vomiting to wet food?

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

My 5 month old kitten Hugzie vomited more than all cats I've had before collectively. I had him only 2 months ago. He was diagnosed with a virus when he was only 3 months old. so 3-4 days he was vomiting because of that. but after that, he has been vomiting every two weeks or sometimes less. I have noticed that whenever he eats wet food, he vomits it out. when he eats dry feed, he's fine!

I tried changing the food brand. tried foods with more gravy, less gravy, mixed flavors, one flavor, jelly, blended, ... etc. nothing worked.
I also tried cooking for him at home, but he doesn't eat anything I cook, only boiled chicken breast as long as it's dry.

I took him to the vet, she said it's normal as long as there's no diarrhea. she only advised me to keep him away from fish and milk because it upsets his stomach.

did this happen to your cats? please share.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 1.16.11 AM 123.jpeg

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which brands and flavors have your tried? A lot of companies will put chicken in all of their flavors because it's cheaper. Many cat foods listed as "beef" or "turkey" actually have chicken as one of their main ingredients. I've noticed the same thing with peas, fish and corn. Your cat is pretty young so an allergy is unlikely, but still possible. I'm curious if we can find a common ingredient in all of those wet foods you've tried to potentially rule out an allergy or intolerance.

My kitten Goose developed a beef allergy at about 5-6 months. My cat Morty developed a complete intolerance of dry food by around age 4 and a fish allergy around age 5. His symptoms were vomiting and scratching around the ears/head, as well as asthma although I don't know if it was food related. My cats were vomiting far more frequently though, like every day.

Also, are you completely sure he is vomiting and not regurgitating his food? One of the main ways to know is if you hear the horrible retching noises. Is he doing it directly after eating or later on? Is the food usually digested? Is there ever hair in his vomit? Sorry for so many questions but they're important to figure out why this is happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Which brands and flavors have your tried? A lot of companies will put chicken in all of their flavors because it's cheaper. Many cat foods listed as "beef" or "turkey" actually have chicken as one of their main ingredients. I've noticed the same thing with peas, fish and corn. Your cat is pretty young so an allergy is unlikely, but still possible. I'm curious if we can find a common ingredient in all of those wet foods you've tried to potentially rule out an allergy or intolerance.

My kitten Goose developed a beef allergy at about 5-6 months. My cat Morty developed a complete intolerance of dry food by around age 4 and a fish allergy around age 5. His symptoms were vomiting and scratching around the ears/head, as well as asthma although I don't know if it was food related. My cats were vomiting far more frequently though, like every day.

Also, are you completely sure he is vomiting and not regurgitating his food? One of the main ways to know is if you hear the horrible retching noises. Is he doing it directly after eating or later on? Is the food usually digested? Is there ever hair in his vomit? Sorry for so many questions but they're important to figure out why this is happening.

No worries. I appreciate the help.

I didn't know the difference between regurgitating and vomiting. I just read this article online to learn the difference, and yes, it is absolutely vomiting. I could hear the noises he makes while vomiting and I see his neck stretching and everything. actually two days ago he vomited first thing in the morning and it woke me up because he vomited next to my bed.

He doesn't do it directly after eating. he does it some time after. the food is usually not fully digested. that's how I know it's the wet food he ate. I know how it looks. and no there is no hair in his vomit.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No worries. I appreciate the help.

I didn't know the difference between regurgitating and vomiting. I just read this article online to learn the difference, and yes, it is absolutely vomiting. I could hear the noises he makes while vomiting and I see his neck stretching and everything. actually two days ago he vomited first thing in the morning and it woke me up because he vomited next to my bed.

He doesn't do it directly after eating. he does it some time after. the food is usually not fully digested. that's how I know it's the wet food he ate. I know how it looks. and no there is no hair in his vomit.
Then in that case I think the most likely possibilities would be an acid issue (think acid reflux in humans) or an allergy. Of course there is a giant list of other possibilities, but since you've gone to the vet and they're not overly concerned, I would start by looking at the ingredients in the food. Starting here will be the cheapest and easiest route. While many cats cannot tolerate dry food (it's pretty far off from what what they were meant to consume) I have never heard of a cat that can't tolerate wet. That seems very strange and leads me to believe it's an ingredient that is causing a reaction. Sometimes it's a protein, gum, carbohydrate, preservative...

