Vomiting Cat!

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, so my 1yr old tabby (neutered male) just started vomiting today—mostly indigested dry food mixed with partially digested food and then some watery bits. So far he’s vomited 4 times, once possibly earlier in the day because it was all dried when I found it, 2nd and 3rd times 3hrs apart and then again about an hour later.

He’s had diarrhea or looser stools for 2 days, no blood or worms that I can see in either. He occasionally has little sneezes maybe once every couple of days. He was normal and playful this morning and yesterday, running all around the house fine.

But now he seems to be keeping to himself a bit since the vomiting started, still will drink water and tried to nibble from food bowl.

I’ve talked to my vet on the phone and have an appointment to bring him in after work around 5:30pm tomorrow. He’s said to withhold food for about 8hrs and then start w chicken and rice tomorrow—is his just cooked plain rice? Or like a rice and chicken soup?

I’m just neurotic and need some reassurance, but obviously if he keeps gagging or vomiting through the night it means to emergency right? But if he’s just sitting fine it’s ok to wait until my appointment tomorrow evening? Sorry if this is advice that can’t be given!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry your boy isn't feeling well. How's he doing this morning?

About the rice and chicken, I think it would be plain unseasoned for both the rice and chicken. But maybe check with your vet to confirm.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to check with your vet.

My cat I had to do this for does not like broth. I cooked a boneless chicken breast plain in a skillet. I cooked plain white rice according to the package directions but did not add any salt to it. I mixed the rice and cooked chicken together with a small amount of water. I used a food processor to cut the chicken into tiny pieces. I used this plan to re-start my cat's appetite after she was treated with Nausea med's for the kitty equivalent to human stomach flu.

I would do a few smaller meals throughout the day if this stays down. If the chicken and rice does not stay down then I would definitely go to the vet tomorrow. If the vomiting does not stop your baby may need a nausea injection. Make sure you let your vet know right away if she not able to keep this down. Your vet may not want to wait until 5:30 pm to see her if she does not keep down the chicken/rice.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitty did OK through the night and you are going to the vet this afternoon. It sounds like he has an infectious gastroenteritis. I’m glad he’s drinking water, that’s what he needs the most right now. He may need some anti-nausea medicine to help him keep food down.

Good luck and please keep us updated on what happens, we care.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! Stomach bugs are no fun for anyone. :(

Keep us updated about how it goes at the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the input! He is stable but pretty much unchanged, he didn't have anymore vomiting overnight but also didn't really eat much. I got him to eat one of those Sheba broths packets as a treat and he kept that down. He otherwise was moving fine, just seems more down and scared, still cuddled next to me most of last night.

I heard him drink a bit of water overnight too but when I popped home to check on him during my lunch today he still hasn't pooped or peed at all. I offered him some handfuls of kibble and even some of his favorite wet food, he took a few nibbles and licks but later threw it back up. Again, watery with some undigested kibble.

Taking him in to the vet after work, unfortunately I couldn't get off early or anything on such short notice. I'm hoping it's something simple-- I'm a little traumatized because the same thing happened for my older cat in January/February this year, where he was having diarrhea and loss of appetite and it ended up being a large abdominal tumor. I've only had this cat for about 3 months but already attached! =( I'm hoping such a young cat won't have anything too serious.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, employers don't think pets are worth taking off work for. Personal days and leave days are for human family members. But getting in today at 5:30 is not too bad for this sick kitty. A few hours late will not kill him.

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just came back from the vet; he doesn’t think it’s anything as serious as a tumor since he’s a young cat. Got a dose of Pepcid and I think antibiotics, but he spoke so fast I wasn’t sure. He said antibiotics at first, but then told me it was something for vomiting so I’m not sure if it was just zofran or something.

I’m supposed to keep him NPO overnight and then try tablespoons of wet food the vet gave me in the morning. If he’s still vomiting then I’ll have to take him back for x-ray and labs.

Cat actually just crawled onto my lap to sleep, which I’m happy about but also worried. The last time my previous cat (who never was a lap cat) crawled into my lap he died a month later Fingers crosses my cat feels better soon.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What is NPO?

If you don't understand a vet who talks fast, ask him to repeat it slower.

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whoops! Sorry, NPO means no food no water, but I’m actually leaving some water out for the cat. I’ll try some wet food in about 8hrs.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The letters should be WFOW then.

Water is OK for humans, so why not cats?

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my cat is actually very clingy right now, which I guess can mean anything. Just lazing in my lap and following me everywhere if I get up. He is batting and chewing at my phone charger cord too, so I guess it’s a good sign he’s still a bit playful?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who was more affectionate near the end of her life but she had CRF and it caused a body temperature drop.

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it’s just not meant to be if it’s something terminal for this kitty...I’ve only had him for 3 months! Hes so young! But I guess anything can happen. My last cat, which was about 9-10yrs old, also finally chose to crawl into our laps during his final months too.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course you should not worry about the end coming yet because this is a fixable problem until the vet says otherwise.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope you and your boy had a good night. Hoping for a good update this morning. :crossfingers:

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not so great news, still vomiting this morning and now he actually hid into his carrier (which he hates and runs from). Will be taking him back to the vet after work again today! Thankfully my roommate will be home to kind of watch him while I’m at work today.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
M Mimitran So sorry your cat is still vomiting! It’s so frustrating when you can’t figure out what’s wrong with them. Sending you comforting hugs. Thank you for keeping us updated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor baby. Sending healing vibes that he feels better soon. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: