Vomiting several times after our oil furnace is putting out fumes

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No idea if there is a connection between the two, but almost seems likely since our cat vomits rarely. First few times were mucus and now a large amount of food. Fed her around 8:30 this morning, hardly anything since. We've had the furnace company here several times over the past few days (here again now) so hopefully the problem will be resolved. We've kept the cat upstairs during the evening last night. Could the fumes be the problem and should I call the vet or just see how things go?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

I would be making a call to the vet to get some suggestions.

Oil fumes are heavier than air so much of those fumes would be more towards the ground level, which is unfortunately where kitty is.

I would keep her upstairs and bring in some fresh air but a call to the vet too.

XOXOXO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will call....I was going to but also wanted to post here. Sometimes this (successive vomiting does happen when she's working on a hairball. We've all been through that I suppose.... Thanks.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anytime :cool:

Could be just a hair ball and most probably is something non-sinister. You sound like me though and prefer to error on the side of caution. XOXOX

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL...called the vet and spoke to a tech. She will also review it with a doctor. Said if it was her cat she'd probably have it checked out for peace of mind. My gut feeling is ether hairball and coincidental timing with the furnace issues OR the heating oil fumes upset her system. Exposure to the basement fumes was fairly minimal. I want to see how she is once this furnace technician leaves. She won't come out from hiding until he's gone!

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be away so long. Yeah...all is well. Fumes even set off the smoke alarm a few times. Got it all straightened out. Cat is fine. New furnace is quiet - hopefully more efficient. Life is good ...even with a mask on in public. Thanks for asking!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries - I get it - it's been chaos I'm sure. I'm the same - utter chaos lol.

I am so relieved to hear this. Thanks for coming back and letting us know. XOXOXOX