When my kitten has beef he throws up immediately. I think with him it's more of an intolerance than an allergy, although I don't specifically know if there's a difference between the two. When Morty throws up from allergies it's a combination of things. After eating, middle of the night, sometimes food, sometimes just acid. You might find it helpful to track when and where he is throwing up. While it could be an allergy to something in those wet foods, it's also possible that it's coincidence and actually something else causing it, like cat litter for example. Finally I want to say that if it is a food allergy, it can take up to three months for symptoms to subside. If your vet feels he may have a problem with fish, this vomiting could have been from something he ate 2 months ago if it had fish. My cat Morty has a severe allergy and will even react to fish oil, which is in a lot of foods. He can only have pharmacutical grade fish oil (AKA expensive, high quality oil not usually used in cat food) because it has all of the protein removed. Once we removed dry food and fish from his diet, his vomiting got down to about once a week. Not ideal, but better than every day. Clearly he has another allergy brewing I've just yet to find what it is.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to add that most people figure out what is causing the problem via an elimination diet. They'll feed the cat a food with one protein and see if there's any reaction. This would take up to 3 months to know if it's made a difference though, which is why I didn't really go into it too much in my other post. I think there's a good possibility that you may be able to figure it out simply by looking at all the ingredients in the food you've tried and seeing what they have in common.

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear about Morty.
I think it's a great idea to find out if there's a specific ingredient he's allergic to.
at first, all he ate was Tuna and Salmon and other fish types. we found out it makes him sick so now I stopped giving him fish. the same thing happened with milk. I don't think it's chicken because his dry food is chicken and he hasn't vomited that yet. I'll be targeting beef and see how it goes,

thank you very much for the help it's a great idea

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear about Morty.
I think it's a great idea to find out if there's a specific ingredient he's allergic to.
at first, all he ate was Tuna and Salmon and other fish types. we found out it makes him sick so now I stopped giving him fish. the same thing happened with milk. I don't think it's chicken because his dry food is chicken and he hasn't vomited that yet. I'll be targeting beef and see how it goes,

thank you very much for the help it's a great idea
He's doing better now, but thank you. We think it might be turkey or peas doing it now so we'll have to see.

That sounds like a good plan. Some of the most common allergies are beef, fish, chicken, egg, and corn, but realistically is can be just about anything. Just make sure to really look at the labels because like I mentioned many companies will mix proteins. And just remember that he may still be reacting from a past allergen. Also, if you were talking about cow's milk, it will cause a reaction in almost all cats since they're lactose intolerant.

With Goose his symptoms went away immediately after stopping the beef, which is why I think it was more of an intolerance. Morty took about 2 months with fish.

And you're welcome, hopefully someone else chimes in so you can hear other's opinions as well.

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
He's doing better now, but thank you. We think it might be turkey or peas doing it now so we'll have to see.

That sounds like a good plan. Some of the most common allergies are beef, fish, chicken, egg, and corn, but realistically is can be just about anything. Just make sure to really look at the labels because like I mentioned many companies will mix proteins. And just remember that he may still be reacting from a past allergen. Also, if you were talking about cow's milk, it will cause a reaction in almost all cats since they're lactose intolerant.

With Goose his symptoms went away immediately after stopping the beef, which is why I think it was more of an intolerance. Morty took about 2 months with fish.

And you're welcome, hopefully someone else chimes in so you can hear other's opinions as well.
Thank you so much. I hope both of your cats are doing better now. wish me luck with mine.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

My 5 month old kitten Hugzie vomited more than all cats I've had before collectively. I had him only 2 months ago. He was diagnosed with a virus when he was only 3 months old. so 3-4 days he was vomiting because of that. but after that, he has been vomiting every two weeks or sometimes less. I have noticed that whenever he eats wet food, he vomits it out. when he eats dry feed, he's fine!

I tried changing the food brand. tried foods with more gravy, less gravy, mixed flavors, one flavor, jelly, blended, ... etc. nothing worked.
I also tried cooking for him at home, but he doesn't eat anything I cook, only boiled chicken breast as long as it's dry.

I took him to the vet, she said it's normal as long as there's no diarrhea. she only advised me to keep him away from fish and milk because it upsets his stomach.

did this happen to your cats? please share.

View attachment 370564
Vomiting that much is not normal. My cat Maggie used to do it every morning before eating spit and fur. So it has stopped since feeding her with a timer at 6 am. I get up at 9. Being without food for 9 hours did not help. Timer is for wet food. Pate she vomits but not if it has pieces of meat. Right now she eats farmina, simply nourish morsals for kittens- does not matter that she's adult. Also tiki and against the grain. Dry food she is more likely to vommit from eating too fast. Could also cause constipation