Vomiting

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, My two year old cat vomited once yesterday morning and once this morning. The food was pretty much undigested dry food. We had been putting her in her own room at night since she was a kitten but decided the last three days to leave her out and see how she did. She slept with us and didn't really do any naughty behaviors to negatively affect our sleep so we are going to try to let her be out at night(She wants to be by me all the time). I'm wondering if she isn't eating much the last few days and eating more in the morning to cause her to vomit? I noticed that her bowl was fuller in the morning more than normal of her allotted dry food. She is eating fine otherwise and using the litter box. The only thing was these two episodes of vomiting in the morning. Could it be she isn't leaving our room to eat anything during the night so she is over eating in the morning even though food is available all the time?( She is free fed with an allotted amount and The door is open so she can freely leave when she wants). I didn't think this little change would cause any issues. Would like to continue to see how she does out and night because I can tell she's happy to sleep with us. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she is much happier sleeping with you which is sweet. :sleepycat: Since you mentioned the door is open she would definitely be able to eat at night if she was hungry. Regarding the vomiting I find that happens more often with dry food as opposed to wet/canned food. Usually dry food is swallowed whole and if she has a hairball the combination could be causing her to vomit. You may want to try and only give her food at specific scheduled times, not let her free feed and see if that helps. Or if she eats her food too fast you may want to try some of these tips to slow down her eating:
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – TheCatSite Articles

If the vomiting continues or she shows any other symptoms you should contact your vet. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It might also be that there are too many hours in between the last time she eats at night and when she next eats in the morning, causing a build up of acid in her stomach - which can trigger vomiting. I think it is likely that she isn't leaving you at night to go out and eat, probably because getting to sleep with you is so new and therefore a 'treat' for her. That might change over time as the 'novelty' wears off. You could try to place a dish of food and water in your room overnight - perhaps that might encourage her to get up for a late night snack. After all, that is what she was used to when she was in her own room - having food right there nearby. And, this way she would still have her food nearby without having to go too far away from you. Or, if you are considering introducing canned food into her diet, you could give her a meal later at night before you go to bed to see if that stops the morning vomit session.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. It might also be that there are too many hours in between the last time she eats at night and when she next eats in the morning, causing a build up of acid in her stomach - which can trigger vomiting. I think it is likely that she isn't leaving you at night to go out and eat, probably because getting to sleep with you is so new and therefore a 'treat' for her. That might change over time as the 'novelty' wears off. You could try to place a dish of food and water in your room overnight - perhaps that might encourage her to get up for a late night snack. After all, that is what she was used to when she was in her own room - having food right there nearby. And, this way she would still have her food nearby without having to go too far away from you. Or, if you are considering introducing canned food into her diet, you could give her a meal later at night before you go to bed to see if that stops the morning vomit session.
Well, there was no vomiting this morning. I noticed she had ate a little of her food during the night as there was a smaller amount left. I also made sure she only had a small portion this morning as she was eating really fast(I can see now why she threw up!). Hopefully she will realize she can leave our room more frequently as you stated the "novelty will wear off" :) thanks to all who responded. Hopefully no more vomiting issues!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats will vomit in the morning too, if they are given dry food then. I think dry food is not very digestible to them when they have a stomach full of bile. So I feed mine a Sheba pate in the morning, and there are no throw-ups.

Free feeding is not really a good idea, regardless of the time of day.