Vomiting on Hills Cd/Stress

jaxthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

You've all been so helpful in the past, I thought I'd ask again. My cat was diagnosed with stress induced FLUTD this past summer. He's been on Hills C/D Stress food (chicken) every since. He gets dry in the morning and wet in the evening. I know I'm supposed to feed him all wet however wet has historically been challenging for him (loose stools and scooting) despite the fact that he loves it.

He's been on the food for about 6 months now but the past month there have been three separate instances where he literally regurgitates the can upon eating it. It's not even getting to be digested. The first time, I knew it was the can because he ate/threw up went over ate again and threw up again. I brought that pack back thinking it was a bad batch since this was the first can in the batch.  I always check the serial number now when purchasing to make sure it's from a different batch. Last night he had the same reaction to the can but this time it was halfway through the can pack so I know it's not the batch. I then gave him a can of the fish urinary from Hills and the same thing happened. He's able to eat the dry no problem although when it gets to the end of the bag he does the same thing.

Has anyone had this issue before? I can't figure it out since he's been on it for so long and doesn't eat anything else. Does anyone have any experience with any other brand's urinary food?

Thanks!

sphynxmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't believe I am reading this..
Last case of hills CD stress my cats vomited all over
Got a new case last week and all 4 cats sniffed and walked away- looked grey colored?
Thought it maybe froze during shipment..

Now two days ago, two new cases .. And only one cat will touch it.. This morning 3 out of 4 walked away..
Toby ate it this morning and within a half hour threw it up-
Called hills last month and of course they say nothing wrong with their product

I a, getting nervous just reading your cat is also throwing up the hills cd stress-
( my cat throwing it up is the healthy one not with crystals but likes the food )

Wonder how many of these barf issues are out there-
Have you called hills and got the same reply as me?d

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, my cat eats Hills C/D stew formula & has had no issues with vomiting. My dad's cat eats Hills C/D pate formula, both flavors, and has not had any vomiting issues. In the past, I had some regurgitation problems with my 1 cat because he ate too fast. He didn't eat too fast when he ate dry, but seemed to vacuum up any wet & then barf it up a few minutes later. He'd also try to re-eat it. GROSS!

Anyway, I got him a slow feed bowl. I used a regular bowl for dry, but the slow feed bowl for wet. Since then, he's never had any more issues. Now they all eat wet only. There could be some lot to lot changes in the formula. Perhaps read the ingredients from an old can if you still have to see if they changed for formula? If not, give the slow feed bowl a try. It's not a large investment if it ends up not helping. I got this one: 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaxthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have called Hill's. They said they had no issues that they knew of with their food and instead sent me coupons so I could buy more of the food.

The slow feed is a good idea but my guy isn't much of a hoover. I'll look into it.

jaxthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. He's vomiting the urinary Royal Canin too. Anyone have any tips? I know this cat needs wet food but he can't keep it down. Only the dry? Any help?

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he is sensitive to an ingredient that is common in both foods? Or if there is something unique about each one that he cannot tolerate? Can you feed him some other canned that does not contain so many questionable ingredients?

If he is having urinary issues, he needs wet. The moisture from the wet food is so important. Have you read catinfo.org? It goes into a lot of detail about cat diets and urinary problems.

jaxthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I think it is a sensitivity. The problem is the urinary foods typically contain very "safe" animal proteins such as chicken which could be what he's sensitive to. I've read that article but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and what food the ended up going with?

sphynxmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine refuse canned urinary food and barfs-

Funny thing is , his struvite crystals cleared gone without the CD food. he refused dry or vet RC , hills etc--
I tried all their cans from the vet and no go- for 10 days he ate his dry life's abundance and life's abundance basic instinct canned food-
His cystiocentisis recheck clear of crystals and blood- on the recheck vet suggested the hills c/d stew canned for maintenance- well, he does nothing but walk away or barf it now-

Lifs abundance got way to expensive foe shipping and not sold at others vet amymore..
I find now it is a Multi level marketing like amway-

I did research and found Dr Tim's Chase dog and cat food I get thru chewy.com
A vet formulated it and me answers emails ASAP or you can chat with him directly-

I searched for a low phosphorus dry matter food that had no recalls- dr Tim's Chase cat food is made at Ohio pet foods the same plant as life's abundance and Annamaet

The cats do not throw up Dr Tims Chase dry food and the phosphorus is lower to help with urninary health-
I emailed and there is hopefully a canned cat food line coming

I have 3 male cats- and all crystal clear on Dr Tims Chase cat food-
It is vet formulated and he feeds to his cats too-(his voice matches his videos) and he will answer all questions immediately
Will be getting the canned as soon as it hits the market

