Vomiting after enema

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echo (16F) was back at the vet today for yet another bout of constipation. Even though she is on Miralax and cisapride, when she gets in to her brother’s hard food, she gets constipated. The vet gave her one enema that got out a large plug and then gave her a second one that got a lot more out but didn’t clear her out completely (this seems to be very common for her). Ver also gave her sub-Q fluids. When I brought her home, she drank some water almost immediately and then about 15 min later she threw it all up. I noticed they didn’t give her a Cerenia injection like they normally do when she gets enemas. Would you consider this normal after she an enema, especially since she didn’t get any anti-nausea meds? Of course since I picked her up at the end of the day, the vet is closed so I can’t call and ask them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry no one has responded to your thread yet. So, they normally give Echo a Cerenia injection when she goes in for an enema? If they didn't this time, it could be the reason why she threw up. It might not be the enema by itself that causes her to get sick - it could the trauma of the vet visit and having to stay at the vet's for her sub-Q fluids too. The whole experience could just upset her enough to give her a stomach ache and the Cerenia quells that for her.

Hopefully she will settle down and you will soon see her eating/drinking again without any issue!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry no one has responded to your thread yet. So, they normally give Echo a Cerenia injection when she goes in for an enema? If they didn't this time, it could be the reason why she threw up. It might not be the enema by itself that causes her to get sick - it could the trauma of the vet visit and having to stay at the vet's for her sub-Q fluids too. The whole experience could just upset her enough to give her a stomach ache and the Cerenia quells that for her.

Hopefully she will settle down and you will soon see her eating/drinking again without any issue!
This is the first time they didn’t give her Cerenia after an enema. She stopped vomiting last night and was able to sleep pretty soundly at times but wouldn’t eat. Brought her back to the vet this morning for Cerenia and more fluids and the vet said she has perked up a lot. Hoping that does the trick!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echo spent the day at the vet. She got fluids, a Cerenia injection, and another enema. She definitely seems like she is feeling better and is more herself. She ate 3/4 of a can of food at the vet but has not eaten since coming home, which isn’t completely unusual for her after the vet but I will still feel better once I see her eat.