Vomiting after eating

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our cats has started vomiting after eating and we're not 100% sure who it is, but we think it's our 1 year old April. We've had her for almost 2 months now and this has only just started over the past few days.

So since the day we adopted her, she's never chewed her dry food. I did google this at first and read that it was generally fine if she seems fine, so I never worried about that until now. She definitely eats fast, but she doesn't always eat all of her food in one go and sometimes paces herself so I don't think she's necessarily overeating.

It started about 2 days ago. We woke up and I discovered some dried vomit on the carpet, yellow in colour and it had bits of wet food in it which I found odd. We feed each cat 1/4 dry food in the morning, then 1/4 wet food in the afternoon and then 1/4 dry food at bed time (please tell me if this is too much/little!!) so I was curious why there was only wet food evident in this vomit that must've happened after their bed time meal. Then today, I woke up and there were no signs of vomit. I fed them as usual, and between the time of feeding and me going about the rest of my morning routine (probably no more than 30 minutes in between) I found fresh vomit on the floor. It looked the exact same, yellow in colour, but it had undigested dry food in it this time. I think it was our 1 year old April simply because our younger cat Annie was in the middle of eating her food when I discovered the vomit and April was hiding behind the couch (which she doesn't do often, but it's not like she'd be scared of us because we have never scolded the cats for this and only comforted them). The only times we've known of Annie vomiting (before we adopted April) was when she ate something she shouldn't have and threw it back up, so it was never actual vomit (she hasn't done this in a long time though, thankfully) and Annie definitely chews her food and takes her time with it.

So, my initial thought was to maybe buy one of those puzzle/slow feeders for April, but I wanted to ask for advice here first. Are they worth it? Should I buy one for both cats even though Annie doesn't need one? I only ask that because they have a habit of switching between bowls sometimes and it's difficult to stop them from doing this. Do they work well for wet food as well? Or are we maybe feeding them too much? Nothing diet-wise has changed for either of them so I'm not sure why this is happening other than maybe her eating too fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
A slow feeder (there are some for wet food) might be helpful in any case, but I'm concerned that the vomit was both types of food so I'm not sure it's food related.

In any case this may help;
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
She seems fine in herself, no lethargy and still drinking and everything normally so that's another reason why I thought it might be the food. I also did a bit of searching about different types of vomit and apparently yellow with food in it indicates that it's food related, but that's why I wanted to ask here for a better explanation as I didn't want to take my google searches as the only truth.

Thank you for the response, I might look into buying a slow feeder for both cats as a precaution anyway and maybe reduce the amount of dry food. I'll look into taking her to the vet if it carries on.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could also start weighing them, the article mentions this too, maybe once or twice a month so that you have an eye on how they're doing in that regard :)

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also start weighing them, the article mentions this too, maybe once or twice a month so that you have an eye on how they're doing in that regard :)
We recently took April to the vet for a wellness check and vaccine we didn't know she hadn't had and she was 10.2lbs so I have noted that down. I do need to weigh our other cat though as it's been a while! Thank you :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat teeth aren't designed for chewing :) They're designed to tear meat off bones and crunch bones. With dry food, cats just crunch the kibble pieces once or twice and then swallow the smaller pieces whole.

Instead of buying a slow feeder, you can put two or three clean golf balls or ping pong balls in the bowl. The cats would have to work around the balls to get to the food.

We feed each cat 1/4 dry food in the morning, then 1/4 wet food in the afternoon and then 1/4 dry food at bed time (please tell me if this is too much/little!!)
What brand of dry and canned do you feed? How much does each cat weigh? Most people feed enough calories for the cat's body weight instead of by food amount.

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat teeth aren't designed for chewing :) They're designed to tear meat off bones and crunch bones. With dry food, cats just crunch the kibble pieces once or twice and then swallow the smaller pieces whole.

Instead of buying a slow feeder, you can put two or three clean golf balls or ping pong balls in the bowl. The cats would have to work around the balls to get to the food.

What brand of dry and canned do you feed? How much does each cat weigh? Most people feed enough calories for the cat's body weight instead of by food amount.
Oh this is handy advice! I not long ordered a set of 2 but they won't be here for a few days so I'll try this method in the meantime. I'll just need to find all of the hidden ping pong balls we gave them to play with and clean them :lol:

Yeah, I always struggle trying to figure out the amount based on their weight and calories. We know April's weight from the recent vet visit but weighing them at home can be a pain so it's been a while since I've weighed Annie.

1) We're currently feeding them both Purina One Kitten Dry food, and Purina friskies pate wet food.
2) April is 10.2lbs, Annie unknown but likely around the same weight even though she's a bit smaller and younger, she feels quite heavy when we pick her up but doesn't necessarily look overweight in my opinion.

I hope the fact we're feeding an adult cat kitten food isn't a problem. When we adopted her, we were told she was 10 months old but when we took her to the vet, they told us she was over a year old. She'd already been on kitten food when we adopted her until the vet visit and because they like to share bowls, we decided to keep her on it for a few more months until Annie is an adult in August and then move them both onto adult dry food, but the wet food is adult.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think as long as it's labeled for All Life Stages, you should have all your bases covered :) but it's probably not worth changing now.