Vomiting and Confusing Blood Lab Results

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've already been to the vet (earlier today), so this is me consumed by anxiety and trying to figure out what is happening while I wait two days for further info. I knew one of the cats was vomiting in the middle of the night, about once every week or two. Basically sludge...some bits of food but mostly mucousy liquid in whatever color the food was. Over the last several days it suddenly became more frequent...like every day or two. I finally figured out it's my big older boy (12.5 years) because I saw him do it. This morning he only picked at breakfast. This afternoon I felt bad he didn't eat much so gave him a high end (Fussie Cat) squeeze treat. He ate it happily...and then an hour or two later he vomited it up. I called the vet right away and got him in.

He has NO fever. Drinking normally, peeing and pooping normally. However, he has lost more weight than I thought, which is to say I recently noticed he was losing weight but apparently he was losing weight over a longer period of time that I didn't notice until maybe a month ago. I feel terrible for not noticing the weight loss sooner, but he is extremely floofy, and he's not necessarily underweight, just not slightly overweight anymore.

The blood work is the strangest. His basic tests (glucose, kidney functions, thyroid functions, etc.) are all actually excellent for his age per the vet. But his WBC (white blood cells) is WAY off the charts high, as in 39.14 when the high end of normal is 17.02. Neutrophils are way high at 34.19 (high normal is 10.29). Monocytes are high at 1.11 (high normal is 0.67). But Eosinophils are way LOW at 0.01 (low normal is 0.17).

For now vet gave him Convenia in case he has a hidden infection, and they will be in touch in two days to see if he's improved. I mean, I get that these numbers mean inflammation, but that is SO vague...vet says anything from irritable bowel disease to cancer. If he's not improved in two days the vet is suggesting Prednisolone to get rid of whatever it is that may be inflamed. He also said the way to know for sure is a biopsy of his bowel.

Has anyone had experience with labs like these? And while I get that the presumption is digestive problems since he's throwing up, but if it is cancer, couldn't the throwing up be almost any kind of cancer (liver, lymph, stomach), not just bowel? So how to choose what part to biopsy? And isn't there some other diagnostic tool in between blood tests and surgery???

Gahhhh. Any ideas would be appreciated.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only other tests I can think of is urinalysis, ultra sound and possibly x-ray. I think the treatment so far is fair, if it is just an infection and clears up with the Convenia then great. You may also want to ask for an anti nausea shot or appetite stimulant to get him eating again as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, sounds good, I will mention that to his doc. I've had cats with just about every medical problem before, but believe it or not, I haven't had one that couldn't keep food down before, so I am just really lost on this. Thanks much for the reply!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Quincy: We went to the vet again first thing the next morning (without an appointment) because he completely stopped eating and drinking that evening. They gave him a dexamethasone injection and a Cerenia injection, and scheduled his ultrasound for Thursday. A few hours later he was back to eating like a champ.

The ultrasound results were mild pancreatitis and IBD. No gallbladder involvement. Some inflamed lymph nodes, which they aspirated and sent the aspirate out to the lab. Lab results were "most consistent with" (which is as close as they get to saying for sure) mild pancreatitis and IBD, and NOT lymphoma. WHEW.

Friday or Saturday the dexamethasone pooped out, so I started him on Prednisolone, and his tummy has been PERFECT ever since. Woot!!!

However, now he's either caught a cold or is having a herpes flare from stress and/or pred, and he's got nasal congestion and sneezing. It's not stopping him from eating, so vet says ride it out since it's almost guaranteed to be viral. I talk to the vet again on 9/10 to give him an update on the tummy troubles, and find out what dose to drop the pred to. Goal is to find the lowest dose that keeps him feeling good.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad you found some answers and he's on the road to recovery. And thank you for updating, I was wondering how Quincy was going.

As far as the herpes flare, if you do have any other cats in the household just be aware the sudden trigger likely means he will also be shedding the virus, so keeping the litter box and shared spaces clean and no sharing food dishes is super important during this time so they don't contract it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and would love to keep hearing updates!