Vomiting - CET toothpaste allergy/reaction?

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow... Wondering if anyone else has possibly had this experience.

After Chilli’s recent dental cleaning, my vet said I need to start brushing the cats’ teeth every day. I’ve done it a few times this week with the CET Poultry flavor toothpaste. I tried to just use a little but I’m sure the cats ingested some. Chilli has been fine, but Clove has been vomiting. I thought it was just a hairball or something at first, but now I’m wondering if the toothpaste is causing it... I brushed her teeth on Wednesday morning; she vomited a short while later and then a few times later that day. I was a little concerned but she was acting totally normal otherwise. Didn’t brush on Thursday... no vomit, unless I’m remembering wrong. Brushed again on Friday morning/today... she vomited bile a short while later, several times throughout the day while I was at work, and eventually white foam tonight... poor thing had an empty stomach... but thankfully she ate lots of food eagerly after that, and has kept it down so far. I did notice she had been a little extra twitchy/itchy lately too, but maybe that’s a coincidence.

I was very worried about the repeated vomiting tonight and wondering if I needed to take her to the emergency vet, but it’s hard to justify that expense when she’s acting totally normal otherwise. When I take her tomorrow I think I’ll ask them to do an x ray just in case... worried about obstruction, constipation, foreign object, hairball... we’ll see. Poor girl vomited so much that her meow is all scratchy now. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no has responded to your post yet (sometimes when I do this, some responses start coming in - :dunno:;)). I have read other posts on here that talks about water and a toothbrush being just as effective as using actual toothpaste - but, I don't recall seeing any regarding your issue.

Surely, no need to aggravate the situation with Clove for now by using any toothpaste - maybe not even brushing her teeth at this point. And, you know her better than anyone here, so probably a good idea to rule out other possible reasons with the vet visit.

Please let us know what you find out!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try a different brand of toothpaste in case it is a reaction to the CET. One of my cats can't use the seafood flavored CET toothpaste because it gives him random bald spots on his head. Vomiting is a bit more of a concern than bald spots so a vet visit is definitely a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I definitely will be taking a break from the teeth brushing until she’s all better!

It’s Saturday morning here and she’s doing good right now. She hasn’t vomited again since I posted (last time was late Friday night), was very hungry and ate a huge dinner and a huge breakfast with no problems. She’s running around and playing like her usual wild self right now. She also has peed normally. I still haven’t seen her poop, so I guess constipation is still a concern, but I’m hoping that her good appetite and lack of recent vomiting means it’s not any kind of serious obstruction. Haven’t seen her straining or crying in the litter box either.

I’m watching her for now, but may still take her to the vet later this afternoon just to make sure, especially if she vomits again.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been told that even the mechanical motion of the brush is better than nothing.

Try brushing without toothpaste and see if it makes a difference.

If it does then you know the toothpaste is the culprit.