Vitamin E

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting ready to start making cat food and want to buy my supplements. Given that cats are obligate carnivores, I want the supplements to come from animal sources when possible. I started looking to purchase vitamin E and found if it's natural, it's largely from sunflower or wheat germ oils.

A healthy adult cat, around 9 lbs, with a goal of 250 calories/day, needs 30 IU vitamin E/day. If we're using the d- form (not dl-), then 30 IU converts to 2.5 mg/day. If a cat is consuming fish oil, they need additional vitamin E. Per 500 mg of fish oil, 3.4 mg of Vitamin E should be added. So now we're at 5.9 mg Vitamin E/day.

Using this source for whole prey nutrient composition, the highest amount of vitamin E found in the animals studied was in neonatal rats. I calculated that neonatal rats contain 315 mg / kg, which is 1.9 mg / 170 g (170g = 6 oz). Obviously that would not be a balanced diet of itself, but it shows that it is impossible to meet the bare minimum vitamin E requirements of cats from the meat sources commercially available.

That last source also states that the diet of the prey affects their vitamin E content. Also, the nutritional requirements set for zoo animals are the minimum to prevent deficiency. More is required for a healthy immune system. We should probably be aiming much higher for our cats, easily 8 mg/day.

So, after spending most of my day off researching cat nutrition, I feel the need to breed rats and feed them sunflowers so my cats can have a species appropriate source of vitamin E. 🙃 Does anyone have anything to add about vitamin E?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the source of the vitamin E makes any difference. If it's in its pure form, it has no trace of where it came from. Domestic cats aren't true obligate carnivores anyway. They've been fed table scraps for thousands of years and so have developed longer GI systems to absorb a mixed diet.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the source of the vitamin E makes any difference. If it's in its pure form, it has no trace of where it came from. Domestic cats aren't true obligate carnivores anyway. They've been fed table scraps for thousands of years and so have developed longer GI systems to absorb a mixed diet.
That is not correct. The physiology of domestic cats has not changed much over the years. They are not dogs. They are true carnivores.