My dry food addicts are crystal clear on Dr Tims and no barfing and very very good urine volumes-
Sticking to what works-
I added a Drinkwell zen water fountain too but they don't use it

I added more raised water dishes amd change amd rinse out 2-3 times a day - works better than a fountain and easier to clean and more fresh always available-
Even with filters the fountains need complete cleaning every 3 days-

I am burnt out on prescription urinary foods and barfing

The only wet food he will eat without barfing is soulistic good karma chicken
Made by weruva for petco

I will be ordering weruva paw lickin chicken from chewy.com to my order of Dr Tim's -
Free shipping, and amazing amazing customer service-
If a product or food doesn't work out- call them- you will be amazed refunded immediately etc

***When I shop .. I. keep on my phone the cat info or Tanya's food chart to check phosphorus levels, fat , carbs

My bengal barfs everything ! Currently trying Halo sensitive turkey and no barfing and low phosphorus too

Bottom line for us : Bengal barfer - Halo sensitive turkey (sale and authorship discount)
Sphynx crystals clear - Dr Tims Chase ( frequent buyer program ) never recalled
Weruva paw licked chicken ( 26.99 case - various sizes avail)
Or. Petco Soulistic good Karma chicken - low phosphorus
Extra water bowls throughout changed several times a day

all at chewy.com Free shipping over $49 and usually here in 2-3 days - amazing customer service and easy to change autoship

jaxthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the information! I'll definitely look into Dr. Tims! Was getting nervous that non of the urinary wet foods were working for him. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

sphynxmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please check his Dr Tim's site for for email and phone number- I called and hits. Me all he dry matter numbers immediately and I cents wait for verge wet food

I like too it's never ban recalled ..
My sphynx who had struvite refuses c/d foods
He gashed on Dr Tim's Chase dry send really gas excellent pee volume and we. Priced his skin is softer too- even our dogs love Drvtims Kenesis and are super shiny black!

Ps- love your avatar kitty pic
Reminds me of My Macie spotted Bengal!

Keep us updated!

sphynxmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good cat food ingredient charts I shop with and call companies direct

Google cat food phosphorus levels and you will get two really good charts
On dry end wet food at catinfo and Tanya's comprehensive

Been instrumental in food searching

sphynxmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FYI - Halo spots stew HEARTY chicken dry is .57 phosphorus - lower than c/d
I called Halo while standing in Petco and she gave me the dry matter basis numbers for phosphorus of the canned food too!
Some are of the canned halo cat foods are low phosphorus too

Halo never recalled and Made in USA like Dr Tim's Food

My kitties like soulistic good Karma chicken and similar Weruva Paw lickin chicken though these two made in Thailand never recalled either

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is vomiting on both brands of cat food I would start asking what is wrong with his digestive system?

I have a cat who vomits no matter what food she is on. She has asthma which manifests as vomiting, but I also suspect she has something else like inflammatory bowel disease. Either way, the treatment is ultra low dose prednisolone. The vet tested her for heartworm disease as that can cause symptoms like hers. She was negative. She does not vomit as long as she gets her medication.

It is possible he picked up a bacteria infection from the first brand (or eating food scraps out of the sink) . Try a limited ingredient diet. If he does not improve you need to take him to the vet. Even if he improves, give him a few weeks and try the royal can in again.

If he can go a few weeks without vomiting but gets sick when switching back to the royal can in, then you know for certain it is a food intolerance.

My cats have not had any issues with either food. My vet gave me a bag of outdated food for free and I still didn't have any issues. Of course that was last year so you could have hit a contaminated batch.

People are forgetting that the level of methionine is important for maintaining urinary health. Too little methionine means your cats urinary ph will get too high (like 8.0 instead of 6.2). So you need a cat food high in methionine. Hills and royal canin are both designed to give your cat a urinary ph of 6.0 to 6.3. You will need to email companies for their methionine levels, as it varies tremendously.
Innova and Evo are higher in methionine than most companies. I have not checked Fromm but I've heard it is a decent food. Dr Tim's cat food is mostly fish based which may make it high in methionine. But I don't like feeding fish as it can contain ethoxyquin.

