Vomiting And Diarrhea On Raw

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. Smokey's not feeling well again and I could really use some advice. In September I switched Smokey to Smallbatch raw frozen chicken. She was on 100% raw for a bit, switched back to 50% canned + 50% raw for a month (she had started to strain a little on Smallbatch - it looks pretty bone heavy), and then I transitioned her from canned to 50% Vital Essentials frozen. She's been on Smallbatch chicken (breakfast) and Vital Essentials duck (dinner) for two weeks now. She also gets probiotics and a couple pieces Orijen kibble during our training sessions.

Smokey had been doing completely fine on the Smallbatch/Vital Essentials diet with no straining in the litter box either! However, Thursday she went to the litter box and had a normal bowel movement, then 4 hours after having her dinner of Vital Essentials duck, she had mucousy, bloody diarrhea. Five minutes later she threw up more vomit than I have ever seen - it was very watery, undigested food.

Twice more she had a bit of diarrhea that night, but no mucous or bloody. Friday she had only Smallbatch and was completely fine (no bowel movement). Saturday morning she had Smallbatch and had a normal bowel movement. She got Smallbatch again in the evening and threw it all up within an hour of eating. She didn't even eat it very fast!

I don't know what's going on or what to do. Is it a minor bug that she's dealing with? Could it be something in the food - if so, why is she only getting sick at night? I always let her food thaw in the fridge. Do I put her back on 50% canned? She had a vet checkup last month (with blood and urine) and her vitals were all completely fine. I just feel like no matter what I do or what food I put her on, I'm constantly moving one step forward, two steps back :bawling2:.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know the answer but I just wanted to say I feel your pain as I’m having similar problems (although not as extreme) with my kitten. :alright:

I hope somebody who can help will reply.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any chance that something is wrong with that particular bag of the smallbatch? For example, did you just start a new bag? Or maybe the bag got left out somehow? Cats are usually good about not eating things that have gone bad, but it's still possible.

Maybe let her stomach settle for a day or two with plain boiled chicken and then try going back to the original food. If she starts having symptoms again, then you know the food is the culprit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its possible - she was at the bottom of the bag for both Smallbatch and Vital essentials. She threw up on the vital essentials and then this morning, threw up Smallbatch. I'll see if she'll eat boiled chicken, if not put her on the canned for a few days.

Do you think I should continue with the probiotics while I try boiled chicken? Or maybe hold off on that too?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Zeke has an occasional (once or twice a year) bout of vomiting and diarrhea which is jot explained by vet visits.
I've found that giving him Proviable Forte, a combo of an anti-diarrhea paste and probiotics to be very helpful.
In fact I keep some on hand to begin treatment at the first sign of vomiting and diarrhea.
It's prescription by veterinarians, it's not real cheap, but it does the trick.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Probiotics can't hurt, and they'll probably help. So go for it! Hope she feels better soon!

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much do you give of the Proviable Forte and is it something to take with food?

I hope she feels better too! It was so hard to find canned food she could do well on - I was hoping raw would be easier, but cats will be cats.

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smokey refused the boiled chicken, so I did put her back on the canned food. She two cans yesterday, but then sometime in the middle of the night threw up half of the evening's, undigested food.