Vomiting, not eating.

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 17/18yo Boo has started vomiting again. It started Saturday morning and continued throughout the day. He had no interest in food, and didn’t drink anything that day, the vomiting subsided in the night and he started drinking water that night. Sunday, he puked once in the afternoon and hasn’t done since until I tried syringe feeding him and he vomited it up later on. As of today, he still has no desire to eat anything or drink.

Some symptoms I’ve seen.
Vomiting(now only puking when being feed), he hasn’t eaten since Friday. Saturday night was when he last drank water by himself. Very lethargic, and weak. He wobbles when he walks. Not grooming. I don’t think he’s gone to the bathroom this weekend but my mom swears she she saw him go yesterday. He’s hiding himself away. I spent that last half hour searching for him. Until he came out on his own where he proceeded to vomit the food I syringe fed him an hour earlier. When he vomits he makes this horrendous retching noise as he’s vomiting. Hid vomit is kind of mucusy looking.

I’m not sure if this is important but he has lost his voice but has regained it back but it sounds completely different. We think this could be contributed to all the vomiting he’s done.

He was diagnosed with kidney disease back in March so I’ve no idea if this could be the reason or not. I have called the vet, but I have to wait till tomorrow to take him in. His appointment would have in the afternoon but they said I could bring him in a 8 in the morning so they look over him through the day. Other than syringe feeding him food and water, hoping and failing that he doesn’t puke it up. I don’t know what else I can do. I’m scared that all my efforts would be in vain. That i’m failing him. I’m dreading that I might hear what the vet would say tomorrow being I should put him down.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Hopefully I am wrong, but this does sound as if the kidney disease is causing the symptoms you are seeing. You are doing the right thing to get him to the vet and I do recommend that you bring him in earlier for observation as they suggested. Given that this is already Monday, it might be a good idea to see if you could bring him in sooner as an emergency (any 18 year old cat who is not eating, drinking, or urinating is an emergency). They could at least monitor him, give subQ fluids and try to feed him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is serious and needs a vet's attention. Please call the vet and make an appointment. It could be his kidneys or it could be something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, We already have an appointment for tomorrow and I’ll be taking him in as soon as they open. For now I will continue to try and syringe him water

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if you are treating him in any way for the kidney disease that was diagnosed in March - or where his kidney values were at that time. But, hopefully sub-Q fluids might help get him back into a place where he can eat and not vomit - as well as some other options for treating kidney disease - depending on the stage of progression. Many cats need anti-nausea meds, among other treatments to help offset the effects of kidney disease.

Have you looked at this site? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org). It is A LOT of data to take in and absorb, but it is well worth spending some time to read through it (tbh, multiple times, if you are like me).

Please keep us posted.

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back in March when we caught it he was in the early stages of kidney disease. He was not given a special diet because it was early still. I feed him hill’s science diet tender tuna dinner for adul 7+ as a soft food.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This also may be constipation, if he hasn't passed stool in the past few days, so make sure to ask the vet to check him for that as well when he goes in.

Be very careful syringe feeding, and perhaps try doing only a teaspoon at a time and give an hour between each. This may help his belly settle. If he is constipated though, its likely his body will reject the input of more food regardless.

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I drop him off in the morning, I’ll let them now. I’m using a 5ml syringe to feed and give him water which has a teaspoon measurement on it. I just gave him half a syringe about 15 minutes ago and I do wait an hour before trying again. Thank you for the advice!