Vomit 😟

CameronJay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the second time she’s vomited since I adopted her, the first time I don’t really count because I just think she ate really fast because she threw up undigested food, and then last night... it was stringing almost felt like mucousy i don’t know. Her nose is wet a friend of mine told me that’s a good sign.
EBDE0EA4-084B-41C6-A647-4A2C1741F8E1.jpeg

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the second time she’s vomited since I adopted her, the first time I don’t really count because I just think she ate really fast because she threw up undigested food, and then last night... it was stringing almost felt like mucousy i don’t know. Her nose is wet a friend of mine told me that’s a good sign.
Did this appear during the night, hours after her last meal? Sometimes cats vomit small amounts, similar to this, when they're hungry. One of our cats does that: it's usually clear (often called "egg white" vomit) but occasionally yellowish, like what your cat vomited. Here's an article about it that I particularly like: we do just about all these things and they help keep the vomiting to a minimum! We just recently bought an autofeeder, which I set to give her a few treats at around 5 a.m. That holds her over nicely until breakfast.

And yes, regurgitating undigested food is most likely from eating too fast. Our cat does that, too! In fact she did it just this morning. Sometimes it's just from eating too fast, other times it's because she's worked up about something: we try not to feed her when she's wound up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you have had her for a while, 2 times vomiting isn't probably an issue. And, that pic you shared almost looks like there is a hairball in there. I think first working on giving her something for hairballs, as mentioned above is a good place to start. The article above also has some good information in it as well.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. If you have had her for a while, 2 times vomiting isn't probably an issue. And, that pic you shared almost looks like there is a hairball in there. I think first working on giving her something for hairballs, as mentioned above is a good place to start. The article above also has some good information in it as well.
These are all good points!

One odd and important thing to keep in mind, though, is that sometimes vomit may contain a small amount of fur (either just a little hair or a small lump) but it's just incidental, by which I mean it just happened to be there but wasn't the cause of the vomit. Edwina's non-hunger vomit has sometimes contained small quantities of fur (sometimes "loose," sometimes in small clumps), leading me to suspect she was having trouble passing fur but (the long-story-short version!) her problem turned out to be ingredients (agar-agar and green-lipped mussels) in some new foods rather than a surplus of fur in her gut. Now that agar-agar and green-lipped mussels have been out of her diet for over a month, she only has trouble with occasional hunger and scarf-and-barf vomiting, which have totally different causes and create very different-looking barf. I never thought I'd know so much about cat vomit.

I guess what I'm saying is that it can take a fair bit of trial and error to figure out what's making a cat barf... and then to stop it. It took us a few months of working through various theories (mine and the vet's!) and then my earliest theory, the one I thought the least likely (the agar-agar and, more importantly, the mussels), turned out to be correct. To make things even more complicated, there are various kinds of vomit: from hunger, from eating too fast, from nerves, from food sensitivities, and sometimes more than one factor is at work. Every cat is different, but that seems like it may be the case with the OP's cat, too, given the varying descriptions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CameronJay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so so much, I hope I didn’t gross anybody out from the picture I was just worried. I leave a bit of dry food for her overnight. I’ll monitor and Look into every advice I’ve got, and look at that site ❤❤❤

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so so much, I hope I didn’t gross anybody out from the picture I was just worried. I leave a bit of dry food for her overnight. I’ll monitor and Look into every advice I’ve got, and look at that site ❤❤❤
No, that's not gross at all. (There are lots of poop pictures on the site!)

One other thing I should have mentioned: keeping an incident log (dates and times, what happened, what the last meal was, etc.) really helped me establish patterns and figure out what was causing her barfs.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CameronJay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, that's not gross at all. (There are lots of poop pictures on the site!)

One other thing I should have mentioned: keeping an incident log (dates and times, what happened, what the last meal was, etc.) really helped me establish patterns and figure out what was causing her barfs.

Good luck!
That is so funny! that’s a great idea thanks 😊