Vivienne The Adventurous

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So interesting turn of events.
The young cat that I have taken on, bringing her from another continent, with the ultimate purpose of breeding her to improve and continue on good genes for her breed, seems to be pregnant already.

She’s 9 months right now and if dates are correct she will have the litter mid-January and would be 10 month by then. This wasn’t planned - there is only 1 possible male and it was thought he was sterile or uninterested as he’s not impregnated the 3 girls he has access to. But it’s not a bad match and so onward we go.

This is my first go around. I’ve been around breeders for years and know a decent amount and then this happens when I thought I would have another 6-8 months to sort everything out and I’m befuddled.

I read one thing and it says I should be able to feel kittens moving by now. Heck I can’t even feel bumps that could be kittens. And then another thing says I shouldn’t be able to feel kittens yet. So now I’m obsessing over whether this is a false pregnancy or if I should believe 1 source or the other more.

I’ve spent the last 2 weeks ordering supplies and getting things ready for a litter that may be here in 2 weeks. Or later. Or earlier. That’s the problem when no one was paying attention. And it happened before she came to me so..... AUGH!!!

Anyway - if you have comments feel free. I’d like to hear others views on this and their experiences as well.

Oh - and assuming she is pregnant, should I be giving her whatever she wants to eat or actually measuring it out. Giving her a good kitten food as well as canned adult food. Since she’s still sort of a kitten I wasn’t sure how much she may be needing or wanting. And because the other cats are food seeking missiles I can really free feed if I don’t want everyone (including the boys) to look like they’re pregnant.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As you plan on becoming a serious breeder, numro 1 is to cooperate with a good vet. This vet will help you know if its real or false pregnancy.

I will write more tomorrow from a computer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are correct and the appointment is for next week when they assume we will be able to tell from an xray. No vet in my area is willing to palpate in case they injure a kitten in utero. So unless I wish to pay $260 for an ultrasound it's wait for an xray. And waiting will not change anything - either she is or isn't pregnant - I'm just a nervous Nellie right now.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you share a picture of her? When do you think she mated? Do her nipples look large and dark?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So interesting turn of events.
The young cat that I have taken on, bringing her from another continent, with the ultimate purpose of breeding her to improve and continue on good genes for her breed, seems to be pregnant already.

She’s 9 months right now and if dates are correct she will have the litter mid-January and would be 10 month by then. This wasn’t planned - there is only 1 possible male and it was thought he was sterile or uninterested as he’s not impregnated the 3 girls he has access to. But it’s not a bad match and so onward we go.

How is it, is the male of the same breed? So the kittens will be purebreed, although unplanned? If so, can you get the seller to confirm the father, so you can register the litter, and get out their pedigree certificate?

Otherwise its an interesting legal situation. You got "damaged wares" as she was already used although supposed to be brand new. So to speak!
BUT - if its the same breed - you got more than you payed for... As, if she remains healthy and God so want, you can still continue with your breeding programme...

Re the vets...
Its funny. I havent heard the palpitation will hurt the kittens. Its seldom THAT sturdy palpitation! With an experienced vet, the owner and the cat dont even notice the cat is examined...
Also, in this here case they dont need to go into the minute details on exactly how many there are, its enough they can confirm: is she preg or not...

Re the costs: usually its the X-rays which does cost. Ultrasound is usually the cheaper alternative... I suppose they are hiring the machinery, and that is why they need to demand such a hilarious payment for even basic service.

So your chase after a good vet should continue. If you cant find one whom is used to work with breeders and purebreds, and knows how to palpitate even a healthy cat, try to find one whom works much with rescue groups and shelter cats.

These vets perhaps dont know much about some rare diseases and hereditary problems, but they do have a great lotsa of experience in practical surgery and practical obstetrics...

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nipples are large - was my first hint that anything was going on. They’re pinker than the rest of her skin but she has a white belly and everyone says where it would be first pregnancy and she’s white then may not be as pink as I’m imagining they should be.

The male is the same breed. Everything with his owner is worked out and she was very forthcoming. I have everything I need from her to register the litter when it happens.

5 vets at 5 practices won’t palpate locally. Same answers for ultrasound and X-ray costs at all them as well. And the vet I’m dealing with is “the” one to go to for breeders and I’ve used them before for regular care so I do trust them.

I have a friend who is a vet locally as well and she has guided me in timelines and costs ansnwhinshe would choose if she was in the situation. Exactly as I’ve decided on and found with regards to prices. An ultrasound is $200+ and an X-ray is $45 - just can do the ultrasound earlier, that’s all.

Here is the only pic I have - on the way to work so can post better tonight. I know this isn’t great. And it is a week old so now she’s very much more football-shaped I have a video that shows better but I can’t figure out if that will work here - it won’t let me attach it.
5D4A6C69-0408-4AE6-97EB-CB72F184F92E.jpeg

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Turkish angora. Came from a tropical location so had no real coat. With -20C she’s doing much better and is quite fluffy now.

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just had the X-ray. Absolutely not a false pregnancy. 6 maybe 7 kittens in there and the vet said by the amount of calification she will likely have them by this time next week.

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes all prepared. Have been ordering a lot and it’s all delivers before she delivers thankfully.

Turkish angoras don’t have large litters like this. Apparently no one told Vivi!!

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One day after MY estimate she has had kittens. I missed the entire thing as I left for an hour and came back to babies.

She was acting completely normal this morning. I was wondering if she would even give birth.

1 was misshapen and stillborn. 1 struggled and passed away and there are 4 little one nursing and squeaking and squirming around.

Attachments

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One baby (the smallest) isn’t getting enough milk. I think he’s just being pushed off the food line so I’m supplementing a bit with him.

Mama doesn’t seem to be eating enough. Nowhere near what she did when she was pregnant. Getting her some of her favorite snacks today to talk her into eating as she should.

If anyone has tips on whether this is an issue please let me know. She still is full of energy but if it could be an issue I will get her to the vet today.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama cats may not be hungry for a day or so after delivery if they ate all of the placentas. She should begin eating well again soon.

How much and how often are you supplementing the runt?

Do you have weights on the kittens? Weighing is the best way to know if they are getting enough.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can give momma some goats milk or kmr, her too. You can add some raw egg yolk if you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs in your place.

Warming the food somewhat, so it smells more, may perhaps be a trick too.
The probiotic Fortiflora is often used to better up the appetite.

Good you do supplement the kitten. Rotate them too, so she has quality time alone with mamma, while the others are sleeping midday nap.
One baby (the smallest) isn’t getting enough milk. I think he’s just being pushed off the food line so I’m supplementing a bit with him.

Mama doesn’t seem to be eating enough. Nowhere near what she did when she was pregnant. Getting her some of her favorite snacks today to talk her into eating as she should.

If anyone has tips on whether this is an issue please let me know. She still is full of energy but if it could be an issue I will get her to the vet today.

Kiminnb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are their weights. The column on the left is Wednesday night weights and then middle is Thursday morning and right is Thursday night.

I supplemented #1 twice yesterday - once he matches the KMR is gone very quickly. It’s not a latching issue. He held his weight overnight.

Vivi has absolutely no interest in goats milk but I gave her leftover KMR this morning and it was a huge treat for her.

She’s acting as well and normal as I could expect. She did eat all 6 placentas so maybe that’s where her fill came from.

Fortiflora is in my fridge. Since she has loose stool still I was going to add that tonight also. I’m at work for the next 6 hours or so but am checking in on nest-cam throughout the day.

Thanks for feedback!! I’m a nervous first time grandma!!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue supplementing the runt several times a day until his weight gains increase. Mom can have a small dish of KMR daily. She needs the calcium.