You want to look at three values when picking a food. Magnesium, phosphorus and methionine.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine refuse canned urinary food and barfs-

Funny thing is , his struvite crystals cleared gone without the CD food. he refused dry or vet RC , hills etc--
I tried all their cans from the vet and no go- for 10 days he ate his dry life's abundance and life's abundance basic instinct canned food-
His cystiocentisis recheck clear of crystals and blood- on the recheck vet suggested the hills c/d stew canned for maintenance- well, he does nothing but walk away or barf it now-

Lifs abundance got way to expensive foe shipping and not sold at others vet amymore..
I find now it is a Multi level marketing like amway-

I did research and found Dr Tim's Chase dog and cat food I get thru chewy.com
A vet formulated it and me answers emails ASAP or you can chat with him directly-

I searched for a low phosphorus dry matter food that had no recalls- dr Tim's Chase cat food is made at Ohio pet foods the same plant as life's abundance and Annamaet

The cats do not throw up Dr Tims Chase dry food and the phosphorus is lower to help with urninary health-
I emailed and there is hopefully a canned cat food line coming

I have 3 male cats- and all crystal clear on Dr Tims Chase cat food-
It is vet formulated and he feeds to his cats too-(his voice matches his videos) and he will answer all questions immediately
Will be getting the canned as soon as it hits the market

My dry food addicts are crystal clear on Dr Tims and no barfing and very very good urine volumes-
Sticking to what works-
I added a Drinkwell zen water fountain too but they don't use it

I added more raised water dishes amd change amd rinse out 2-3 times a day - works better than a fountain and easier to clean and more fresh always available-
Even with filters the fountains need complete cleaning every 3 days-

I am burnt out on prescription urinary foods and barfing

The only wet food he will eat without barfing is soulistic good karma chicken
Made by weruva for petco

I will be ordering weruva paw lickin chicken from chewy.com to my order of Dr Tim's -
Free shipping, and amazing amazing customer service-
If a product or food doesn't work out- call them- you will be amazed refunded immediately etc

***When I shop .. I. keep on my phone the cat info or Tanya's food chart to check phosphorus levels, fat , carbs

My bengal barfs everything ! Currently trying Halo sensitive turkey and no barfing and low phosphorus too

Bottom line for us : Bengal barfer - Halo sensitive turkey (sale and authorship discount)
Sphynx crystals clear - Dr Tims Chase ( frequent buyer program ) never recalled
Weruva paw licked chicken ( 26.99 case - various sizes avail)
Or. Petco Soulistic good Karma chicken - low phosphorus
Extra water bowls throughout changed several times a day

all at chewy.com Free shipping over $49 and usually here in 2-3 days - amazing customer service and easy to change autoship
I think I read your review on Chewy.Com  . It was very helpful ..  I just got a sample of  Dr. Tim's Chase and my cats went crazy for it . Then they were looking for more . I have been looking for a new dry food for them and I am glad they like the Dr. Tim's . It is good food . I ordered a bag today .. My cats refuse to eat wet food . I have tried it all . Well they will eat FF but it makes them vomit now for some reason so I had to stop .. I also love Chewy.Com 

jaxthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I  have found that my cat can eat the Royal Canin pate food and not get sick. I add water to it and he seems to be fine keeping it down. I wonder if something in the gravy bothers him. 

Thanks for the information about the other food brands and the IBD. I know my poor guy has a sensitive digestive system. When I brought him home from the shelter he was put on "Duck and Pea"  which seemed to help until he had his first urinary episode. I haven't noticed any loose stool but I will bring IBD up to my vet the next time I go. (We are frequent fliers because I keep a watchful eye on my guy!)

For now, I think I will stick the Royal Canin as I'm hesitant to switch him again.  If any other issues spring up though, I will definitely look into the brands suggested here. 

Thanks again everyone for the help! 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks everyone. I  have found that my cat can eat the Royal Canin pate food and not get sick. I add water to it and he seems to be fine keeping it down. I wonder if something in the gravy bothers him. 

Thanks for the information about the other food brands and the IBD. I know my poor guy has a sensitive digestive system. When I brought him home from the shelter he was put on "Duck and Pea"  which seemed to help until he had his first urinary episode. I haven't noticed any loose stool but I will bring IBD up to my vet the next time I go. (We are frequent fliers because I keep a watchful eye on my guy!)

For now, I think I will stick the Royal Canin as I'm hesitant to switch him again.  If any other issues spring up though, I will definitely look into the brands suggested here. 

Thanks again everyone for the help! 
Awesome , I am glad you found something that agrees with him .

sphynxmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice- and please remember if you feed dr Tim's you can go to the dr Tim's Facebook page for ask the vet Thursday- I don't do Facebook and have emailed a question and got an immediately reply.

Thanks for all your input and help-
Keep me posted :)

sphynxmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Going to try the new Dr Tim's Nimble cat food for my kitties- it comes in two flavors- they are refusing the newly ordered Hills C/D completely now- all walk away in disgust- hulls states they have no complaints and no ingredient changes-

Mine eat the dry Dr Tim's Chase cat food - they really like it amd the dogs are thriving on the dr Tim's pursuit dry food-

Can't wait to see if kitties are receptive to Nimble canned food - the numbers look good
Ordering on chewy

Last edited: