off with simple stuff first. I will take him off the dry food. Sometimes a certain food just doesn’t gel with the system and they can eat the food for a while before the body finally can’t take it anymore and they start to vomit. I would either switch to a different food, or take them off the dry food and see how it goes. And the company may have changed the formulation. Even just a small change can make a difference to some critters. Is the vomit the same color as the food?

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would start off with simple stuff first. I will take him off the dry food. Sometimes a certain food just doesn’t gel with the system and they can eat the food for a while before the body finally can’t take it anymore and they start to vomit. I would either switch to a different food, or take them off the dry food and see how it goes. And the company may have changed the formulation. Even just a small change can make a difference to some critters. Is the vomit the same color as the food?
Thanks. No the vomit is not the same color as the food. I did switch him back to the dry food he had been on for years yesterday and hope this helps. He did throw up at 6am this morning, but I am hopeful it will ease after his body adjusts to the old/new food. I hope food was the only issue.

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing he is going too long between meals. How much of the dry does he eat? If not a lot, it is probably because he is no longer as interested in that food and would rather not eat much of it. I would give him some wet food in the evenings, and still leave out the dry for overnight. Can you try another wet food so that fish isn't the only flavor he gets?

Feeby (16+ yo) stopped eating her dry food a couple-three years back - her own choice - and now wants all wet food. She was throwing up bile in the early AM until I started to make sure she has something to eat later at night. I also feed her more meals in a day as that seems to work better for her than just trying to give her only two.

Try some wet food for at least a partial meal later in the evening and see if the vomiting stops.
Thank you. Believe it or not, he prefers the dry food and I feed him as much as he wants throughout the day. He eats about an eighth of a cup of dry food and usually eats his last meal around 10pm, but I still leave food where he can have it during the night if he wants. He is a small cat, about eight pounds. What is the thing with the fish? I think I may have heard something about fish before, but kept giving it to him because he is extremely picky and will not eat any other wet food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Ok. Does he eat any of the dry food overnight?

About the fish - There are essentially 3 elements to consider when feeding a cat canned food that contains tuna/fish (that is - canned food made for cats, not for humans). Thiamine, Vitamin E, & metals. As noted in the below article (see link):
"If you’re feeding good quality commercial cat food manufactured by a reputable company, you can safely feed fish-based food without risking thiamine-deficiency or pansteatitis [Vitamin E deficiency]...At this point, it’s hard to tell whether heavy metals are a possible issue when feeding fish or fish-based products. With no established data as to the long-term effects, you may want to contact the manufacturer of your brand of cat food and ask if they test their product for heavy metals. Otherwise, consider limiting the consumption of fish-flavored products until more information becomes available on this topic."
Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet? – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. We use Friskies can food. I will definitely try some can food tonight. He actually just a few moments ago told me he wants some dry food and is eating right now. He does eat a few times during the day. He comes and lets me know when he wants food. He is so smart. Thank you so much for your advice!

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, Ok. Does he eat any of the dry food overnight?

About the fish - There are essentially 3 elements to consider when feeding a cat canned food that contains tuna/fish (that is - canned food made for cats, not for humans). Thiamine, Vitamin E, & metals. As noted in the below article (see link):
"If you’re feeding good quality commercial cat food manufactured by a reputable company, you can safely feed fish-based food without risking thiamine-deficiency or pansteatitis [Vitamin E deficiency]...At this point, it’s hard to tell whether heavy metals are a possible issue when feeding fish or fish-based products. With no established data as to the long-term effects, you may want to contact the manufacturer of your brand of cat food and ask if they test their product for heavy metals. Otherwise, consider limiting the consumption of fish-flavored products until more information becomes available on this topic."
Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet? – TheCatSite Articles
Any advice for getting an extremely picky cat to eat something other than fish in can food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suppose you could try some foods where there is fish flavoring in them, but not necessarily the primary ingredient. The lower on the list the fish is, in terms of ingredients, the less risk there is related to metals.

I have the opposite issue with Feeby, she won't eat canned food where the primary ingredient is fish. But, she eats Fancy Feast pates, and many of them do have fish flavorings in them. It is also depends on the texture of the canned food that your guy likes as to what your options might be. I believe bonito flakes (dried fish) is lower in metals that standard canned cat food, probably somewhat because so much less is needed to flavor foods with fish, so that might be something to consider as a topper to non-fish based foods.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any time my cats have had yellow vomit, it has been bile. I would also feed a little more wet food and see if that helps.
Try feeding him a Sheba pate portion at the 10 p.m. feeding. It's smooth and easy on their digestive system. I would avoid the fish ones for now, and try the beef, turkey, or chicken and see how it goes.

I feed it to my two in the morning as they will vomit anything else up because of the bile in the stomachs.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. No the vomit is not the same color as the food. I did switch him back to the dry food he had been on for years yesterday and hope this helps. He did throw up at 6am this morning, but I am hopeful it will ease after his body adjusts to the old/new food. I hope food was the only issue.
Me too!

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any advice for getting an extremely picky cat to eat something other than fish in can food?
Have you tried any of the real high end foods like tiki cat? I don’t mean “wellness” or blue Buffalo or the like. I don’t consider them really high end.

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose you could try some foods where there is fish flavoring in them, but not necessarily the primary ingredient. The lower on the list the fish is, in terms of ingredients, the less risk there is related to metals.

I have the opposite issue with Feeby, she won't eat canned food where the primary ingredient is fish. But, she eats Fancy Feast pates, and many of them do have fish flavorings in them. It is also depends on the texture of the canned food that your guy likes as to what your options might be. I believe bonito flakes (dried fish) is lower in metals that standard canned cat food, probably somewhat because so much less is needed to flavor foods with fish, so that might be something to consider as a topper to non-fish based foods.
Thanks. He does prefer pate. He won't eat the shreds or chunks even if it is fish. So picky. I do have the sprinkle on fish flavor, which did not interest him at all. He threw up again this morning at 5am after following the suggestions yesterday. I will keep researching. Trips to the vet have not helped.... Thanks for your kind attention and Feeby's experience.

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. He does prefer pate. He won't eat the shreds or chunks even if it is fish. So picky. I do have the sprinkle on fish flavor, which did not interest him at all. He threw up again this morning at 5am after following the suggestions yesterday. I will keep researching. Trips to the vet have not helped.... Thanks for your kind attention and Feeby's experience.
I did take Mikey to the vet this morning and he agreed with you all that it is biluminous (bile) vomiting and prescribed 1/4 of a 10mg Omeprazole tablet every evening. But I am finding that it is only available in 20 mg so cutting that little tablet eight ways will be a challenge, but I am going to leave that to my hubby. Doc says it is likely age related overproduction of stomach acid and may take a few weeks to resolve on the meds. Thanks everybody

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call all your local pharmacies and ask if they offer a pharmacy brand or other generic in 10mg. Also, ask about a liquid suspension. You should be able to find one or the other. Omeprazole is the standard generic name, but the same product is sold under a whole bunch of 'brand' names.

I hope it works!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Call all your local pharmacies and ask if they offer a pharmacy brand or other generic in 10mg. Also, ask about a liquid suspension. You should be able to find one or the other. Omeprazole is the standard generic name, but the same product is sold under a whole bunch of 'brand' names.

I hope it works!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
Thank you so much. Great ideas!