Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 lbs Viva Raw Pure
6 Pumps Sardine/Anchovy Oil
2 Scoops of Now Brand Kelp
2 Drops Now Vitamin E Oil 253 IU
2 tsp Nutrional Yeast (Any Brand, I chose Now)
1 ML Manganese
1/2 tsp Now Taurine or 2 Scoops of Alnutrin Taurine

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Are you asking for feedback/input, or is this a recipe that people can use?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I asked Chrissy66 Chrissy66 to post more about Viva Raw here in the Raw forum after she mentioned the brand in another post. This is the product web site: Viva Raw | Premium Raw Dog & Cat Food Delivered

It looks like a subscription-type delivery service. There are two options to choose from: the Complete diet that needs nothing else added and the Pure diet which does need supplements added. The Complete products do state "Formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for Adult Maintenance." so it's probably not ideal to feed to cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the Complete for Dogs, they said it isn't for Cats

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a shipment of Viva Raw food, because they had rabbit and the usual places I shop at (Hare Today, Raw Feeding Miami) have been persistently out of stock. In addition to the rabbit I got one each of pure chunked chicken, turkey and duck. No subscription required. Shipping is a flat $20 for 20-80 lbs, plus sales tax. (in contrast, HT has a higher, tiered shipping charge but doesn't charge sales tax outside of PA).

So far I've made the chicken and am very pleased with the quality (as are my cats). The packaging is also superior to HT's, because the product is in rectangular blocks that are easier to open and store much more efficiently than HT's rounded chubs. Unfortunately, their food is 10% bone and they don't sell boneless or a lower bone % product. So I also needed an HT order for boneless meats to mix in with these chubs.

Yes, you have to get the "Pure" products and add your own supplements. The "Complete" is only suitable for dogs. Wish cats weren't always an afterthought with these raw food purveyors!

Chrissy's recipe above contains all the right nutrients but the amounts are far too small. e.g. Taurine should be supplemented at about 500mg per pound. My recipe is:
1 2# Viva Raw chub with 10% bone
1 1# boneless meat chub from Hare Today
1/4 lb ground beef, chicken, or rabbit organs (i.e. 1# chub cut into quarters)
13g Alnutrin for Meat and Bone
1 cup water
3 Tbsp unscented salmon oil <== I use this much or more because I've found that it reduces matting in one of my cats

The end result has about 6-7% bone which is more appropriate for cats. You can use Lisa Pierson's recipe as a guide to nutrients, as that recipe is for a 3 lb batch.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick note to add about the nutritional yeast in Chrissy's recipe. It is a source of B vitamins, but I'm not sure it's a good thing for cats to consume regularly, especially in the amounts needed to meet B vitamin requirements. It contains a lot of phosphorus for one thing, and that can be a hazard for kidney function.

But, maybe it's a good sub for B vitamins in the supplement recipe. Does anyone happen know more about this?